Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/989998476040785922

Well crap guess I don't know how to embed a tweet on surly smdh

@EvanDaniels
FollowFollow @EvanDaniels
More

Texas moves to No. 8 in the @247Sports Team Rankings with the addition of Courtney Ramey. Class also includes Gerald Liddell, Kamaka Hepa, Jaxson Hayes & Brock Cunningham.

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

We either need to land Cremo or for Roach to return to Texas. Getting neither would be problematic.

Actually we need both to have a decent team, otherwise, Texas will have 3 upperclassmen. One who was awful in the 2nd half of the season and the other having never played consistent P6 level competition, and a 3rd who is battling cancer and may never play at Texas again.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Then why did you say "3rd who is battling cancer and may never play at Texas again"? 

One who was awful in the 2nd half of the season: Osetkowski

the other having never played consistent P6 level competition: Long

a 3rd who is battling cancer and may never play at Texas again: Jones

Not too hard

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

One who was awful in the 2nd half of the season: Osetkowski

the other having never played consistent P6 level competition: Long

a 3rd who is battling cancer and may never play at Texas again: Jones

Not too hard

But that's 3 upperclassmen scholarship players. Texas will have 4 upperclassmen scholarship players even if they don't "land Cremo and keep Roach". If Texas keeps Roach or lands Cremo they will have 4 upperclassmen scholarship players if Jones is considered part of the calculation. 

"Actually we need both to have a decent team, otherwise, Texas will have 3 upperclassmen." This is wrong. If just one of those happens Texas will have 4 upperclassmen scholarship players if Jones is considered part of the calculation. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Then why did you say "3rd who is battling cancer and may never play at Texas again"? 

I'm not counting on Roach returning at this point, and Jones was included because he's technically on the roster, but no one can reasonable expect him to play next year. Even if Cremo decided to pick Texas, 3 healthy upperclassmen in Shaka's 4th season is bad roster management.

Edited by HtownHorn

15 minutes ago, cafe society said:

"Indications."  Such a useful term.  Do you care to be more specific?  

Roach might go pro but the same "indications" were saying Jones and Davis were going pro in previous years. 

The "indications" are just online speculation from Texas boards. The speculation could be right or wrong. The two people I trust most in reference to Texas basketball news are McComas and Bitterwhiteguy. All I've seen from both is that Roach is thinking about going pro. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

"Indications."  Such a useful term.  Do you care to be more specific?  

Sure. Tim Beam, basketball editor at Inside Texas has mentioned this. I also talked to someone offline who's close to the program as well who said as much.

Apparently Roach has some questionable influences in his inner circle.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Sure. Tim Beam, basketball editor at Inside Texas has mentioned this. I also talked to someone offline who's close to the program as well who said as much.

Who wouldn't want a piece of that sweet Albanian League backup money?

It's silly, too, because the 2019 draft projects to be much weaker than this year's. With the addition of Long and Ramey, Roach's responsibilities as primary ballhandler should go way down even if Jones doesn't play a single minute next season. He can focus on his defense again and show that his shooting improvement after the hand injury wasn't just a fluke and potentially play his way into the late first round.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who wouldn't want a piece of that sweet Albanian League backup money?

You don't think he's good enough to come off the bench in the German league?

Either way, he'd be stupid to not come back for this senior year.

Edited by Chopper

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No offense because I really like the Inside Texas guys that cover football, but Beam has absolutely no idea what's going on with the Texas program. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep, which is why I followed up elsewhere.

Fair enough. I'm not leaning either way on Roach until McComas or Bitterwhiteguy chime in.  Those two have been money on most things related to Texas basketball.

Bottom line with Roach is it's obvious he's considering going pro or he would just announce he's returning. It's also obvious that he hasn't ruled out returning his SR year or he would hire an agent and just get this process started.  

Edited by texasstrong12

Also of note in reference to Roach, teams have started to invite players for individual workouts. I haven't seen anything about Roach being invited to workouts yet, but I'm going to guess Roach makes a decision after the workout process finishes. Tyler Davis (A&M) is in a similar situation as Roach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

It's silly, too, because the 2019 draft projects to be much weaker than this year's. With the addition of Long and Ramey, Roach's responsibilities as primary ballhandler should go way down even if Jones doesn't play a single minute next season. He can focus on his defense again and show that his shooting improvement after the hand injury wasn't just a fluke and potentially play his way into the late first round.

He will never be a late first Rd guy. He is at best a late second or ufa and that's if he comes back next year 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also of note in reference to Roach, teams have started to invite players for individual workouts. I haven't seen anything about Roach being invited to workouts yet, but I'm going to guess Roach makes a decision after the workout process finishes. Tyler Davis (A&M) is in a similar situation as Roach. 

Davis is just not athletic enough to make it in the NBA. Big guy but slow he will get eaten alive