Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

uh oh...........

Greg Brown
School: Vandegrift (Austin, Texas)
Position: Power Forward
Height/Weight: 6-9/195
Considering: Kentucky, Texas, Memphis, Auburn, North Carolina

The Buzz: Even though he’s visited all five schools, Brown’s only official visit was to Texas. He plans to take all of his officials and wait until the spring to decide once players go pro and fellow recruits have made their decisions. Brown, ranked No. 7 in the Chosen 25, expressed interest in playing with other elite players, which could suggest that the Tar Heels and the Wildcats have the upper hand.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/top-recruiting-battles-headed-into-basketball-early-signing-period/7

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The bit right before the part you bolded pretty much says the writer has no fucking clue where he's leaning.

Indeed, you can access the previous edits and see that the author had originally written, "Brown, ranked No. 7 in the Chosen 25, expressed zero interest in playing with other elite players, which could suggest that he's a big wuss," but decided at the last minute to go with the KY, NC angle.

• Like 1

the stats i got from IG on KJ's game last night turned out to be slightly exaggerated, but he still had what sounds like a helluva game vs a Manor team that is apparently supposed to be pretty good. from the AAS-

KJ Adams may be the lone superstar left on Westlake’s roster, but he shined bright against Manor Nov. 19 at Westlake High School.

Adams, a 6-foot-6 junior forward, poured in a career-high 39 points with 10 rebounds and six assists as No. 2 Westlake (3-0) pulled away for a 92-73 win over No. 1 Manor (1-1) in a meeting between the two highest-ranked teams in the American-Statesman’s preseason poll. The Class 6A Chaps needed Adams’ career game to fend off a loaded Class 5A Manor squad led by its own luminary in senior point guard Jamal Shead, a University of Houston pledge who had 33 points and five assists.

“There was definitely a lot of energy with Jamal on the court,” Adams said. “I’ve been playing against him forever (in youth basketball), so it was a lot of fun.”

Adams, who transferred into Westlake a year ago after playing his freshman season at nearby St. Stephen’s, is the latest in a string of Chap players with high-major collegiate offers. But unlike past stars such as Will Baker (a 2019 Westlake graduate now at Texas), Darius McBride (2019, SMU), Brock Cunningham (2018, Texas) and Matthew Mayer (2018, Baylor), Adams does not share the court with two other blue-chippers.

But Westlake coach Robert Lucero says Adams’ unselfish play — Adams often plays guard for his AAU team and is used to handling the ball — melds perfectly with a Westlake team rich in role players and sharp-shooters.

“Last year, we were so deep, so KJ fit right in with the team,” he said. “This year, he still facilitates when we need him to facilitate, he scores when we need him to score, he goes down low when we need him to, he goes on the perimeter ... he does it all.”

Adams did most of his early damage in the paint while posting up the smaller Mustangs for 12 points in the first quarter. As Manor began sending another defender into the paint, Adams began to collect assists. He fed Rory Munro and Diego Schlepper for back-to-back buckets early in the second period to give the Chaps a 27-17 lead. Manor made a brief push in the third period to close to within 49-42 before Westlake pulled away.

More Headlines

“Twenty-four (Adams) down low, we had no answer for him,” Manor coach Anthony Swain said. “And they have a bunch of shooters, so you can’t just double him because he’d find the open guys. He’s very unselfish and makes the right pass, and that’s hard to play against.”

Westlake, which missed starters Cade Mankle and Eain Mowat, made 10 of 18 three-pointers, including three from Carson May (13 points) and two apiece from Munro (13 points) and Blake Nielsen (four points). The Chaps also shared the ball, collecting 24 assists on their 38 field goals.

While Lucero gushed over Adams’ performance, he was just as pleased with how his short-handed team handled the pressure from a loaded Manor team that reached last season’s Class 5A state tournament.

“The reason we play so many guys and practice the way that we practice is that if someone does get sick or twists a knee or something, you have a bunch of guys ready to play,” he said. “I was proud of everyone.”

Augustine Arroyo heated up for Manor in the second half with 14 of his 16 points, and Ay’keen Richardson added 12 points. The Mustangs suffered a 42-16 deficit on the glass, but Swain said that’s just one reason he schedules a nondistrict matchup with the Chaps.

“I want to play the hardest games I can so I can see what we need to work on,” he said. “The wins and losses in these early games don’t really matter. It’s about getting better for late in the season.”

Edited by Goo Punch

I just looked at the ESPN Top 100 for 2020. Only 18 remain unsigned. The Big 12 is fairly well represented. Okie Lite has 2, including the No. 2 player in the country. Tech and Iowa State also have 2. Hell, even Baylor has 2. TCU, Kansas State, and West Va. have one. Surprisingly, with all its NCAA problems Kansas has 1.

How many do we have? Ah . . . that would be zero.

3 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

I just looked at the ESPN Top 100 for 2020. Only 18 remain unsigned. The Big 12 is fairly well represented. Okie Lite has 2, including the No. 2 player in the country. Tech and Iowa State also have 2. Hell, even Baylor has 2. TCU, Kansas State, and West Va. have one. Surprisingly, with all its NCAA problems Kansas has 1.

We only have 1 available scholarship and are saving it for Brown.  This isn't a concern unless he goes elsewhere.

Edited by txhorns

10 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

This is the basketball version of complaining about Texas not landing Marcel Brooks and Marquez Beason last year (in a knowing the landscape sense, not a criminality/grades sense).

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Okie lite has the #2 player because they hired his brother (I think it's his brother) on their staff. Regardless, I think we only have one scholly, anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

tech also leads for the #1 prospect in 2021

that adds up a little bit. a few years ago when gbiii and kj adams we're both in middle school our team played greg's team and demolished them, and one of our guys (Jordan Nicklos, now a WR at Westlake) was really able to get into gbiii's head to the point of nearly making him cry. in my experience something like that often coincides with having a hardcore helicopter dad being pissed off in the stands. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

How tall is KJ? Reminds me of PJ Tucker(better shot but is he a natural rebounder?), can't tell how tall he really is.

He's somewhere between 6'6" and 6'7", but he's been steadily growing since 6th grade. His body has never looked awkward, he has always filled out very well. And I pos repped you because I've had the same thought re: PJ Tucker. KJ is a bulldog who doesn't mind doing the dirty work just like Tucker. His work ethic is truly the best I've seen for a kid his age, and that dates back to middle school. 

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Has Adams said when he will announce?

it won't be until his senior year and i wouldn't be surprised if he waited until the spring. but to recap what we have going for us:

•we were his first offer, back when he was a freshman

•he's friends with Jaxson Hayes- "Hedgehog Fam" they call themselves. it includes Hayes, KJ, GB III, and maybe three other guys who i don't know 

•he's got a relationship with jarrett allen, as they both attended St.Stephens together 

•he went to school/played AAU ball with Will Baker and Brock Cunningham, and he attends UT home games pretty regularly 

so, fairly similar situation to GB III- home grown kid, some connections to the team and its players/former players, and not only likes UT, but is pretty high on Texas as well. These are the two biggest recruits to ever come out of the ATX area, and whether we sign neither, one, or both will go a long way towards shaping the program's future.

Edited by Goo Punch