New roof and gutters color.

I just got some pretty significant hail damage, so free roof and gutters.  Roofer is asking me what color for the asphalt shingles and gutters.  

I couldn't give 2 shits, as long as it's not dayglo yellow or something crazy, so I'm inclined to stick with the current color of brownish shingles and brown gutters  since it seemed to work before. My only consideration is I'm selling the place in 3 years so is there some trendy roof color, or a color that will turn off potential buyers?

I have never even noticed the color of a roof before when buying a home so I'm probably overthinking this but with all these home improvement reality shows who knows what buyers are considering these days.

Assuming you are in one of the hail prone areas in TX, your new roof is not free.  You’ve been purchasing it on the installment plan via your insurance company.  😉 If you are in an area that typically doesn’t get a lot of hail, and don’t have the resulting insurance premiums, then good for you, free roof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I have never even noticed the color of a roof before when buying a home so I'm probably overthinking this but with all these home improvement reality shows who knows what buyers are considering these days.

You never notice the color of a roof unless its bad.  Had a neighbor replace the roof with green shingles and it looked terrible - they ended up replacing the roof again a year or so later with a regular color.

I'd replace it with the same or similar color.

• Hook 'Em 1

All I can helpfully add is that gutters should match trim/eaves, imo. Think copper colored gutters were popular for a hot minute, but look bad if you aren't putting real copper on a mansion.

Don't cheap out on the "dimensional" component. The "flat" looking shingles used by the broke-ass bitches in my hood really look bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

“Free roof and gutters,” you say?

Where do I sign up for this?

The most popular and easily adaptable shingle color is Weathered Wood.   Every shingle manufacturer has their version of this color.  After that it’s charcoal / black and then probably a slate / blue-silver color.  

regarding gutter and d/s colors, variations of bronze / patina’d copper / dark-browns are nice.  White is ok but shows grime and dirt.  Black is a ok on some houses, usually white painted brick with a black / charcoal roof.  

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You never notice the color of a roof unless its bad.  Had a neighbor replace the roof with green shingles and it looked terrible - they ended up replacing the roof again a year or so later with a regular color.

I'd replace it with the same or similar color.

Funny you mention that.  My ex wife's place has green shingles and I always notice them while waiting in the driveway to pick up the kids.  Wasn't sure if it was some negative association with the homeowner that made me dislike it, or it was just ugly.  Why not both gif.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. And yes, I'm aware the roof isn't "free", but it's much shorter than saying the marginal cost of this specific home improvement to my pocketbook, after considering the payment of the deductible, is well below market cost.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

“Free roof and gutters,” you say?

Where do I sign up for this?

The most popular and easily adaptable shingle color is Weathered Wood.   Every shingle manufacturer has their version of this color.  After that it’s charcoal / black and then probably a slate / blue-silver color.  

regarding gutter and d/s colors, variations of bronze / patina’d copper / dark-browns are nice.  White is ok but shows grime and dirt.  Black is a ok on some houses, usually white painted brick with a black / charcoal roof.  

Oh ... I've got weathered wood....  on my roof too.

7 hours ago, woohorn said:

Something, something, ... it is illegal insurance fraud to accept a waiver of deductible by a roofing company to repair an insured loss..

I paid my deductible to my roofer and then they paid a fee to me to put their business sign in my yard for roughly the same amount. 

• Like 1

Weathered wood seems to be the most popular by far around me. Personally I'm not a fan. I don't think it would cause me to not buy a house, but I prefer other colors. I'm one of those people who notice things like that though. I used a medium gray for our current house and am very happy with it. If money was no object I'd use slate, but yeah.

I'm doing white gutters to match my siding and trim. If my brick was white I'd do a contrasting charcoal gray.

As for green shingles, I actually like them with the right color of brick and style of house. The buildings on the Stillwater campus have them and I think it looks good with that particular architecture. One house in our neighborhood has them and it works. Would probably look shitty on most houses though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1.  OP, if you're located anywhere in Texas, WtH, man?  We did a smashing project for @fuggled & if we can ever get the new gutters painted, the gutter guy will come back & get after hanging them (took awhile for the insurance co. to realize they underpaid on the paint work).  I'm in the aTx area, Fuggy is up N. in the MetroPlex.  I drove up 2x for his work - nice upgrades for him as well.

...Anyway...

2.  Weathered Wood (or "Driftwood if an Owens Corning shingle) is the most common because it is essentially neutral to most other paint colors.  No harm, no foul.  That said, it is a darker color & darker roofing = "heat island affect".

3.  I'd be more concerned about the brand shingle being used than anything else.  Stay away from Malarkey & IKO.  IMO, CertainTeed is "meh".  Atlas used to be a crap product but around 5 years ago they decided to up the game.  Now Atlas, G.A.F. & Owens Corning all have a solid nail line... very thick & rubbery... holds well.  Atlas ("Pinnacle Pristine") & G.A.F.  ("HDZ") have very long guarantees against algae & stains.  Atlas bought into the "ScotchGuard" thing from 3M.  For Owens Corning (O.C.), they have their "TruDefinition Duration" that, again has the rubber nail line.
We just put on a new roof for @Felix last week & he went with the Atlas Pinnacle Pewter... plus did some new metal work on his chimney.  (see pic).  In around 2 weeks, we're doing a Georgetown project & this customer is going with Owens Corning TruDef Duration Sierra Gray.

image.thumb.png.60e8adc64d51325492a7c74dcb3a69e3.png

5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I paid my deductible to my roofer and then they paid a fee to me to put their business sign in my yard for roughly the same amount. 

OK, so on to Immortal's response:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/html/HB02102F.htm

If you have a recoverable depreciation to collect, this "free roof" business in Texas won't work as of 01 Sept. 2019:

{the following text is required to be posted in size 12 font, bolded, for all contracts where an insurance claim is paid}
FOR ALL APPROVED INSURANCE CLAIMS, “Texas law requires a person insured under a property insurance policy to pay any deductible applicable to a claim made under the policy. It is a violation of Texas law for a seller of goods or services who reasonably expects to be paid wholly or partly from the proceeds of a property insurance claim to knowingly allow the insured person to fail to pay, or assist the insured person ’s failure to pay, the applicable insurance deductible.”

Oh, & FYI... Amica is no longer writing policies where there is any RCV (depreciation) that is collectible.  IMO, Germania is good, USAA is turning to shit, Snake Farm & AllSnake continue to be shit & Chubb is where it's at for you Shag-Elite 2%'ers.

• Like 1

Good advice ROFL, thanks.  I'll make sure to get quality brand so the next guy doesn't have to deal with this shit for a while.

If it makes you feel better, I'm not in Texas- I'm so far north this heat island effect you speak of is of no concern to me.

Here's the damn house. It's kind of a cream with brown edging and gutters. Feel free to photoshop dicks on it but I draw the line at any virtual sooner logo graffiti.  We live in a society, damn it.

Screenshot_20200826-205316.png