Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

Nick Harris on Austin Nunez

Spoiler

- On the hardwood, Garden Ridge (Texas) four-star point guard Austin Nunez is another prospect that has been trending towards Texas for the better part of the last 12 months. What kept Nunez from shutting it down was a budding relationship with Tony Bennett and Virginia, and that relationship culminated in an offer from the Cavaliers earlier this week. This is now officially a two-horse race with Texas and Virginia, but I still give the Longhorns the advantage at this time. It is definitely not as big of a lead that Texas once had, but there is still quite a bit of room for Shaka Smart and Co. to seal the deal for one of the top players in the state of Texas for the class of 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

IT recruiting notes

Spoiler

Texas hoops recruiting in the class of 2022 doesn't appear close to taking shape just yet. San Antonio Wagner point guard Austin Nunez (composite #56 player in the nation) continues to be a priority for the staff, and has the Longhorns in a lead group that includes Virginia and Arkansas. While people believe this decision ultimately comes down to Texas vs. Virginia, watch out for Arkansas should Eric Musselman not get scooped up by an NBA team in the off-season. Musselman is really connecting with Nunez, and his father. A timeline for a decision is likely late June or early July as the family wants to watch for coaching movement, and see if the dead period is lifted so they can go see the three favorites.

Garland 2022 power forward Zuby Ejiofor (composite #41 player in the nation) continues to be a prospect the Texas staff is in frequent contact with. The 6-foot-8, 215-pound powerful leaper told IT he hears from Texas two or three times per week, and the Longhorns were one of four schools mentioned at the top of a current list. TCU was the first school mentioned, as they are all-in contacting Ejiofor daily. Two programs that are in contact regularly that have yet to offer are Purdue and Ohio State. If either offer, they immediately join Texas and TCU as favorites. A timeline for a decision is most likely in late July.

We will get to the elephant in the room — Shaka Smart’s job security — when the time is right.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

On the hardwood, Inside Texas had the opportunity to speak with the father of 2022 power forward Colin Smith on Sunday.

The 6-foot-8, 200-pound stretch power forward with developing wing skills has programs such as Stanford, Texas Tech, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan and Texas recruiting him heavily. Only North Carolina is yet to offer from the lead group.

The communication with the Longhorns hasn't been as consistent as the family expected, likely due to coaching changes on the staff and the season, but Texas is still falling behind. That is important to note as Smith's mother attended Texas, and his older sister signed with Stanford over UT in volleyball (Leilah Smith) after the Longhorns couldn't provide as much scholarship money as Stanford. Smith hopes to have a top 6-8 by early summer, and hopefully make some visits prior to the early signing period in November.

IT spoke with a source close to Hightower 2022 point guard Bryce Griggs over the weekend.

The 6-foot-2 point guard with a game similar to D.J. Augustin has offers from the likes of Baylor, Kansas, Texas, Memphis, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Houston. While Baylor is thought by some to have the inside track, the source close to Griggs said the Longhorns are absolutely in the hunt for the future McDonald's All-American.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

On the hoops recruiting front, Texas is very much in the race for Coppell 2022 CG Anthony Black. The 6-foot-5.5, 180-pounder has offers from Baylor, Oklahoma State, Baylor, SMU and Texas Tech that are under consideration in addition to Texas. Shaka Smart is personally involved I the recruitment of Black, and a source close to the talented guard believes the Longhorns are the slight favorite currently. While Black has Power 5 offers in football as a wide receiver, IT expects Black to play basketball only at the next level.

Black is also very good friends with 2022 scoring guard Keyonte George. Texas is in the mix, but the 6-foot-4, 185-pounder could opt for the G-league.

A couple articles about signees from Gerry

Tamar Bates says the outlook on Texas is changing for the better

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns signed a 2021 recruiting class ranked in the top 20 in the country with more work to be done before the spring signing period.

When the four-man class signed, there were questions about the future of Texas basketball under Shaka Smart. Fast forward nearly four months, and the Longhorns are a three-seed in the NCAA Tournament and just posted a first AP top 10 finish since the 2010-11 season.

The Texas staff already has a much more positive message and vision to sell with the program a Sweet 16 away from being able to sell the ability to compete and win at the highest levels.

According to IMG Academy combo guard Tamar Bates, the perception is changing with top prospects in the 2021 and 2022 classes.

“The outlook has definitely changed,” said Bates Monday afternoon. “Before the season people were talking about Shaka’s job security. He always saw a big future. The guys I talk to, the way Texas is looked at has definitely changed with the season and winning the Big 12."

