An ode to feminine hygiene: Hot Tuna

Willfully Horn

I’d Ike to start a thread about Hot Tuna. Their Cactus Cafe shows in the ‘90s deserve mention on a UT message board. 

I was lucky enough to see them often, here in Austin. Jorma came through town on a solo tour one year. A buddy took an ounce of coke to the show in hopes of meeting him. He said they went through the whole ounce that night.

Jorma is one of the best guitar players on Earth. Still. Last night, he and Jack streamed a couple of sets from Fur Peace Ranch, which I gather is a high end guitar school.

Always great shows. Serious blues musicians.

And the infamous:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On August 24, 2020 at 2:33 PM, Willfully Horn said:

I’d Ike to start a thread about Hot Tuna. Their Cactus Cafe shows in the ‘90s deserve mention on a UT message board. 

I was lucky enough to see them often, here in Austin. Jorma came through town on a solo tour one year. A buddy took an ounce of coke to the show in hopes of meeting him. He said they went through the whole ounce that night.

Jorma is one of the best guitar players on Earth. Still. Last night, he and Jack streamed a couple of sets from Fur Peace Ranch, which I gather is a high end guitar school.

Always great shows. Serious blues musicians.

And the infamous:

Love me some Hot Tuna. Did you know they originally wanted to go by "Hot Shit?" Saner minds prevailed. 

Fur Peace Ranch is Jorma's home in Southern Ohio. He occasionally holds, or held, symposiums/seminars there teaching guitar, songwriting, etc. He'd have old friends come in to conduct workshops. I don't know what the status of that is these days but I knew a guy who attended once. I don't know how you'd go about attending but it was open to the average Joe. 

Jorma has friends in Columbus and I've been fortunate to see him perform solo and with Jack in really intimate settings. I've seen Jorma play on the big stage with the post-Jerry Grateful Dead offshoot Phil and Friends. I also saw Jefferson Airplane on their 1989 reunion tour which absolutely kicked ass and also included a Hot Tuna mini-set. That whole show was way better than I expected and they jammed hard. 

I've always been partial to acoustic Hot Tuna. But their electric stuff was pretty good too. 

I'm a big Jorma fan but Jack Cassady has to be one of the coolest motherfuckers in rock 'n' roll. That dude is a total badass. Strictly as a performer. Maybe he's a jerk in real life. But on stage he totally rules. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hadn’t heard the Hot Shit story. I’m not a guitar player, but I am familiar with the high end instruction/school model separate from academia. It’s a good model, and I’m glad Jorma is well situated.

Getting your life straight while continuing your artistic mastery is one gold standard. Kudos to Jorma. That thought always reopens the wound caused by losing Stevie so damn early.

Im with you. Electric, or acoustic, those dudes fucking tear it up. Jack is, indeed, one bad ass motherfucker.