Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I mean, I assume they're boycotting as well. Otherwise it would look kind of ridiculous.

The ESPN alert I saw did not mention the Magic, only the Bucks.  The Raptors/Heat Celtics rumblings from earlier mentioned both teams.

Edited by Dr Fear

I wonder what the rest of the league does. The Bucks have been particularly put on the spot for this because it's just down the road from them to Kenosha and they also had that deal with Sterling Brown getting tazed and another player got locked out of a jewelry store. They have been put on the forefront of this.

And LOL the Magic... so close but yet so far from going home. You know the Blazers are going to want to play as well tonight so they can get the hell out of there too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wonder what the rest of the league does. The Bucks have been particularly put on the spot for this because it's just down the road from them to Kenosha and they also had that deal with Sterling Brown getting tazed and another player got locked out of a jewelry store. They have been put on the forefront of this.

And LOL the Magic... so close but yet so far from going home. You know the Blazers are going to want to play as well tonight so they can get the hell out of there too.

I can't see the Lakers giving Portland a free W. 

Will be interesting to see what the NBA does, it absolutely should mean a forfeit but I guess we will have to see what they actually decide.

This pretty fucking wild. I assume the Magic aren’t accepting the forfeit as a show of solidarity but I kind of feel like they should. It’s the best way to give weight to the decision the Bucks players made. 

Edited by UncleSonny
Yeah, what Chickensandwich said
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gets people talking. No other league has ever had players boycott playoff games. This isn't like a work stoppage. This is the talent making a statement and getting people to notice. The NBPA is one of the best run, strongest unions going and the NBA knows this. The NBA will do nothing to the boycotting teams because they know these guys could just leave at any point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

i'm guessing the Lakers will boycott as well. 

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Bucks should take it out of the NBA’s hands who by all accounts have done everything asked of them. Ask for the loss. Ask other teams to play so their forfeit (of a team from WI ) will stand alone. More powerful statement. 

Absolutely agree with this. Let MIL do it today, everyone else play. Then if they still want to do something everyone can boycott on a different day, WI needs this today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

just a few months ago Rudy Gobert bright the NBA to a halt by testing positive for/spreading covid-19. it was a massive deal; unprecedented. imagine if we could only have known that basketball would return by August, only to have it brought to a halt again because of another black man being murdered by police? wtf is happening right now man. these are truly unprecedented times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a difference.  I can't imagine this would've gone over nearly as well in a normal season.  Imagine if the fans showed and the players just didn't come out.  In the bubble, you just push the games to tomorrow or the next day.  In a normal season, its a logistical nightmare with a lot of furious paying customers.

Plus, MJ wasn't missing his first finals.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But everyone else isn't going to play today.

Right, they are united in general.   Now they are actually PHYSICALLY united being in the bubble and have not a lot else to do but sit around and discuss what they want to do.    No way any games are going to be played today.   The question is now if they will say "fuck all this shit " and all leave the bubble.

already speculation among NBA people on ESPN that the entire rest of the season may be boycotted, saying that players were already feeling angst and trepidation about being in the bubble entertaining people when they really don't want to be there- said they feel like pawns in all of this. even just last night Jaylen Brown said he didn't want to be there anymore, that he wanted to be out protesting. at this point, the entire season may really be in the balance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

already speculation among NBA people on ESPN that the entire rest of the season may be boycotted, saying that players were already feeling angst and trepidation about being in the bubble entertaining people when they really don't want to be there- said they feel like pawns in all of this. even just last night Jaylen Brown said he didn't want to be there anymore, that he wanted to be out protesting. at this point, the entire season may really be in the balance. 

Yeah, I think the bubble just burst.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Gets people talking. No other league has ever had players boycott playoff games. This isn't like a work stoppage. This is the talent making a statement and getting people to notice. The NBPA is one of the best run, strongest unions going and the NBA knows this. The NBA will do nothing to the boycotting teams because they know these guys could just leave at any point.

So at what point does it start hitting players in the pocket book?  Because willingly accepting THAT is when the players are really making a statement.  Will they cancel the playoffs and forfeit future game checks?

Because boycotting games also has real world financial consequences for a business (which obviously the NBA is).  The league has a tv contract that is paying the players, paying for the massive costs of room/board/COVID testing in the bubble, and of course paying NBA salaries.   I honestly did not dive into the deal the players and the league struck for the bubble but now pretty curious.   And it's pretty easy for players like Lebron/Giannis etc. to take a stand when they have massive endorsement deals that won't be impacted.  But I wonder if the fringe players that know damn well they may not have many paychecks left are on board.  I'll be really interested to see how this plays out. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I'm guessing only those with a shot at a ring wanted to be there