The 6-foot-4, 175-pound silky smooth lefty was excited for the Texas team to win the Big 12, and says this team got a head start to the goals Bates has in front of him.

“I was excited for the team," Bates said. "They won it in my hometown, and I knew a lot of people that went to the game. I look at it as this team got it started early winning the Big 12. That is one of my goals. Win the Big 12, win the Big 12 Tournament and win a national title.”

Bates says he has improved the most as a senior at being mentally engaged for every second of the game, and is seeing the game in front of him quicker. Playing some point guard when teammate and top 2022 PG prospect Jaden Bradley is out of the game has helped speed up that learning process. Bates told IT his role at Texas will be very similar to his senior campaign in Bradenton.

“Shaka tells me I would definitely play a combo guard role," Bates said. "Similar to Courtney (Ramey) or Andrew (Jones). Play two guard, and then slide over and run some point when whoever is our point is not in the game. IMG is playing me in that role this year.”

Bates mentioned that he has a Zoom call scheduled Tuesday with the entire coaching staff and recruiting class, and that is something that they have done before.

Bates is also working to help Texas in the recruitment of IMG Academy center Charles Bediako, who has Alabama, Texas, Ohio State and potentially Duke as the top four. The 6-foot-11 Bediako is ranked among the top 30 prospects in the 2021 class.

David Joplin excited about the future of Texas basketball

Spoiler

If there is one key aspect of successful college basketball offense Texas has lacked in recent years, it’s a four that has the ability to legitimately be a perimeter threat, help space the floor, and be a game changer in the pick and roll/pop game.

If David Joplin’s ability to shoot the ball from three carries over to the college game as many expect, the Texas program will have a player who fits a key role that hasn’t been seen in a few years.

Monday night, IT caught up with the forward that once told @Justin Wells in a previous interview, “...and I can shoot that m***** f*****.”

Inside Texas: First off, you have been listed anywhere from 6-foot-5.5 to 6-foot-7 for the past year. What is your most recent height and weight?

David Joplin: I measured 6-foot-7.5 before the season, and I weigh 220.

IT: What was your reaction to Texas winning the Big 12 Tournament?

Joplin: I was super excited. I think they are peaking for the tournament. I like how Jericho Sims played and how they competed. It was exciting to see and I can’t wait to be a part of it. I loved it.

IT: Texas just finished top 10 in the AP poll for the first time since the 2010-11 season, and won its first-ever Big 12 Tournament title. What would make the NCAA Tournament a success for the program?

Joplin: Getting as far as we can in. We want to win it all, of course. With our defense and being able to guard multiple positions with multiple players, I think we can get to the Final Four. We play tough defense.

IT: What is the perception of Texas basketball in your area and with the people you talk to?

Joplin: The perception of Texas basketball is that they are a tough team.

IT: How would you describe Shaka Smart?

Joplin: First thing is his energy. How excited he is for us all the time. He is one of the coaches you love to play for. He creates a family feel.

IT: What position and role has Shaka talked to you about playing in Austin?

Joplin: He talks about the three and four a lot. He tells me I have to get my footwork down to get into shots quicker, and being able to stretch the floor. Being able to guard multiple positions on defense because that is the strength of the team this year.

IT: You averaged 25 points and 11 rebounds this season, and scored 41 in a playoff loss to the eventual state champion. Your ability to score and shoot the ball is known and expected, but what other areas of the game did you improve on as a senior?

Joplin: Biggest thing was my leadership. My junior year, we had our senior leaders. This year, I was more vocal in practice and games. Also, my handle and getting to the basket.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Gerry Hamilton) Anthony Black: "Texas is prioritizing me"

Spoiler

Texas fans may know the name of Anthony Black from football recruiting. The near 6-foot-6 junior earned over a dozen offers as a wide receiver, but it’s his talent on the hardwood that Longhorn fans need to get familiarized with. The combo guard that has designs on playing the point also has more than a dozen basketball offers, including Texas.

On Wednesday, Inside Texas caught up with the top 100 hoops prospect to get the latest.

Inside Texas: What schools are recruiting you the hardest?

Anthony Black: “Probably would be Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. I talk to them the most. I’ve also been getting texts and calls from Illinois, Baylor and pretty much all the schools in Texas.”

IT: How often do you talk to Texas?

Black: “Almost every day. I feel like Texas is prioritizing me more than others. They are always in communication. I talk to Texas more than anybody. I talk to Coach (Neill) Berry a lot.”

IT: What is Texas’ message to you?

Black: “First, they are talking to me about playing point guard. They think I can go there and develop as a point, and as a player.”

