Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Will be interesting to see if one of the blue bloods swoop in at the last minute.

I don't think they are the threat. It's if his brother at SDSU persuades him to go there. 

I've felt for some time we were 2nd in this recruitment behind SDSU. If there wasn't a brother in play here I would actually be confident that we were going to land him. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Will be interesting to see if one of the blue bloods swoop in at the last minute.

I can't imagine they have not all already tried time and time again. Bball recruiting is a blood bath, not many stones are left unturned, specially for a dude with those credentials. 

It will be interesting how recruiting shakes out. If Baker and McDaniels commit I'm not sure Jones will have a spot. 

Jones is the biggest project out of the 3 but he has huge upside. I would love all three but I don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong. A Baker, McDaniels, and Jones class would be by far the best frontcourt recruiting class in the country.

Edited by texasstrong12

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/9/25/17899460/basketball-recruiting-update-5-star-madness-uw-washington-huskies-isaiah-stewart-jaden-mcdaniels

At this point the race is really too close to call. I’d put UCLA in 5th place right now just because they’re the most recent to get involved but you can’t count them out. Every other school has something significant going for it.

San Diego State: His brother Jalen plays there and so his family has a close relationship and trust with the coaching staff.

Kentucky: Jaden stated it was his dream school growing up but has backtracked a little since making that statement to say that doesn’t mean he’d go there the second offered. But even without that they can legitimately say they churn out NBA draft picks like no one else.

Texas: They offered before his break out and he seems to really like Shaka. Texas has the two most recent crystal balls suggesting at least someone thinks they have the momentum.

Washington: The only school that can be considered close to home and family. He has two AAU teammates who are already a part of the recruiting class.

11 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

If y'all want a good laugh and lots of butthurt from "prestigious and wholesome" Michigan about not making McDaniels' top 5, then here you go.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/michigan-doesn't-make-top-5-2019-5-sf-jaden-mcdaniels

God UMich fans are the wooooorst. Sanctimonious as hell.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Having attended both Texas and Michigan, I can assure you that they're essentially the same fan base. They're basically North and South versions of the same school.

Living in New York, I mostly see one aspect of their fanbase (the many, many, many Jewish kids from Westchester/LI's North Shore who work in finance/consulting) - I bet the Midwestern contingent has much less of a chip on their shoulder.

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Living in New York, I mostly see one aspect of their fanbase (the many, many, many Jewish kids from Westchester/LI's North Shore who work in finance/consulting) - I bet the Midwestern contingent has much less of a chip on their shoulder.

I can certainly see how that would color your perception.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

You're confusing chip on their shoulder with being a lot smarter than you are. 

10 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

No. You singled out Jews. I want to know why.

*sigh* I worded it clumsily but I figured changing it was cowardly. It's a huge sector of their alumni base out here (a legacy of the old Ivy quotas) - in fact the only set of Michigan grads I've ever met outside the Midwest - and an inescapable group of people if you interact with those industries in any capacity. The annoyance factor had nothing to do with them being Jewish and I wish I hadn't put the word in there. If you'd like to talk about it further, feel free to slip into my DMs.

• Like 2