Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

That sounds right. There doesn't seem to be optimism on Texas' side right now.

You also aren’t gonna see optimism from sources at this point in the season as taking an additional player would mean an additional player currently on the roster moving on. Probably aren’t gonna know for sure on this til we get a few more games in and the rotation down. Signing 3 you are already having a current non senior move from the program after this season. Texas could be recruiting the hell out of the kid but sources aren’t gonna speak on it as the roster situation could cause issue with current season if it’s not handled right.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

You also aren’t gonna see optimism from sources at this point in the season as taking an additional player would mean an additional player currently on the roster moving on. Probably aren’t gonna know for sure on this til we get a few more games in and the rotation down. Signing 3 you are already having a current non senior move from the program after this season. Texas could be recruiting the hell out of the kid but sources aren’t gonna speak on it as the roster situation could cause issue with current season if it’s not handled right. 

Ehhhh

2 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Jones will be gone after this year.

Yeah, Andrew Jones is about to begin leukemia treatments again in a few weeks; there is a strong chance he cannot return at all this season.  No matter how impoverished his family is, if this is a completely lost season he won't be moving on because the G League won't be investing money and roster space on him.

43 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, Andrew Jones is about to begin leukemia treatments again in a few weeks; there is a strong chance he cannot return at all this season.  No matter how impoverished his family is, if this is a completely lost season he won't be moving on because the G League won't be investing money and roster space on him.

He needs to redshirt, get through his treatments and come back and have a great senior year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Pretty sure you never "get through" leukemia treatments.  Don't most people have to get treatments for life?

Kat, thats a great question. It may depend on the situation. Some very well may but thats why we are working to find a bone marrow match for Andrew. If you can find a match and do a bone marrow transplant, that may be enough. I have a cousin that was on his death bed and at the last minute, they found a match and for the past several years, he has not needed any treatments.

I know how badly Andrew wants to contribute and be a good team mate but he needs to look at the big picture and get well. Then he can come back hopefully stronger than ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to check out Will Baker and my guy KJ Adams tonight against Anderson if anybody wants to come out. Also, I did not realize that Coach Lucero was the HC at Westlake. That's big for our prospects with KJ. His mom played ball at A&M and he grew up liking the Aggies, but he's also liked the Horns for a long time, and was st SSS when Jarrett Allen was there. He's also been friends with Will Baker for a while. Coach Lucero was a big friend of the program under Barnes and so you've got to like our chances with KJ being that he has this many ties to UT. 

edit: actually I guess I do remember hearing about it when he got hired, Id just forgotten about it. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out here at AHS right now getting ready to watch Baker and Adams in their season finale against the Maroons. I'll report back after the game with what I saw. Hopefully it goes better than when I went to watch Jarrett Allen, lol. 

Also it turns out that my middle school HC (Coach Wilkes) has been an assistant at WHS for 13 years now. Was very cool running into him tonight, and one of those things that makes me (and I'm sure Coach Wilkes) feel old. My former coach is now coaching one of my former students. Where did the time go?

Edited by Goo Punch

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm out here at AHS right now getting ready to watch Baker and Adams in their season finale against the Maroons. I'll report back after the game with what I saw. Hopefully it goes better than when I went to watch Jarrett Allen, lol. 

Also it turns out that my middle school HC (Coach Wilkes) has been an assistant at WHS for 13 years now. Was very cool running into him tonight, and one of those things that makes me (and I'm sure Coach Wilkes) feel old. My former coach is now coaching one of my former students. Where did the time go?

Thanks for the posts. Look forward to reading your report. 

44-22 at the half. KJ and Baker are just too much for AHS to handle. I've got plenty of video highlights already from the first half, i'll put them tugether and post them when I get home. Both guys already have great touch from within the three point arc, something you'll see when i get to post these vids. Really hopeful we can get KJ on campus as well, because I think he has every chance to be an even more highly rated recruit than Baker already is. 

21 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Shaka will fuck that up ... Baker will be anchored somewhere on the arc bombin’ away. 

I actually thought Westlake ran an outstanding offense that their players seem to have mastered. They got their shooters a ton of open looks but/because the offense seemed predicated on getting Baker and KJ touches in the paint. They went to their strengths early and often and they never stopped. Baker only took one shot outside 15 feet all game, a wide open, in-rhythm three. That team could have easily dropped 90+ in 32 minutes tonight had they not taken their foot off the gas. Really impressed by them. 

Uploading the highlights to youtube now. it'll ben one janky highlight video, but it's the best i could do with what i've got to work with. 

fwiw my dad spent 30+ years covering/working in college basketball and i value his opinion. tonight was his first look at KJ and he told KJ's dad what he was most impressed with was that at this level you see a lot of athletes playing basketball, but that KJ is a basketball player who happens to be a great athlete- and I completely agree.

As I've always said about him, KJ is athletically gifted in a way that very few are, but he has the work erich and want-to to match it, and I couldn't be happier to know the kid and have a role in his life. Some things to keep in mind about KJ as you watch the video:

1)He's only a sophomore

2)Texas was his first offer and has hosted him multiple times

3)He's friends with Jarrett Allen, teammates with Will Baker (and formerly Brock Cunningham), and his coach at Westlake is a friend of the program from what I understand

I'll be a fan of whichever team he plays for, but I'll be ecstatic if we can get him to become a Longhorn. He's a great kid and an outstanding athlete as well. Any school will be lucky to have him. 

Forgot to post this earlier- Will Baker has nice footwork around the rim and a soft touch. He'll be a huge improvement over DO on offense, especially in the post. That said he will need to bulk up to adjust to the college game, and will be a work in progress defensively. To me he's a four year player, but you never know these days. Still, how welcome and refreshing would it be to have another Buckman/Boddicker type (with a much higher ceiling) who stays four years and helps lead Texas to a Final Four or a conference title or two.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

44-22 at the half. KJ and Baker are just too much for AHS to handle. I've got plenty of video highlights already from the first half, i'll put them tugether and post them when I get home. Both guys already have great touch from within the three point arc, something you'll see when i get to post these vids. Really hopeful we can get KJ on campus as well, because I think he has every chance to be an even more highly rated recruit than Baker already is. 

Loyal forever... Some things never change like AHS sucking at basketball and football 

35 minutes ago, pacman said:

Lucero coached Damion James at Nac and helped convince him to attend Texas.

What did your dad think of Baker?

He's the one who first said to me, "he needs to get bigger for Big XII basketball", but also really liked his all around offensive game. Baker seems to know who he is and he played to his own strengths. Didn't force anything. Pops also was the one who mentioned to me that he'll be a work in progress on defense, which is actually true of 95% of big men coming into college so I don't think it's that big of a deal. We both think that Baker's impact at Texas is all about how long he stays and how well he's coached. He's one of those guys you love to get- already has a strong base but also has a lot of room to grow. If he's here 3 or 4 years i think he has all conference potential. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, Goo Punch said:

highlights from the game:

fwiw KJ reminds me of Julius Randle.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

@texasstrong12 what are our chances with greg brown iii? i've only recently seen his video but he looks like a legit prospect to me. 

Westlake looked to have 3 or 4 guys who could play Div 1.

Austin High didn't look like they had anyone who could play Div 1, 2, or 3.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

@texasstrong12 what are our chances with greg brown iii? i've only recently seen his video but he looks like a legit prospect to me. 

Seems like a Texas and Kansas battle. 

We've had a lot of luck with Austin kids recently (Allen and Baker). The issue moving forward with the '20 recruits is Shaka's job security. Even if they plan to fire Shaka they need to give the perception that he's going to be here long-term.