Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

fwiw: 

Like the other pledge in the class, North Carolina power forward Keeyan Itejere, Ellis is an under-the-radar prospect whose stock hasn’t had a chance to take off yet due to the coronaviruspandemic. The 6’5, 175-pound point guard only boasts three other offers at this time — Bryant, Louisiana Tech, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

So when Texas offered in June, Ellis didn’t need much time to decide.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

he sounds like 95% of the guys Shaka recruits- a late bloomer, lowly ranked/unranked but rising, more of an athlete than a basketball player, he can't shoot, he looks to be a 4 year project type of guy if he's going to reach his potential, except that if Shaka is correct in his assessment of this kid's potential, then he'll be here for 1-2 underwhelming years before being taken in the top 15 of the NBA draft after winning nothing at Texas. nothing personal to the kid, but i'm kind of sick of recruiting kids like him. oh well. we do need as many commits as we can get, but i'm just tired of recruiting "projects" who don't even stick around long enough to have any worthwhile impact on the program. 

This is the dumbest take I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve had access to the internet. What’s your solution? 5 stars are one and done, projects are too successful, so let’s just have a bunch of walk-on’s with no potential. At least they won’t leave to play professional basketball and be an advocate for the university on a world wide scale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ryno said:

This is the dumbest take I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve had access to the internet. What’s your solution? 5 stars are one and done, projects are too successful, so let’s just have a bunch of walk-on’s with no potential. At least they won’t leave to play professional basketball and be an advocate for the university on a world wide scale. 

I believe you've actually stumbled into a significantly worse take here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ryno said:

Agreed. That was horribly stupid. He wants good players but not TOO GOOD. And they can't start out bad, either. They have to be mediocre from the beginning of their college career until the end. And lead the team to a solid tournament performance.

It sounds like he's used to how football works, not basketball. You can't have the same standard because football players can't leave as early.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, lazygringo said:

Agreed. That was horribly stupid. He wants good players but not TOO GOOD. And they can't start out bad, either. They have to be mediocre from the beginning of their college career until the end. And lead the team to a solid tournament performance.

It sounds like he's used to how football works, not basketball. You can't have the same standard because football players can't leave as early.

lol, i didn't say anything remotely resembling that, but ok.

such a special kid. 

home grown, friends with Greg Brown, Brock Cunningham, and Jaxson Hayes, has a good relationship with Jarrett Allen, is a former teammate of Will Baker, and Texas was his first offer. gosh i hope he picks Texas. however, if he doesn't, then man it is going to suck if he commits to Baylor. anywhere but Baylor.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

its because 5* damion collins has been a silent for more than a month now

i mean, we're going to legit sign six guys in this class. seems like there should have been room for both, especially since KJ is more of a SF/PF hybrid. he's essentially the type of project that Shaka likes, only more physically/developmentally advanced. it kinda hurts not to land him. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:23 PM, Radical Larry said:

It’s Kansas.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, texifornia said:

He got exiled by immamac.

Derka must be in a dark place right now. Not only does KJ Adams go to Kansas, but he doesn't even get to come on Surly to Derka this thread rage posting about Shaka. 

On 7/31/2020 at 11:24 PM, shadow_operative said:

i mean, we're going to legit sign six guys in this class. seems like there should have been room for both, especially since KJ is more of a SF/PF hybrid. he's essentially the type of project that Shaka likes, only more physically/developmentally advanced. it kinda hurts not to land him. 

No chance they want to take 6 in this class. 6 FR in a single class is a recipe for disaster. Likely taking around 4 with a couple grad transfers. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:49 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

According to the interwebs we didn't really make him much of a priority

we were his first offer (we offered him when he was in 9th grade) and hosted him at a ton of games and several unofficial visits. we definitely made him a priority. maybe that changed once it was clear that he wasn't coming here, but we wanted him for sure. with all of the connections that he has to the program and it's current/former players, it sounds like the interwebs are saying, "no we didn't want him anyway", after the fact, which is very aggyish. of course we wanted a home grown HS star to commit to Texas in a year where we face a 100% rebuild. the kid obviously didn't want to sign up for that. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

wrong texas stopped recruiting him  when collins gave his silent 

I'm not sure that would have much impact as Collins and Adams seem to project to different positions but I don't think you're wrong. I believe McComas said a few months ago that Texas was kind of meh on Adams. 

