Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

Part of what got them to the bubble (in theory) is that it would provide a bigger platform. I'm not sure leaving helps that. Boycotting a game or two, maybe. But if they leave, I think they lose some of that impact. 

Doc Rivers gave a really impassioned speech last night after the game, and maybe something like that doesn't get the attention it deserves without the backdrop of the playoffs and the bubble. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this shakes out, that's for damn sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Boycott...until what happens exactly? I like the sentiment, but if they do play again, it will be under pretty much identical circumstances.

Well the Bucks were reportedly trying to contact the AG of Wisconsin while they were in the locker room.    More importantly, we are still pretty early in this.   The players are all there in the bubble and will have nothing but time to come up with a list of demands if there are things that could get them back on the court in the short term.

Wow, turns out the NBA is as worthless as most of us have been saying for decades.  Seems like these guys give more of a shit about justice and equality no matter what pointless round of playoff it is.  Kudos to them.  

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Doc Rivers gave a really impassioned speech last night after the game, and maybe something like that doesn't get the attention it deserves without the backdrop of the playoffs and the bubble. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this shakes out, that's for damn sure.

Zero chance that speech was all over my twitter timeline absent the NBA playoffs.  This point is exactly why I think the most likely outcome is a short delay (maybe tomorrow as well) with cooler heads prevailing realizing they don't have near the platform absent playoff games.  

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So at what point does it start hitting players in the pocket book?  Because willingly accepting THAT is when the players are really making a statement.  Will they cancel the playoffs and forfeit future game checks?

Because boycotting games also has real world financial consequences for a business (which obviously the NBA is).  The league has a tv contract that is paying the players, paying for the massive costs of room/board/COVID testing in the bubble, and of course paying NBA salaries.   I honestly did not dive into the deal the players and the league struck for the bubble but now pretty curious.   And it's pretty easy for players like Lebron/Giannis etc. to take a stand when they have massive endorsement deals that won't be impacted.  But I wonder if the fringe players that know damn well they may not have many paychecks left are on board.  I'll be really interested to see how this plays out. 

NBA players get bonuses for every round of the playoffs they make it to. Would the Magic? Prob not. Would the Lakers/Bucks? Def so.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder what I’ll see if I turn tnt on later. Hours of the 4 studio guys talking amongst themselves and court side reporters/commentators about the boycott, the shooting, the general feeling of  treatment?  Or do they preempt for a movie or something?

4th Q of the Mavs-Clippers Luka buzzer beater game on repeat 

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Boycott...until what happens exactly? I like the sentiment, but if they do play again, it will be under pretty much identical circumstances.

Kendrick Perkins calles out the owners of the NBA. He essentially said, "When these billionaires sign you or give you any money, they put their arm around and tell you that 'anything you and your family need, i got you.' Well, we need you! Y'all the ones with the connections! It's the owners that have all the connections. They need to step in and do something." I don't know if today's events will lead towards anything like that, but take it fwiw.

I’m going to say it, Adam Silver has failed the owners.

I get using your platform but there are tons of jobs on the line that these boycotts will cost. The networks lose money, owners lose money, facility staff jobs gone, etc.

Use the platform but when it crosses the line of not having the product Adam Silver is in charge of on the court and the job these players are put multi million dollars to perform.

Imagine if any of us just walked out of work and refused to work for social injustice. We’d be fired so fast.

NBA has backed themselves into a bad corner that I don’t think they can get out of now. So what happens next season if another “social injustice” instance happens do they stop playing again?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

There is literally no way this works. You can’t demand change with nobody on the other side to enact change from. 
I don’t have a problem with them skipping games but Aggie nailed it when he said “until what?”  You aren’t negotiating against someone with power to change something like with a CBA. There is no there there or anyone to whom you can redress your grievances. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

There is literally no way this works. You can’t demand change with nobody on the other side to enact change from. 
I don’t have a problem with them skipping games but Aggie nailed it when he said “until what?”  You aren’t negotiating against someone with power to change something like with a CBA. There is no there there or anyone to whom you can redress your grievances. 

Their team owners have connections to change makers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Awesome for them to do.

Here’s my issue...this will not have the intended effect because this isn’t really a boycott. It’s a postponement of games. They’re rescheduling games at a later date.

Most people won’t care once the games start again and as long as their teams play eventually.

Now what would Have had a much bigger impact is if the Bucks has not only boycotted but taken that loss due to forfeit.

Now THAT would carry some weight. THAT would get someone attention. They believe so strongly in this that they’re willing to lose Playoff games and possibly even a series(I know a stretch) by boycotting.

I just feel like this will get some news today...the people that need to see it and make the change aren’t going to pay attention and when games start again it’ll just make minimal impact.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Zero chance that speech was all over my twitter timeline absent the NBA playoffs.  This point is exactly why I think the most likely outcome is a short delay (maybe tomorrow as well) with cooler heads prevailing realizing they don't have near the platform absent playoff games.  

