Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

Thx @Machinator 

What do those who were on the inside think? The Athletic spoke to four members of Texas’ 2020 staff who were granted anonymity in return for offering a clear picture of what Sarkisian inherits on the Longhorns’ roster.

A dynamic young running back
Running back Bijan Robinson averaged 8.2 yards per carry as a true freshman and added 15 catches for 192 yards and two receiving touchdowns in a debut campaign that featured some tantalizing flashes.

“He’s a stud,” said a former Texas coach we’ll call Coach One. “He should’ve played more (in 2020). If we played him more, we might not have lost those games we lost. In those games we lost, we couldn’t run the ball. He has the size, the speed. He should’ve played more.”

“He makes a lot of things right,” said the former Texas coach hereafter referred to as Coach Two.

In the last two games of the year against Kansas State and Colorado, Robinson more than doubled his rushing totals for the season with 355 yards on just 19 carries, four of which went for touchdowns.

Another 2020 staffer, whom we’ll call Coach Three, described the 6-foot, 222-pound freshman as having “Christian McCaffrey ability.”

“What I love about him the most is how humble he is,” Coach Three said. “He’s one of the most impressive 18-year-olds you will ever meet. A guy with that type of hype, it’s rare to be so humble with a hunger to be great. And he probably had the best hands on the entire team. I’ll be very shocked if he didn’t win the Heisman one day.”

I've been watching the Horns since Cotton Bowl '78, when I was seven years old, so I go back to Earl, who was my hero as a kid on the Oilers. I've seen lots of RBs come and go through the program. It's my favorite position and one I played in HS.

I vividly remember Ricky's first game against Hawaii, knowing we had something like Earl on our hands again. Butch Hadnot in peak form was just below that, but flamed out for whatever reason. Edwin Simmons burned out even faster but was unreal for 1/3 of a true freshman season until his mismatched legs caught up with him. Ced was always great but it never seemed like he had it in him to be truly spectacular. It took Jamaal a while to learn to hold on to the ball consistently, but that junior year of his was about as good a season as any I've seen. Foreman was kind of a cross between Ced and Williams.

Bijan, though? I think he could very well be the best we've ever had. Vision, quickness, power, explosive cuts, football IQ, sticky hands out of the backfield, unlike so many of our previous great backs aside from Jamaal. About all he lacks is the near Olympic top-end speed of Jamaal, but very few good football players are that fast. With this new staff in place, I'm calling my shot: Barring injury I expect him to be invited to the Heisman ceremony this year and the winner the next year.

And that might be conservative. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bijan, though? I think he could very well be the best we've ever had. Vision, quickness, power, explosive cuts, football IQ, sticky hands out of the backfield.  With this new staff in place, I'm calling my shot: Barring injury I expect him to be invited to the Heisman ceremony this year and the winner the next year.   And that might be conservative. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sure hope Roschon gets a shot in the NFL -- any info from scouts?

Really interested to see how SARK uses Roschon in this new offense

I think the path of least resistance to the NFL is some sort of H-back role. I'd say his current profile is: effective at short yardage, above-average pass catching, good blocker, good feet, above-average quickness, excellent leadership. 

He was listed at 192lbs as a recruit. He's already at 227 after two years in the program. Granted, he wasn't exactly shredded last year. I could see Ro using all three years of eligibility remaining to keep growing and developing that skillset--especially catching and blocking. 

'23 season 5th year senior RoJo could be a 6-1 240 H-back for a backfield of Blue, Owens, Brooks. NFL might take a good look. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Askew said:

I think the path of least resistance to the NFL is some sort of H-back role. I'd say his current profile is: effective at short yardage, above-average pass catching, good blocker, good feet, above-average quickness, excellent leadership. 

He was listed at 192lbs as a recruit. He's already at 227 after two years in the program. Granted, he wasn't exactly shredded last year. I could see Ro using all three years of eligibility remaining to keep growing and developing that skillset--especially catching and blocking. 

'23 season 5th year senior RoJo could be a 6-1 240 H-back for a backfield of Blue, Owens, Brooks. NFL might take a good look. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Askew said:

Thx, Good stuff "Askew"

RoJo is slightly bigger, but wonder if he can develop into the role of a player like Alvin Kamara ??

• 3 weeks later...

Thx TARS...

(Eric Nahlin) Spring Roster Audit: Offense

Running Back
Bijan Robinson: From a CFB perspective, the most talented Longhorn since...Colt? There’s not much he can’t do. His greatest strength to me is his ability to ignore the type of contact that significantly slows or stops other ball carriers. We’ll see more of his ability as a receiver this year.
Roschon Johnson: Love his versatility. He’s probably more comfortable hitting an immediate downhill lane than showing patience, but he’s still learning the position. Good hands, good blocker.
Daniel Young and Gabe Watson: Young could conceivably carve out a role in short yardage, though Bijan and Roschon run with urgency and power so maybe not. These guys will be depth.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

SIAP -- IT

Texas prepares to feature Bijan Robinson

Ian Boyd.   Jul 15, 2021  

th?id=OIF.DFFv9M%2BW15MkvTQHInufeQ&pid=I

Everyone knows what’s coming from Texas this next season. As soon as Steve Sarkisian and his staff were hired, there were infographics going up on Twitter about how Sark likes to feature a bell cow running back and after the end of the 2020 season, there was no question who he might have in mind for the role.

