Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

went watched KJ play today against Hays. He was predictably dominant. Hays didn't really offer anything in the way of slowing Westlake down. KJ probably shit something like 9/11 from the field and was 3/3 or 4/4 from the line. He also probably had 7-8 assists, five of them in the first half. KJ essentially sat out the 4Q as Westlake was running away with it. 

As for the Chaps, Coach Lucero has a really good team. They lost some talented players from last year, and physically they are far from imposing (it's KJ and a bunch of small guys who weigh 140 lbs), but they spread the floor very well, they move the ball well, they shot the ball well, and they hustle. Pretty impressive for them to be 20-1 on the season. 

forgot to post this at the time, but KJ was on an unofficial visit to Baylor when we played the other night. for those who don't hate themselves and therefore didn't watch, Baylor was terrible, yet they still held Texas to 44 points and won by 15. so that's less than ideal. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

forgot to post this at the time, but KJ was on an unofficial visit to Baylor when we played the other night. for those who don't hate themselves and therefore didn't watch, Baylor was terrible, yet they still held Texas to 44 points and won by 15. so that's less than ideal. 

I mean, we're in full dead coach walking mode anyway, so the bandaid might as well get ripped off.

I have to believe Brown is gone.  we are going to fire Shaka and it is a good "out" to use that to pick an actual basketball program and not have folks bugging you.  we'd have to hire a no brainer coach, which isn't happening.  this rebuild will take 2 years(possibly more) unless the new guy just kills it at JUCO's and Transfer Mkt.

Shaka doesn't have a buyout, he had a guata teed contract. And Beard isn't happening. We'd have to pay Shaka and his assistants to leave, then pay Beard's buyout, then sign Beard and his assistants to long term deals. That would be in excess of $20M for a basketball hire, which will never happen at Texas. 

and yeah the GB III ship has been sailing away from Texas for some time now, unfortunately. gonna have to hope Shaka's replacement can at least get KJ to give Texas a hard look, otherwise that is just bad, bad, bad for our program to let two 5 stars from our own backyard go elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and yeah the GB III ship has been sailing away from Texas for some time now, unfortunately. gonna have to hope Shaka's replacement can at least get KJ to give Texas a hard look, otherwise that is just bad, bad, bad for our program to let two 5 stars from our own backyard go elsewhere. 

Would love to keep them but I'll gladly trade them for a leader who can coach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RabidM said:

Can we afford to fire Shaka? (money wise)  I know we have resources, but that's still a huge number he's owed... and possibly without an offset because of how stupid things were run back then.

I can't say I'm at all hooked in to the BMDs or AD funding, but there is an inflection point at which you have to decide what kind of athletic program you want to have, and basketball has reached it.

The new stadium is going to be kickass, and the expense would have been a good excuse if UT had scraped onto the tournament bubble, but the team is an embarrassment.

CDC's most recent comments weren't exactly a ringing "we're keeping him for next year, guys", either:

“We understand they want us to be successful,” Del Conte said. “There’s also those kids working hard. Shaka is working his tail off. We also have to do everything we can to support our coaches and our student-athletes. The noise around him is real, and I acknowledge that.”  

Edited by texifornia