IT: What is Oklahoma State’s message to you?

Black: “Oklahoma State says the same thing. They can see me playing point guard if I work hard and earn it.”

IT: What are your thoughts on Texas this season?

Black: “I feel like Texas plays hard and are well coached. The guard play separates them from others. They are making plays to win games more than the last couple of seasons.”

IT: If we turned on tape and watched you play, what would be your strengths? And where do you need to improve?

Black: “My strengths are getting downhill, and I’m physical. I feel like I rebound well. Playing in transition is a strength. I can improve on getting my spots more consistently. And not passing up so many shots to get to the paint.”

IT: What is your timetable for a decision? And who will be part of that decision making process?

Black: “I’m thinking I’ll make a decision by the end of the AAU season. Maybe in July. It will probably be my mom, dad, my AAU coach and trainer. It will come down to having a shot to play point guard and where I will be developed.”

Black’s mom played soccer at Texas before transferring to Baylor where she played. His father played basketball at Baylor.

The school that Black has been to the most is Texas Tech, where his step brother Micah Peavy plays. Peavy is the son of Duncanville head coach David Peavy.

Black’s offers in basketball include Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU, Auburn, North Texas, Rice, Saint Louis and Old Dominion.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Gerry Hamilton) Texas in top three for Keyonte George

Spoiler

When taking inventory of the possibilities in the 2022 class for Texas, shooting guard Keyonte George is among the first couple of targets on the list.

The consensus top 15 prospect in the country and one of the nation's top scoring prospects regardless of classification is not only considering the Longhorns, but has Texas at the top of his list.

Wednesday night, Inside Texas caught up with the 6-foot-4 silky smooth scorer to get the latest on his recruitment.

Inside Texas: What schools are recruiting you the hardest?

Keyonte George: “I’ll probably say Texas, Tech and Kentucky. I talk to those the most.”

IT: Do you have a favorite or top group of schools right now?

George: “I don’t have a top five or anything, but those would be at the top of a list.”

IT: What coaches are you in contact with the most from the trio of schools?

George: “I talk to Coach (K.T.) Turner a lot from Texas. We don’t talk basketball much, just the small stuff. We talk about life more. I was able to talk to Coach Smart this week. I told him how much I like what they are doing this year. Coach Smart told me to keep my head straight off the court, and stay on the path. I talk to Coach Jai (Lucas) a lot too. He’s my guy.”

IT: What are your thoughts on Texas’ season?

George: They’ve been winning games they haven’t the last couple of years, and I like that. They have a winning culture. Every player wants to be part of a winning culture. Texas lets the guards play a lot. That’s a place I want to be at. All the coaches are engaged as well.”

IT: Have you been on campus at Texas or Texas Tech?

George: “I went to Tech last season when they played Kentucky. Lubbock is a college town. When I went for a visit, you could see the students love their teams. Coach (Chris) Beard is always locked in. I have been to Texas a couple of times. I went to the Oklahoma State football game last season, and got to tour the basketball facilities. I have been down there for a team camp too.”

IT: What are your thoughts on Kentucky?

George: “Past years they have been in the tournament and won. Coach Cal has a great reputation for getting players ready. Coach Jai sends me practice video so I can see how hard they go at it every day.”

IT: There has been talk that you could be looking at the G-League as opposed to college. Where are you at right now with college vs. professional?

George: "My main focus is college. My mom says education comes first. College is my main focus."

IT: Was is your timeline for committing to a college?

George: “I prefer to make a decision soon. Before my senior season.”

IT: Growing up, what schools did you watch on TV?

George: “A lot of the Texas teams. Texas, Kentucky, Duke and the blue bloods.”

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

C Felix Okpara, Hamilton Heights Academy (Chattanooga, TN):

The 6-foot-11, 223-pound fast rising big man has Texas in a lead group that includes Tennessee, Florida and Ohio State. Vanderbilt and Ole Miss were also mentioned. Okpara, who moved to the states from Nigeria in 9th grade, has been on campus at Tennessee and Florida, where former Hamilton Heights Academy players currently play. The Longhorns have a very good shot here because Okpara has studied where the big men have gone, had success and were drafted high. Okpara has studied Jaxson Hayes, Mo Bamba and Jarrett Allen extensively. He also happens to be a BIG Kevin Durant fan per a source very close to the junior big man. Per the source, Texas talks to Okpara on a near daily basis. A Shaka Smart vs. Rick Barnes battle could be brewing for a prospect that will end up ranked in the top 10 overall in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Can anyone even imagine trying to talk to recruits after laying that turd on national TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want Shaka out (not that CDC will do it, the man is Charmin soft), but we're hardly alone in getting bounced by a mid-major and we did win a conference title.

