cdain3

Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Have fun on Beale Street

good.  I'll take Shaka being gone.  

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean... why?

If Shaka could just get 13 five stars then we win the championship for sure for sure

11 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

If Shaka could just get 13 five stars then we win the championship for sure for sure

Not one of them would be able to make a 3 point shot or a free throw.

12 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

I'm down for another NIT championship, why not?

Saw Mike Miller (formerly of Miami Heat and now asst coach at Memphis Tigers) at Vandergrift HS last night checking out Greg Brown.  

Can we afford to fire Shaka? (money wise)  I know we have resources, but that's still a huge number he's owed... and possibly without an offset because of how stupid things were run back then.

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

Can we afford to fire Shaka? (money wise)  I know we have resources, but that's still a huge number he's owed... and possibly without an offset because of how stupid things were run back then.

I can't say I'm at all hooked in to the BMDs or AD funding, but there is an inflection point at which you have to decide what kind of athletic program you want to have, and basketball has reached it.

The new stadium is going to be kickass, and the expense would have been a good excuse if UT had scraped onto the tournament bubble, but the team is an embarrassment.

CDC's most recent comments weren't exactly a ringing "we're keeping him for next year, guys", either:

“We understand they want us to be successful,” Del Conte said. “There’s also those kids working hard. Shaka is working his tail off. We also have to do everything we can to support our coaches and our student-athletes. The noise around him is real, and I acknowledge that.”  

Edited by texifornia

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

I believe he is owed $11m at the end of season. Remainder of contract plus a buyout bonus. Compare that to what would happen if enthusiasm and fundraising for the bball program lag and the new arena doesn't receive the necessary donations. CDC needs to get that built because there are other plans for the Drum.

48 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I believe he is owed $11m at the end of season. Remainder of contract plus a buyout bonus. Compare that to what would happen if enthusiasm and fundraising for the bball program lag and the new arena doesn't receive the necessary donations. CDC needs to get that built because there are other plans for the Drum.

Ive never seen anything about a buyout bonus. I’m pretty sure it’s just the remainder of his fully guaranteed contract, approximately $10.3 million paid out over 3 years, plus anything owed to assistants who are let go. 

Also, there aren’t any needed donations for the stadium. UT isn’t paying for any of it, so a lag in stadium donation isn’t a factor. If anything, CDC not having to hit up boosters for the stadium should make it easier for him to fundraise for a new coach’s buyout and Shaka’s salary. 

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ive never seen anything about a buyout bonus. I’m pretty sure it’s just the remainder of his fully guaranteed contract, approximately $10.3 million paid out over 3 years, plus anything owed to assistants who are let go. 

Also, there aren’t any needed donations for the stadium. UT isn’t paying for any of it, so a lag in stadium donation isn’t a factor. If anything, CDC not having to hit up boosters for the stadium should make it easier for him to fundraise for a new coach’s buyout and Shaka’s salary. 

I knew as soon as I clicked the submit button that I should've qualified my post with my recollection is hazy and I have no firsthand knowledge so someone else is bound to know more than me. There was approximately an extra mil in addition to what's owed Shaka that I recall being discussed but maybe that's the asst coaches money as you mentioned. Also - are we talking about the same thing - where you wrote stadium do you mean arena?

Edited by Chopper

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I knew as soon as I clicked the submit button that I should've qualified my post with my recollection is hazy and I have no firsthand knowledge so someone else is bound to know more than me. There was approximately an extra mil in addition to what's owed Shaka that I recall being discussed but maybe that's the asst coaches money as you mentioned. Also - are we talking about the same thing - where you wrote stadium do you mean arena?

Yeah, I think the extra money was assumed assistant buyout. And even with the fired coaches’ salaries, they’re owed over time so we wouldn’t have to raise the full $11 million at once. It would either be paying him the his contract over the next three years or settling with him for a lump sum of less than $11 million. 

Yeah, the new arena is being fully funded by the entity UT has partnered with for leasing rights of the arena. https://news.utexas.edu/2018/12/20/world-class-ut-basketball-arena-will-host-longhorns-benefit-austin-community/

So....is the new arena opening up for the '21-'22 season?  Or next season?  Because I could see a scenario where he's held on to for one more "dead man walking" year in the mausoleum, just for the sake of not wasting money.

Edited by MirrOlure

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So....is the new arena opening up for the '21-'22 season?  Or next season?  Because I could see a scenario where he's held on to for one more "dead man walking" year in the mausoleum, just for the sake of not wasting money.

Given that the school isn't paying for it, that excuse won't fly this year.

I was just referring to eliminating one year of paying the new coach + Shaka.  Next year (assuming we'll be in the FEC) the team and the environment will suck again, so why not make Shaka suffer through it, then cut him loose, and be at "peak attractiveness" for a new coach.

Either way, I'll shut up now because presently, I really don't give a shit....UT basketball is all but dead to me.

39 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I was just referring to eliminating one year of paying the new coach + Shaka.  Next year (assuming we'll be in the FEC) the team and the environment will suck again, so why not make Shaka suffer through it, then cut him loose, and be at "peak attractiveness" for a new coach.

Oh, so like Clay Helton. That seems to be working fine. 

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The defense has been very solid - reuniting Beilein and Yaklich could work really well.

And Beilein's dumber comments while with the Cavs could knock him down to our hiring tier.