Guadalupe/Comal/?? Tubing

luke duke

Went to Canyon Lake 2 weeks ago.  All of the tube places were shutdown there.  The river is open, but you have to bring your own tubes at least on that part of the Guadalupe.  You can still float the horseshoe though since you don't need a shuttle for it.  We did not go tubing because we went to the lake instead.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, luke duke said:

Has anyone been tubing in the New Braunfels area since the COVID restrictions went into effect? Any tips? Which outfitters have adapted best (or worst)?

The outfitters are not running shuttles right now due to COVID.  At least some will let you pay to park if you want to set up your own shuttle with another vehicle.   

All river access points in the New Braunfels city limits are closed, which pretty much rules out the Comal.  

Not sure how much rain the Guad got on Saturday, but it had been running low.

The best option now is to grab a tube/paddle board/kayak/anything that floats and hang out on Town Lake. If you want to catch Covid, the sand bar in the lake in front of Barton Creek mouth is where half of the city hangs out on weekends. 

Put in at the culvert launch next to Austin High. If going on the weekend, go early because street parking fills up fast. 

12 minutes ago, bluto said:

What about the condos/private lawns along the comal? You could get in the river from those right? Ie the river itself isn’t shut down to floating/playing just the commercial/public access points?

Yes, that's correct.  Also, I have no idea how hard they are enforcing the rule...it might be that people are parking on the streets or somewhere a couple blocks away and jumping in at the usual spots.  I know they put fencing up along the parking lots of at least some of the San Marcos parks, but not sure about the New Braunfels parks...some of those areas are too big to fence, I would think.    

we stayed at the gruene river guest house at the beginning of july; the restrictions had just gone into effect. fortunately the place we stayed at had enough private tubes we could just use them. we dropped in at their sister site and just got out when we came down to our spot. not too crowded but seems like you need your own stuff to use. one of the outfitters (I forget the name, just across the little bridge in guene) was allowing cars to park and launch there which is what a handful of groups were doing.  

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, tx ind said:

Couldn't find another thread and it's been a few years for me. What is the current beverage situation on the Comal and Guadalupe?  Can you still bring beers or is it non-disposable containers only?  

Non-disposable. Basically everyone has big yeti’s and refills in their coolers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I tried toobin a couple years ago and discovered I'm too old for that shit.

Ill never be too old to look at Texas women in bikinis.   Esp now that the trend regardless of age seems to be to wear your suit completely up your ass.  20-50 is all good.  A lot of these MILFs looking damn good.  You're always one rapid away from a titty popping out.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, bluto said:

I’d have to imagine guad is a trickle made up of 90% human piss as opposed to usual 50% with the drought. Comal is spring fed so baseline is pretty solid in my experience 

Comal is great in the morning but it's nasty toilet by late afternoon in the summer.  Buddy has a house near the public exit and I brought my dog with me on a guys weekend so he could swim and be a chick magnet (aww, can I pet your dog?)  After 2 days in the Comal, we had to make him (dog) sleep outside at night since he stunk so bad from being in the water and it took two trips to the groomer to get rid of the smell...

• 1 month later...

Bringing my 14 year old daughter to her first Texas game this weekend and was considering taking her to float the river. It’s been years and I have no idea which spot is the most teenager friendly. Any suggestions? After reading some of this - considering the Schitterbahn maybe instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We went early in the summer to the San Marcos at Lions Club which is great.  Not sure how the flow is right now thanks to the drought.  Was hanging and enjoying a beer or two with friends on the Guadalupe about a month ago and water was not great.  I do know the Guadalupe north of Bulverde was bone dry last weekend. N