Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

I hope there’s no thoughts of playing pro ball overseas. Michigan just lost their top recruit for deciding to play pro. I’ve been in the Brown fan club for some years now so id be ecstatic to see him come here. I can see us having a similar season to the year we had Durant but.....it would make me watch games and not shut it down like last year. 🙄(before we turned good)

Fully expecting GB3 to go to the G-league after all of the announcements today, the NBA is way too organized with the way they're pushing this and I won't blame him a bit for forgoing college to play with a bunch of 5*'s to get paid ~500k along with future tuition. 

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

Fully expecting GB3 to go to the G-league after all of the announcements today, the NBA is way too organized with the way they're pushing this and I won't blame him a bit for forgoing college to play with a bunch of 5*'s to get paid ~500k along with future tuition. 

“Everything is open for discussion with me,” Brown’s father, Greg Brown Jr., told The Chop Shop on Thursday. “Everything has to be a good fit. Everything has to align. We’re not going to make a decision to do anything haphazardly or just because somebody else did it — that’s got nothing to do with us.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/4/16/21223926/jalen-green-greg-brown-isaiah-todd-nba-g-league-pathway

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

What announcements today? (Im not paying attention)

29 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

What announcements today? (Im not paying attention)

G-league is making a team based in LA specifically for 5* one and done types.  They announced 2 players today including the #1 projected pick in the 2021 draft. His "total compensation package" is estimated around 1 mil including tuition for when he does go to school. 

I’m confused. Is g league not tied to nba like minor league baseball is to mlb, such that a team needs to acquire your rights before they can assign you?

if not, I’m interested in seeing how a year there vs college affects draftability.  What if you don’t make an impact on that g league team while playing against pros?

is 20/10 in college better than 10/5 there?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m confused. Is g league not tied to nba like minor league baseball is to mlb, such that a team needs to acquire your rights before they can assign you?

if not, I’m interested in seeing how a year there vs college affects draftability.  What if you don’t make an impact on that g league team while playing against pros?

What if you don't make an impact on your college team and also don't get paid $400,000 while doing it?

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

is 20/10 in college better than 10/5 there?

It is, but it'd be a select team specifically designed for these one and done types.  Obviously they're not getting 12 of those this season, so they'll fill it out with standard g-league players as well. Also, plenty of 5*s have had disappointing first years and still go into the draft and get drafted highly, hell look at someone like Cam Reddish last year.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What if you don't make an impact on your college team and also don't get paid $400,000 while doing it?

That’s always been a risk.  The new choice is to take money and go play against a higher level of competition, with presumably better teammates.  
A 5 star should get their numbers in college where half the games are against much worse competition. 

but if teams continue to draft on athleticism and measurables it shouldn’t be a big deal either way. 

and, what’s the going rate to get a 5 star player to campus these days?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It usually is, but the G-League is creating a "Select Team" that is unaffiliated with an NBA team and is meant to focus on development of young players and will not play a full G-League schedule or be counted in the G-League standings.

I posted this on the basketball thread, but x-posting here:

Back in 2018, the NBA announced that starting this year, high school graduates would be able to play one year in the G league for $125,000 before being draft eligible instead of going to college:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/sports/nba-g-league-one-and-done.html

However, that structure was recently revamped in order to convince top players not to go overseas to play professionally before they were draft eligible (ala Lamelo Ball)

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29043828/sources-top-high-school-player-jalen-green-enter-nba-g-league-pathway

Jalen Green, one of the top 2020 prospects is expected to make around $500,000 plus will be able to sign shoe and other endorsement deals. They will get placed on a Select Team, probably in SoCal, unaffiliated with a current NBA squad, that will focus on development, mentorship, life-skills, etc and will play against G-league teams (that don't count for G league standings), NBA academy teams, foreign teams, etc.

Excerpts:

"NBA commissioner Adam Silver and G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim have worked to eliminate two massive hurdles to convincing players uninterested in college basketball to pass on the lucrative National Basketball League of Australia by providing a massive salary increase and a structure that doesn't include playing full time in the G League."

"...yearlong developmental program with G League oversight that will include professional coaching, top prospects and veteran players who will combine training and exhibition competitions against the likes of G League teams, foreign national teams and NBA academies throughout the world, sources said."

"The season could include 10 to 12 games against G League teams that wouldn't count in standings, sources said. The primary objective will be assimilation and growth into the NBA on several levels -- from playing to the teaching of life skills.

The salary bonus structure in Green's contract, for example, is expected to include financial incentives for games played, completing community events and attending life skills programs coordinated by the G League's oversight of the program, sources said.

The NBA's plan is to stock this team with veteran pro players who would be willing to balance mentorship of Green and other prospects with the personal opportunities that might emerge because of the intense NBA scouting exposure that will come with these teams."