Seems like they prioritized somebody like Joplin over Adams and really they're recruiting ranking isn't that much different. Rivals has also been hinting at a bump for Joplin so they're probably going to be ranked in similar spots before the process is over. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we were his first offer (we offered him when he was in 9th grade) and hosted him at a ton of games and several unofficial visits. we definitely made him a priority. maybe that changed once it was clear that he wasn't coming here, but we wanted him for sure. with all of the connections that he has to the program and it's current/former players, it sounds like the interwebs are saying, "no we didn't want him anyway", after the fact, which is very aggyish. of course we wanted a home grown HS star to commit to Texas in a year where we face a 100% rebuild. the kid obviously didn't want to sign up for that. 

Evaluations shift.

Adams was a top 30 prospect by most of the recruiting services a year ago and now he's the #72 composite ranked recruit. 247 dropped him all the way down to the #92 ranked recruit. You're still viewing Adams as a 5 star type when the recruiting services really don't see much difference between Joplin and Adams. 

247 has Adams as the #19 PF. Joplin is the #30 PF but once the Rivals update happens they're going to be ranked almost identically in the composite. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no, i'm essentially saying what longhornmatt said above- we didn't stop recruiting a top 100 kid from Austin when we're out here offering kids who aren't even ranked by major services due to our desperate need bodies for 2021. believing that we backed off Adams is naive. 

I am more concerned about how our coaches rank the young men than the services.

Dustin McComas says a lot of stuff that turns out to be total BS, because his job is to spin the story into whatever makes UT look good.  UT did not feverishly recruit Adams from the time he was 15 and then suddenly become "meh" on him, especially considering that he's only gotten better as a player this entire time. Adams never seriously considered UT, and being that he's friends with half the team that was never a secret to our staff. Texas became "meh" about Adams when it became clear that he was never going to come here. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no, i'm essentially saying what longhornmatt said above- we didn't stop recruiting a top 100 kid from Austin when we're out here offering kids who aren't even ranked by major services due to our desperate need bodies for 2021. believing that we backed off Adams is naive. 

Itejere almost certainly projects to the 5 as he keeps getting bigger. Ellis is a combo guard. They're going to be utilized at different positions so I don't know why those players would impact a guy that's probably going to play the 3 and 4. 

I don't think the crystal balls for Joplin are a coincidence. It looks like they prioritized a different player at the position and the idea that Adams is a substantially better player than Joplin is nonsense. They're both going to be ranked around the same spot at the end of the cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

UT did not feverishly recruit Adams from the time he was 15 and then suddenly become "meh" on him

This is exactly what happened with the recruiting services. They thought Adams was a 5 star and then dropped him in the rankings a year later. They went from thinking Adams was a legit 5 star type to just a pretty good 4 star. 

Evaluations can change for coaches and recruiting services.  

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

you keep talking about recruiting services in every post, as if KJ Adams dropping in the rankings is iron clad proof that Texas coaches decided "hey we no longer want this kid", when it's anything but. after all KU, Baylor, and Tech all still wanted KJ Adams, and Texas is out here taking commits from kids who are excited to have offers from Utah Valley and Radford. the idea that we turned KJ Adams is away just doesn't add up. 

ive seen this my entire life with some people who are really hardcore at following recruiting- you get all of your info from people with an agenda and you take it as the gospel truth. you can read a million words written by these guys over the last five years and all you'll see is them bending over backwards not to criticize Texas/whatever program they cover. these are pretty much the last people you can look at as being objective.

besides which, if we actually did decide to stop recruiting a talented combo forward like Adams in a class where we really really need bodies then that's not a positive for our program anyway. you don't give up on a talent like that whom you've been recruiting for several years when you're out here getting commits from multiple 0 star guys who didn't grow up in your own backyard. that's not how this works. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

you just keep talking about recruiting services in every post, as if KJ Adams dropping in the rankings is iron clad proof that Texas coaches decided "hey we no longer want this kid",

I don't have proof Texas didn't want KJ Adams. I'm reading between the lines based on the comments from McComas, Joplin's rise in recruiting/with the crystal ball predictions, and the fact that KJ Adams is far from the "must get" type recruit he was 1 year ago. 