The news cycle's already moved on for everyone that isn't a UT fan.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I want Shaka out (not that CDC will do it, the man is Charmin soft), but we're hardly alone in getting bounced by a mid-major and we did win a conference title.

The news cycle's already moved on for everyone that isn't a UT fan.

Hated that Texas was the last game played so that they commanded attention overnight up until Illinois relieved us of underperforming upset attention.  

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

It was a uniquely brainless, gutless upset... that happened after a lot of country was already asleep.

The loss is irrelevant, really. Shaka Smart is a born loser with a penchant for sales. That loss meant nothing to him and he’s therefore going to act with impunity afterwards. It’s all normal. Crystal Conte is dickless so that isn’t an issue for Smart. Yeah, just business as usual. I’m at the point where I’m expecting the standard annual propaganda to come out that recruits X, Y, and Z will stop considering Texas is Smart gets fired. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The loss is irrelevant, really. Shaka Smart is a born loser with a penchant for sales. That loss meant nothing to him and he’s therefore going to act with impunity afterwards. It’s all normal. Crystal Conte is dickless so that isn’t an issue for Smart. Yeah, just business as usual. I’m at the point where I’m expecting the standard annual propaganda to come out that recruits X, Y, and Z will stop considering Texas is Smart gets fired. 

ABC is a good team. Sure, not a single player could start at UT, but they are a good team.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Which isn't close to as big a deal as last year. We have a very good class, but Daimion Collins would have been the one that could actually throw his weight around in these matters so long term might be better we didn't get him.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don't know why Daimion Collins turned down the opportunity to stand in the corner all season and then play six minutes in an NIT game next year.  Sure, his draft stock might tank, but he would make a friend for life along the way in Shaka.

Nah, the Shaka experience is never winning an NCAA tournament game with a revolving door of first round big men.

Great for those guys, sucks for us as fans.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Nah, the Shaka experience is never winning an NCAA tournament game with a revolving door of first round big men.

Great for those guys, sucks for us as fans.

Bizarrely, Shaka has a bit of the Calipari rep it feels like where Cal will misuse players, almost all fall short of expectations, then they have the opportunity to turn it around in the NBA with a clean slate. Cal has been transparent about his #1 priority being getting kids into the league, the cycle continues, which is why despite an absolute embarrassment of a season there's little scrutiny on him. I'd say Shaka in general even does a better job of boosting kids stock over the course of the year compared to Cal as they get draft looks.  

22 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Bizarrely, Shaka has a bit of the Calipari rep it feels like where Cal will misuse players, almost all fall short of expectations, then they have the opportunity to turn it around in the NBA with a clean slate. Cal has been transparent about his #1 priority being getting kids into the league, the cycle continues, which is why despite an absolute embarrassment of a season there's little scrutiny on him. I'd say Shaka in general even does a better job of boosting kids stock over the course of the year compared to Cal as they get draft looks.  

So your theory is that Kentucky doesn't scrutinize Calipari?

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

So your theory is that Kentucky doesn't scrutinize Calipari?

They absolutely do, but the success that he's had obviously overwhelms one shitty season and Shaka doesn't have any of that goodwill which is why we are where we are. They can look past winning being the end all be all for him when he normally has the talent to overwhelm teams into the 2nd weekend and beyond. I think Cal also learned a hard lesson this year on the ratio needed of upperclassmen to one and dones where he didn't have the senior leadership and steadiness this year to right the ship when the freshmen struggled. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This. Plus, elite recruiting success means jack shit if Smart is coaching. No point in landing highly rated guys if they amount to little or nothing once here. Finish cleaning house Conte, for the love of God.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Can I take a stab?

Like...going from the New York Cat Lady to Margot Robbie?

Like comparing a Rebecca Black/Luke Bryan concert to a Stevie Ray/Led Zepplin concert. 

Like "What the fuck is this shit?" to "This fucking rocks."

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He somehow found a soft landing for the guy. Nice work all around.

I will be curious to see how he does. Chicago and Milwaukee have lots of talent. If he could learn to hire quality on the court coaches, he could be successful. Mack was an average coach but he hired pretty well. Shaka has a lot of the same qualities as Mack.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

That has never been an issue for Shaka.  We have had several stud assistants come to Texas throughout Shaka's tenure.

That is true, but apparently Shaka doesn't delegate to them. For some reason, he thinks he is smarter than they are. He needs to be more like Mack and spend his time playing gold and schmoozing with alumni.