Bijan Robinson.

Any doubt on the question was resolved when it was the sophomore who was chosen to represent the offense at Big 12 Media days. If there was any doubt, his teammate and starting nose tackle Keondre Coburn had some words of warning for future Texas opponents.

“You better tackle him, I know that,” Coburn noted about attempts to “corral” Robinson. “Cause in practice we do these competitives so, you’ve got four downs to get off the field and he’ll get a first down on the first down and you’re just like, ‘come on…’ Any person going up against Bijan you better be ready to tackle cause for some reason he’s got the best balance in the world I’ve ever seen. You just gotta be ready to tackle him.”

Coburn continued,

“Me being big, I seen him one time and he was running the ball and I hit him with all my power and I thought he was down. Next thing I know he’s up, running for an extra 20 yards, I said ‘I can’t believe that.’ So, you gotta make sure he’s actually down, even if he’s down push him on the ground and make sure he is. That’s what I’ll say.”

I’m not sure if Sark will appreciate the tip for opponents to try and rough up Bijan but it comes with the job. Robinson himself noted he’s preparing for a rough and tumble season as the main guy.

“We have those conversations (on carrying a heavier load) a lot. Even back in high school I never really had over 20 carries ever in a game. So we just talked about making sure my endurance is up and that I’m ready for games like that. Make sure I’m prepared for anything that comes, cause I’ll do whatever I can to help the team whether it’s 25 carries, whether it’s 10 carries, you just gotta be productive on everything you do get. And I’m just ready for anything that comes and I have to be prepared menatlly and physically for all that.”

I asked Bijan when he really started to feel comfortable enough last season to carry the main load for Texas, his answer was deferential to the choices of the coaching staff.

“I feel it was more by the West Virginia game. That’s when everything started to slow down for me in college football. The first four games before that I was still trying to get my feet wet and trying to be at my best. As a young kid coming to college football it’s like me going from 8th grade to being a varsity player right away. You gotta get used to the game and understand what you’re getting yourself into so for me it was more of game 5 against West Virginia. That’s when I really started to see the game slow down for me and things to become natural.”

The big question for Texas is how to set Bijan up after years of aiming to be a dominant rushing team only to rely time and time again on quarterback play. Robinson has his own thoughts on how he likes to get the ball, saying of the new Sark offense…

“There’s a lot of really good plays that Coach Sark is bringing to the table. I just love, ever since I was a kid, I just love the counter play. That counter play is effective, you can do a lot of different things with it, you can read a lot of different mismatches, you can just read a defense. But there’s been so many plays Coach Sark has implemented into the offense and I’m just really excited for everything he’s bringing to the table."

Counter was a major component to the 2020 Alabama playbook, both for its use in springing their backs as well as setting up play-action for Mac Jones to chunk it deep. Texas did use the counter play some in 2020, particularly in Bijan’s breakout game against West Virginia.

The big question is how well the offensive line will be prepared to make it happen for Bijan. Coburn sounded optimistic.

“Oh, man, Kyle (Flood)…I don’t know what he did to em. More into the game, more aggression. Jake (Majors) is really nice, Christian (Jones) has improved his game 100 times, like Christian by far is probably the best offensive line I have seen so far. It’s just the fact that they want to work, they’re working hard for the quarterback, working hard for the running back, they more in love with the game.”

Will this be the season Texas puts a 5-star player on the field who can match the hype a program like the Longhorns can generate? This team and staff seem confident it will be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 9:44 AM, LTtxfan said:

Quote from @BurntOrange&White

"Keilan Robinson: With the DL getting the better of the OL, it’s given the Alabama transfer the chance to show he can make something out of nothing. His ability to jump cut then immediately accelerate out of trouble has impressed. We’ve said it before but the staff thinks it landed a stud in Robinson." 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, LTtxfan said:

Interesting if accurate... 

From IT...

EDGE Jett Bush: Rotational player. Reliable depth. Versatile. Still playing fullback. More athletic than people think. Will play behind Jacoby Jones. Might get some pass rush looks.

From IT...

Jett Bush, who has also practiced at fullback. He’s also sporting No. 43 as his previous No. 52 rendered him ineligible to catch a pass. 

Thx for this @satyanash

Short write-up by Scipio Tex regarding RB vs Louisiana 

RB

Throwing to the running backs (especially Bijan) is one of my pet peeves and apparently Sark likes pets. Robinson's 20-103-1 td rushing stat line is solid work on the ground, but Bijan did his real damage through the air, totaling 73 yards on 4 receptions. Roschon Johnson added a spectacular 3rd down conversion on a swing pass where he stutter-leaped a Cajun defender, ran predictably hard on his 8 other carries, and we even got to see 8 touches distributed to the nimble Keilan Robinson (8-41 in late action).

I like this running back room. Looking for improvement? Bijan missed a blitz pick up. 

Bijan Robinson- 0 Targets in the passing game vs Arky

"A week after catching 4 passes for 73 yards and a touchdown, Texas didn’t attempt to get the best player the ball in the passing game. Bijan instead spent most of the night fighting off tacklers in the backfield before muscling or spinning his way to 2-3 yard gains against light boxes. Going forward the staff has to find ways of getting Robinson the ball in open space or getting the QBs to check down to him more often."