The fact you keep using language like "you don't give up on a talent like that" tells me you think Adams is still a 5 star type when reality is most people don't agree with that. The recruiting services view Adams as a good 4 star player similar to where Joplin will be ranked after the Rivals update. The idea Texas might have passed on Adams (a recruit falling in the rankings) for Joplin (a recruit rising in the rankings) is far from a hot take. 

• Hook 'Em 2

we can go back and forth on this all day, so i'll just say this and call it a night. consider KJ's stats, resume, hometown, rankings, and connections to the UT basketball program, and you decide what you think happened. to recap KJ Adams' connections to UT Basketball:

•Was offered by Texas as a freshman and has taken in more games/unofficial visits than any other recruit we have 

•He went to school with/has a relationship with Jarrett Allen

•He is a member of the "Hedgehog Fam", a small group of friends comprised of elite basketball players including Greg Brown III and Jaxson Hayes

•Went to school with and was teammates with Will Baker and Brock Cunningham

•His personal trainer is Jessica Vaiana, the same woman who personally trains Sam Ehlinger.

•Adams/Ehlinger/Vaiana train at Train 4 The Game, the gym in Westlake that's owned by former UT basketball S&C coach Todd Wright 

•Adams spent lots of time personally training with Justin Mason at T4TG

•Adams worked out with many other UT/former UT athletes at T4TG

all of that, and then when KJ Adams commits to Kansas it comes out that "we didn't want him anyway; we moved on from him a while back." make your own decision based on these facts. if you still believe that Texas just stopped recruiting Adams while all of the best teams in the Big XII stayed after him, then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona that i'd like to sell you. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

all of that, and then when KJ Adams commits to Kansas it comes out that "we didn't want him anyway; we moved on from him a while back." make your own decision based on these facts. if you still believe that Texas just stopped recruiting Adams then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona that i'd like to sell you. 

Great fucking song, I'll give ya that

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we can go back and forth on this all day, so i'll just say this and call it a night. consider KJ's stats, resume, hometown, rankings, and connections to the UT basketball program, and you decide what you think happened. to recap KJ Adams' connections to UT Basketball:

•Was offered by Texas as a freshman and has taken in more games/unofficial visits than any other recruit we have 

•He went to school with/has a relationship with Jarrett Allen

•He is a member of the "Hedgehog Fam", a small group of friends comprised of elite basketball players including Greg Brown III and Jaxson Hayes

•Went to school with and was teammates with Will Baker and Brock Cunningham

•His personal trainer is Jessica Vaiana, the same woman who personally trains Sam Ehlinger.

•Adams/Ehlinger/Vaiana train at Train 4 The Game, the gym in Westlake that's owned by former UT basketball S&C coach Todd Wright 

•Adams spent lots of time personally training with Justin Mason at T4TG

•Adams worked out with many other UT/former UT athletes at T4TG

all of that, and then when KJ Adams commits to Kansas it comes out that "we didn't want him anyway; we moved on from him a while back." make your own decision based on these facts. if you still believe that Texas just stopped recruiting Adams while all of the best teams in the Big XII stayed after him, then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona that i'd like to sell you. 

That was a lot of nonsense. 

I don't give two shits about Adams relationship with Texas, Texas players, former players, trainers, etc. Texas football passes on good players in the Austin area that have strong ties to UT every cycle. What's your point? 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Overrated recruits that aren’t to our standard often sign with ... Kansas.   

Somehow that makes me doubt he’s the basketball recruit equivalent of Branard Wright, no matter how much he’s dropped on Rivals rankings.

Well, evaluation for the most part has never been Shaka's problem. It's how he utilizes them. 

And nobody is saying KJ Adams is overrated. He's a good player but not the "must get" type he was 2 years ago. The idea Texas might have a different evaluation for a recruit is far from earth-shattering news. 

In the last 2 cycles, Alabama football has taken Damieon George and Blackshire both guys Texas really didn't seem to be high on. Most of the board, I think, would agree that it was the right move to pass on those guys. The idea Texas can't have different evaluations than some of the top schools is nonsense especially when there other top prospects available at the same position. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Overrated recruits that aren’t to our standard often sign with ... Kansas.   

Somehow that makes me doubt he’s the basketball recruit equivalent of Branard Wright, no matter how much he’s dropped on Rivals rankings.

the moment collins committed shaka started working on joplin & stopped his adams pitch 

shaka liked joplin better i dont know whats so hard about comprehending this 

joplin has a midrange shot & can shoot 3's adams can not 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2