"Without the restrictions of NCAA amateurism rules, players are free to hire agents, profit from likenesses and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies worth hundreds of thousands of dollars."

This article goes into detail as to why the NBA finally said enough is enough. They got tired of watching elite American players leave the country to enhance other leagues around the world. They assumed the NCAA would finally come around to do something about it, but they finally saw the writing on the wall that it would never happen under Ehmert's leadership. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nb-as-lifts-a-middle-finger-to-college-basketball-205205349.html

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This article goes into detail as to why the NBA finally said enough is enough. They got tired of watching elite American players leave the country to enhance other leagues around the world. They assumed the NCAA would finally come around to do something about it, but they finally saw the writing on the wall that it would never happen under Ehmert's leadership. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nb-as-lifts-a-middle-finger-to-college-basketball-205205349.html

Eh. That’s the easiest reason they can give publicly, but there weren’t that many prominent players going overseas.

The real reason is they know nabbing all the best players will allow them to create more revenue for the league, and the NCAA isn’t going to start paying players to compete. Not to mention that college basketball doesn’t do much in the way of developing one and dones. Guys will be better and more ready for the NBA if they train in the G League for a year. 

I don’t think it matters too much, as I expect the NBA will do away with the one and done rule soon, and poaching all the best one and dones now makes it that much easier for them to abolish the rule in a year or two. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. That’s the easiest reason they can give publicly, but there weren’t that many prominent players going overseas.

The real reason is they know nabbing all the best players will allow them to create more revenue for the league, and the NCAA isn’t going to start paying players to compete. Not to mention that college basketball doesn’t do much in the way of developing one and dones. Guys will be better and more ready for the NBA if they train in the G League for a year. 

I don’t think it matters too much, as I expect the NBA will do away with the one and done rule soon, and poaching all the best one and dones now makes it that much easier for them to abolish the rule in a year or two. 

College basketball turning into college baseball with a more hyped postseason seems fine to me. The one-and-dones always made the whole student-athlete veneer uncomfortably thin in a way that football, with the players having to stick around for a few years even if they never step foot in a classroom, doesn't deal with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

College basketball turning into college baseball with a more hyped postseason seems fine to me. The one-and-dones always made the whole student-athlete veneer uncomfortably thin in a way that football, with the players having to stick around for a few years even if they never step foot in a classroom, doesn't deal with.

Yeah. I’d probably change it to only having to stay 2 years, but I’m all for the baseball system in basketball. 

Also curious to see if players that go to that team sign shoe and other deals, and for how much.  If you can guarantee yourself a few million, I don’t know why they wouldn’t do it. Then if you completely bust and don’t get off the bench much, you have plenty of money with which to start and you will still likely get an nba contract worth some number of additional millions, even if it’s less because you drop from a top 10 pick to 20 or 30. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sounds like the G-league turned up the heat yesterday. They're negatively recruiting college as a whole and have NBA personnel reaching out to Greg to make their case.

2pm.

If they are only offering the kid 150k-200k, I say he goes to Texas.  He will have a bigger opportunity to really stand out and let his play speak playing college ball.  No one is tuning into seeing the Austin Toros face off with the Ft Wayne whatevers.  Also the NCAA better nut up and allow these kids to get some type of extra compensation..from marketing or sponsorships..  They still win with letting Nike make Brown a star while hooping for Texas.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

If they are only offering the kid 150k-200k, I say he goes to Texas.  He will have a bigger opportunity to really stand out and let his play speak playing college ball.  No one is tuning into seeing the Austin Toros face off with the Ft Wayne whatevers.  Also the NCAA better nut up and allow these kids to get some type of extra compensation..from marketing or sponsorships..  They still win with letting Nike make Brown a star while hooping for Texas.

It's closer to 400k. They would also play on a select team that exhibitions against g league teams and national teams. They wouldn't be dropped into the g league system. Sounds a lot like Real World: Basketball

How does that g league salary compare to euro, Chinese, or Aussie pro ball salary for a year?  That is almost like a basketball major study abroad deal. To me, that would be more fun than a year in Los Angeles practicing and playing in scrimmages. But I’m almost as far from a 17 (black) athlete as one can get. 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I know CDC hasn’t made a Big 3 hire yet, and the fact he hasn’t in basketball is a mark against him at this point, but man when the time comes, I think I’m gonna have a lot of confidence in him. Based on the early returns, he’s absolutely killed it with Softball and WBB, and I love that he wasn’t afraid to throw our weight around in money whipping an elite candidate like Schaefer. There’s been way too many times in the last decade plus, that Texas refuses to simply identify the best candidate in the country and go get them. 

• Like 5