Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

This thread is meaningless until we get a new coach. I thought this guy was going to be the best hire the basketball program has ever had. Maybe we can keep him on as a recruiting coordinator.

His VCU teams were so so fun to watch. We got... none of that.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Maybe he needs to be at a program that is a big underdog, but you can only be one for so long.

All I know, its not working here. Fairly certain, next year is his last year.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, texifornia said:

In Shaka’s first year, I had a current Big 12 ref tell me Shaka has no idea what he’s doing when it comes to drawing up plays. I told him he’s stupid and Shaka would win big at Texas......I’m stupid.

10 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

In Shaka’s first year, I had a current Big 12 ref tell me Shaka has no idea what he’s doing when it comes to drawing up plays. I told him he’s stupid and Shaka would win big at Texas......I’m stupid.

Well the Big 12 refs all suck.

• Like 2

If you were close enough to a ref for him to tell you that, then you should've punched him in the face for all of the bad reffing we've had to endure.

• Like 2

Why do we care? Big XII refs are fucking stupid and terrible at their jobs. What makes you think they know the first thing about drawing up good plays. About as useful as insight about OL play from Bobby Burton.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Cremo would be manna from heaven.  Who was the last player we had who was a great shooter from beyond the arc.

Since 2011 (Jordan Hamilton) you’re looking at Pappapetrou, Felix, Mack, and EDJ as our best shooters. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 3/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, texifornia said:

Good luck finding recruits that want to play the way VCU played. NBA prospects want to play NBA style. Shaka needs to continue adapting. I think he can do it. The man is not an idiot. 

1 hour ago, Majorcholas said:

Cremo would be awesome. We have to be in it with all the playing time available. Especially if roach declares.

(On the past shooter discussion...damn I miss j’covan. That guy was fun to watch play)

Roach isn't declaring unless he wants to be stuck in the g league. He's not nba material 

Edited by utfan87

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't even think Shaka's struggles here are all that complicated, his teams can't shoot for shit. A guy like Cremo would be a godsend for him.

Pretty much this. I think people make way too much out of Xs and Os and actual coaching ability. Shooting is the biggest issue. Our inability to shoot impacts the game much more than any coaching decision/philosophy.

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't even think Shaka's struggles here are all that complicated, his teams can't shoot for shit. A guy like Cremo would be a godsend for him.

Maybe what's complicated is Shaka's past unwillingness/inability to sign real shooters. To a great extent, I don't think the guys currently on the team forgot how to shoot well; they never really could to start with. At least, not against B12-level defense. Why correcting that wasn't prioritized earlier I'm not sure. And yes, I realize the loss of Jones factors into this problem.

Edited by Gut Wagon

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Pretty much this. I think people make way too much out of Xs and Os and actual coaching ability. Shooting is the biggest issue. Our inability to shoot impacts the game much more than any coaching decision/philosophy.

Meh. If you guys can't shoot for shit, then come up with something that gives them a better chance to score. Like, oh I don't know, a pressuring, full-court defense that will generate turnovers and layups for guys not named Dylan.

This is the same problem I have with Herman and Beck with their lack of offense. It is fine to have a system that you are building to maximize, but when you have injuries or don't have the personnel to run it effective, at least have enough coaching acumen to tweak the system or even install some different things to give your guys a chance to win. These coaches get paid way too much money to be brain-dead slaves to a system that means disappointment any season where there are a few injuries or one or two players didn't develop in the way you thought they would.

Edited by rickyspub
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Meh. If you guys can't shoot for shit, then come up with something that gives them a better chance to score. Like, oh I don't know, a pressuring, full-court defense that will generate turnovers and layups for guys not named Dylan.

That's nice when you actually have depth and don't lose your best guard to cancer. 

We were pressing much more early in the season when 1) we had Jones 2) Roach didn't break his wrist 3) Bamba's injuries and 4) Davis getting suspended. 

"But when you have injuries or don't have the personnel to run it effective, at least have enough coaching acumen to tweak the system or even install some different things to give your guys a chance to win." This is pretty much why Shaka stopped pressing a few games into the Big 12 and started implementing a bunch more zone. Shaka did exactly what you wanted. 

