Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

33 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

duke and kentucky habitually sign multiple stud players who play the same position.

Duke, Kentucky, Texas,... 

If we don't always see those Big 3 hoops schools mentioned with every top recruit, I don't know....

...oh, wait a minute.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Duke, Kentucky, Texas,... 

If we don't always see those Big 3 hoops schools mentioned with every top recruit, I don't know....

...oh, wait a minute.

i'm not saying that Texas is on their level, just that those two have a history of signing elite prospects who could fight for the same position and/or playing time.

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm not saying that Texas is on their level, just that those two have a history of signing elite prospects who could fight for the same position and/or playing time.

Hence, the phrase "similar molds". I know reading comprehension is tough for you. 

Players like Hepa and Hayes will likely both get minutes at the 5 but it doesn't mean they are even remotely similar players. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hence, the phrase "similar molds". I know reading comprehension is tough for you. 

Players like Hepa and Hayes will likely both get minutes at the 5 but it doesn't mean they are even remotely similar players. 

well i wasn't talking about those two players at all, so great job with the reading comprehension jab.

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

well i wasn't talking about those two players at all, so great job with the reading comprehension jab.

It was an example. Recruits at the same position sign all the time in the same class. The point is that similar molds at the same position rarely sign together (at least the highly ranked ones). 

Selling a skilled big like Hepa vs an athletic big like Hayes is like selling two different WRs at outside/slot. They do completely different things. 

Like anything there are examples that go against the rule sometimes (Duke/Kentucky/other schools). Your initial point about "signing multiple stud players who play the same position." wasn't my argument at all or what McComas was referring too in the tweet above.

Edited by texasstrong12

58 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Haha that made me laugh. I thought I had said something negative and was confused.

Nah. It wasn't meant to be negative. I should have wrote "and" instead of "but".

I was just trying to say that Williams rise was expected so it's nice to see he finally got the bump he deserved. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• 2 weeks later...

just spoke to some teammates of KJ Adams and Will Baker. Take this for what it's worth, as it's simply the musings of some guys who are close to the situation, but who don't necessarily know what's going to happen in the end. 

fwiw these guys said they think that kj wants to go to texas, which again is encouraging to me since his mom hooped at a&m. however, they said they think that will baker will end up at unc for two reasons: first, they said that he and brock cunningham don't exactly get along, and second, they said that unc has been recruiting him longer, and that roy williams showing up to a game in westlake really left an impression on him. so take that for what it's worth!

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Watched a small clip on youtube and he has great form on his shot, hit a few pull up jumpers from deep too which is nice to see.

I'd love for Texas to have a team full of three point shooters for once, stretching the floor opens up the block WAY more than anything else.

...with Eric Musselman as the coach please.

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

just spoke to some teammates of KJ Adams and Will Baker. Take this for what it's worth, as it's simply the musings of some guys who are close to the situation, but who don't necessarily know what's going to happen in the end. 

Reveal hidden contents

fwiw these guys said they think that kj wants to go to texas, which again is encouraging to me since his mom hooped at a&m. however, they said they think that will baker will end up at unc for two reasons: first, they said that he and brock cunningham don't exactly get along, and second, they said that unc has been recruiting him longer, and that roy williams showing up to a game in westlake really left an impression on him. so take that for what it's worth!

Fucking up without squandering a 5-star center would be a pleasant change of pace, to be honest

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Reveal hidden contents

How does all that jibe with Will's list of schools?

https://twitter.com/thrillbaker/status/1034908591503953922?s=19

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

55 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Patrick Ewing was one of the best centers in the NBA for a number of years. That could mean something to a young man who hopes for the same.

Patrick Ewing retired in 2002 and Will Baker is probably 17 years old so Will Baker might not remember seeing Patrick Ewing play in the pros. He was born over a decade after Patrick Ewing played for Georgetown.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Patrick Ewing retired in 2002 and Will Baker is probably 17 years old so Will Baker might not remember seeing Patrick Ewing play in the pros. He was born over a decade after Patrick Ewing played for Georgetown.

Bevo,  Ewing is the head coach at GU and thats why that could be a factor.

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Bevo,  Ewing is the head coach at GU and thats why that could be a factor.

I apologize. From the way it was written, it sounded like you were talking about recruits watching him as a player. For us, it may seem more recent than it actually was.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, texasstrong12 said:

The most interesting thing so far is Texas hasn't made any new offers at PF/C. Iwuakor would be a good back up option but it seems like this staff feels like they are going to land somebody out of this group. 

I've seen Shaka/Texas mentioned a lot with Jaden McDaniels. I'm not saying we are going to land him but I think we have a much better shot in this recruitment than people think. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-McDaniels-46046881

You were on to something. Just got two CBs for McDaniels, including one from Jerry Meyer.