Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

Can we afford to fire Shaka? (money wise)  I know we have resources, but that's still a huge number he's owed... and possibly without an offset because of how stupid things were run back then.

I believe he is owed $11m at the end of season. Remainder of contract plus a buyout bonus. Compare that to what would happen if enthusiasm and fundraising for the bball program lag and the new arena doesn't receive the necessary donations. CDC needs to get that built because there are other plans for the Drum.

48 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I believe he is owed $11m at the end of season. Remainder of contract plus a buyout bonus. Compare that to what would happen if enthusiasm and fundraising for the bball program lag and the new arena doesn't receive the necessary donations. CDC needs to get that built because there are other plans for the Drum.

Ive never seen anything about a buyout bonus. I’m pretty sure it’s just the remainder of his fully guaranteed contract, approximately $10.3 million paid out over 3 years, plus anything owed to assistants who are let go. 

Also, there aren’t any needed donations for the stadium. UT isn’t paying for any of it, so a lag in stadium donation isn’t a factor. If anything, CDC not having to hit up boosters for the stadium should make it easier for him to fundraise for a new coach’s buyout and Shaka’s salary. 

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ive never seen anything about a buyout bonus. I’m pretty sure it’s just the remainder of his fully guaranteed contract, approximately $10.3 million paid out over 3 years, plus anything owed to assistants who are let go. 

Also, there aren’t any needed donations for the stadium. UT isn’t paying for any of it, so a lag in stadium donation isn’t a factor. If anything, CDC not having to hit up boosters for the stadium should make it easier for him to fundraise for a new coach’s buyout and Shaka’s salary. 

I knew as soon as I clicked the submit button that I should've qualified my post with my recollection is hazy and I have no firsthand knowledge so someone else is bound to know more than me. There was approximately an extra mil in addition to what's owed Shaka that I recall being discussed but maybe that's the asst coaches money as you mentioned. Also - are we talking about the same thing - where you wrote stadium do you mean arena?

Edited by Chopper

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I knew as soon as I clicked the submit button that I should've qualified my post with my recollection is hazy and I have no firsthand knowledge so someone else is bound to know more than me. There was approximately an extra mil in addition to what's owed Shaka that I recall being discussed but maybe that's the asst coaches money as you mentioned. Also - are we talking about the same thing - where you wrote stadium do you mean arena?

Yeah, I think the extra money was assumed assistant buyout. And even with the fired coaches’ salaries, they’re owed over time so we wouldn’t have to raise the full $11 million at once. It would either be paying him the his contract over the next three years or settling with him for a lump sum of less than $11 million. 

Yeah, the new arena is being fully funded by the entity UT has partnered with for leasing rights of the arena. https://news.utexas.edu/2018/12/20/world-class-ut-basketball-arena-will-host-longhorns-benefit-austin-community/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So....is the new arena opening up for the '21-'22 season?  Or next season?  Because I could see a scenario where he's held on to for one more "dead man walking" year in the mausoleum, just for the sake of not wasting money.

Given that the school isn't paying for it, that excuse won't fly this year.

I was just referring to eliminating one year of paying the new coach + Shaka.  Next year (assuming we'll be in the FEC) the team and the environment will suck again, so why not make Shaka suffer through it, then cut him loose, and be at "peak attractiveness" for a new coach.

Either way, I'll shut up now because presently, I really don't give a shit....UT basketball is all but dead to me.

39 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I was just referring to eliminating one year of paying the new coach + Shaka.  Next year (assuming we'll be in the FEC) the team and the environment will suck again, so why not make Shaka suffer through it, then cut him loose, and be at "peak attractiveness" for a new coach.

Oh, so like Clay Helton. That seems to be working fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shaka probably saved his job if he wins the final regular season game. One win in the B12 tournament means we're probably in the big dance. Do we even need to win a B12 tourney game to go to the tournament?  If Shaka isn't here next year, it's because he doesn't want to be and negotiated a buyout to move on.  We're not firing him with that buyout after making the tournament.  

Edited by RabidM

55 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Shaka probably saved his job if he wins the final regular season game. One win in the B12 tournament means we're probably in the big dance. Do we even need to win a B12 tourney game to go to the tournament?  If Shaka isn't here next year, it's because he doesn't want to be and negotiated a buyout to move on.  We're not firing him with that buyout after making the tournament.  

I can get behind this. So what are the possible/available destinations?

5 hours ago, RabidM said:

Disagree if there's some kind of agreement with Beilein.  Not having to pay a buyout for a new coach more than makes up for having to pay the extra 3 mil this year. 

1. We only have 1 spot open next year 

2. Basketball and football recruiting work a lot differently, only 9 of ESPN's top 60 are committed so far 

Of course both of these are reasons in favor of firing him as soon as possible

10 minutes ago, RabidM said:

A lot of conference tournaments are being cancelled. I wonder if they cancel the big dance... if not, I wonder if we're in it without other teams stealing bubble spots by winning their conference tournament. 

Probably. But more relevant to UT basketball, the stock/oil crash probably saves Shaka's job.

Brown and his dad were on the news, talking about the decision.  Dad said Shaka's had an impact on Greg for the last 5 years ... but reiterated that his own Longhorn history wasn't going to be the biggest factor.  (Said his dad wanted him to go to ND, but he chose Texas.)

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Who is our coach that is doing this recruiting? Our best one is leaving because presumably Shaka is a dead man walking.

Uh, Yaklich is leaving because he got a head coach offer in his home state.

Shaka's only still here bc of the economy, but there's no need to satya it up.

• Like 3

Just now, texifornia said:

Uh, Yaklich is leaving because he got a head coach offer in his home state.

Shaka's only still here bc of the economy, but there's no need to satya it up.

I hear you, but is Shaka really going to be our coach next year? I just can't see us signing anybody right now. With that said, I do appreciate your posts, so let me know if I need to keep my opinions to myself: I really don't want to be a Hornfans company man or a satya negative Nancy.

40 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I hear you, but is Shaka really going to be our coach next year? I just can't see us signing anybody right now. With that said, I do appreciate your posts, so let me know if I need to keep my opinions to myself: I really don't want to be a Hornfans company man or a satya negative Nancy.

Well let me tell you when you can find out the answer to that question:

(Our scholarship numbers are crazy tight so it's going to be a one-man class as well)