Edited by texasstrong12

We barely pressed at the beginning of the season when we had our team at full strength.

But we're getting away from the point of this thread. Either one of those two guards would be great additions as grad transfers, but if we don't get them (or a suitable alternative) I wouldn't mind going after a big. Hayes has a lot of potential, but he could benefit greatly from a redshirt.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We barely pressed at the beginning of the season when we had our team at full strength.

But we're getting away from the point of this thread. Either one of those two guards would be great additions as grad transfers, but if we don't get them (or a suitable alternative) I wouldn't mind going after a big. Hayes has a lot of potential, but he could benefit greatly from a redshirt.

I want us to press more, but we were pressing much more until around the point Roach broke his wrist and all the Jones stuff. 

Edited by texasstrong12

After the VCU game we were at 74.7 possessions per game. We finished around 70 possessions per game to end the season. The last 3 games (Big 12 tournament/NCAA) we were at 68 possessions per game. 

Shaka needs to press more and play faster with a full squad, but it's obvious why Shaka pretty much abandoned some tempo and the press mid-season. We didn't have the guards or depth to do it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's nice when you actually have depth and don't lose your best guard to cancer. 

We were pressing much more early in the season when 1) we had Jones 2) Roach didn't break his wrist 3) Bamba's injuries and 4) Davis getting suspended. 

"But when you have injuries or don't have the personnel to run it effective, at least have enough coaching acumen to tweak the system or even install some different things to give your guys a chance to win." This is pretty much why Shaka stopped pressing a few games into the Big 12 and started implementing a bunch more zone. Shaka did exactly what you wanted. 

This being the recruiting thread, what I am saying is Shaka's offense, such as it is, and his recruiting have failed to come together. We have a lot of athletic guys who actually look better suited to Havoc or at least an up tempo pace and then he brings in transfers like Cleare and Osetkowski who aren't. He has made it clear that he doesn't want to run Havoc, but he also doesn't have to run half court sets that require multiple .380+ 3pt shooters when he has no guys who can shoot at that clip.

I think Coleman is going to save his bacon and by the time he is an upperclassmen Shaka will be getting another extension. Does Shaka learn something either as an X and Os coach about generating offense no matter the personnel or does he learn something as an evaluator and get the right balance of skills to actually score in his offense? 

On 4/3/2018 at 12:24 AM, texasstrong12 said:

This is lunacy. Our shooting would be much improved without our indefensible shot selection and/or a competent offensive plan. Shaka literally game plans to have 28% shooters chunking up shots like the Rockets. It’s terroble coaching.

Shaka has had more talent than any other coach in the league in his time here yet the results have been shit, and despite this you will never ever ever admit that Shaka i in any way a subpar coach. You are completely delusional. 

Edited by Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This is lunacy. Our shooting would be much improved without our indefensible shot selection and/or a competent offensive plan. Shaka literally game plans to have 28% shooters chunking up shots like the Rockets. It’s terroble coaching.

Shaka has had more talent than any other coach in the league in his time here yet the results have been shit, and despite this you will never ever ever admit that Shaka i in any way a subpar coach. You are completely delusional. 

Are you taking the ban bet? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I haven’t looked up any stats, but our problem with shot selection of course has been with multiple players and for multiple reasons. All get back to the staff, whether as a result of recruiting, coaching or both.  

In regard to threes and deep twos, losing Jones and Davis of course didn’t help. DO not being restricted from taking too many threes was another  obvious issue. I’d rather have seen us drive and at least get the ball up around the rim for Mo, Sims or DO to try to rebound than to take a three we all knew wasn’t going in. Of course, our anemic FT shooting didn’t make getting into the lane a certainty to yield points, either.   

So much of our offensive ineptitude - again, due to coaching - really came down to bad passers trying to make bad entry passes to guys who were bad at positioning and timing their availability for the ball. When guys like DO or Young have to bomb because that was all they feel they can get, it’s going to be ugly more often than not. And it was. 

Edited by Gut Wagon