That speech would have been all over twitter regardless of whether it was game 41 of the season or the NBA Finals.  The playoffs and being in the bubble had nothing to do with it.  Now his status?  Yes, that did help because he’s a head coach of pro sports team when not many head coaches are really speaking out other than just quick sound bites. It’s more likely that speech wouldn’t have blown up like it did had Kenosha not happened. 

And I think you’re severally underestimating the platform the players have regardless of it being the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

So everyone saying this won't make a difference is in here whining that theres no games tonight

I’m not whining at all. I’m seriously asking who is supposed to do what about this, and how will having an nba or not having an nba affect change in the people they want change from. 

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder what I’ll see if I turn tnt on later. Hours of the 4 studio guys talking amongst themselves and court side reporters/commentators about the boycott, the shooting, the general feeling of  treatment?  Or do they preempt for a movie or something?

I think that is the real issue here.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not whining at all. I’m seriously asking who is supposed to do what about this, and how will having an nba or not having an nba affect change in the people they want change from. 

You literally said protests don't work and if history has taught us anything its that they don't. 

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I’m going to say it, Adam Silver has failed the owners.

I get using your platform but there are tons of jobs on the line that these boycotts will cost. The networks lose money, owners lose money, facility staff jobs gone, etc.

Use the platform but when it crosses the line of not having the product Adam Silver is in charge of on the court and the job these players are put multi million dollars to perform.

Imagine if any of us just walked out of work and refused to work for social injustice. We’d be fired so fast.

NBA has backed themselves into a bad corner that I don’t think they can get out of now. So what happens next season if another “social injustice” instance happens do they stop playing again?

You're seeing this from a financial standpoint. You shouldn't. The NBA isn't. The NBA knows the players are their league. And the players are saying it's about more than that. Go listen to Doc Rivers postgame last night. This goes more to the black experience in this country and these players have a huge platform to do what they can. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That speech would have been all over twitter regardless of whether it was game 41 of the season or the NBA Finals.  The playoffs and being in the bubble had nothing to do with it.  Now his status?  Yes, that did help because he’s a head coach of pro sports team when not many head coaches are really speaking out other than just quick sound bites. It’s more likely that speech wouldn’t have blown up like it did had Kenosha not happened. 

And I think you’re severally underestimating the platform the players have regardless of it being the playoffs. 

I’m not underestimating their platform. I’m saying they don’t have the ability to fix this. Baltimore and NYC and Ferguson happened under a black president and democratic leadership- so it’s not a political thing. 
it’s not a negotiation you can have with owners. It’s not something you can bring pressure to bear on to make something happen. 
If it worked like that and there was some efficacy to boycotts I’d join in with them. Very few people want this shit to happen. But how do you stop it?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You're seeing this from a financial standpoint. You shouldn't. The NBA isn't. The NBA knows the players are their league. And the players are saying it's about more than that. Go listen to Doc Rivers postgame last night. This goes more to the black experience in this country and these players have a huge platform to do what they can. 

Realistically though finances in this country > life. Disease out front should have told ya.

When this ends up coming down to loss of money and etc the NBA will change and networks start charging back on contracts to recoup money.

It’s a sad truth but it’s the truth.

NBA bends over backwards to let these players promote themselves and push their personal agendas but the players need to give back too.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not underestimating their platform. I’m saying they don’t have the ability to fix this. Baltimore and NYC and Ferguson happened under a black president and democratic leadership- so it’s not a political thing. 
it’s not a negotiation you can have with owners. It’s not something you can bring pressure to bear on to make something happen. 
If it worked like that and there was some efficacy to boycotts I’d join in with them. Very few people want this shit to happen. But how do you stop it?  

Facts.

The problem, is the players have semi backed themselves into a corner. What happens once all the evidence comes out and it doesn't match their feelings? What if this is only temporary, they are playing and another black person gets killed? Unfortunately it could happen. Are they going to stop playing again? So every time a black person is killed by the cops and there isn't immediate justice, are we going to get a boycott?And what happens if it is indeed a justifiable shooting? How is that going to look?

This would have made more sense if the cause was around Breonna Taylor. There was very little wiggle room to scapegoat that shooting. They may be doing the right thing, but they picked the wrong time/person.

And I don't care if they finish the season or not. It's not like the Rockets were going to win anything, anyway. 

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

NBA bends over backwards to let these players promote themselves and push their personal agendas but the players need to give back too.

I'd imagine the players would argue they gave up quite a bit to be bubbled for multiple months on end when they could've just shut the entire season down and called it a year.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They don’t care. If kaepernick was kneeling in support of the police and he said:

“I will not stand for a company that doesn’t support our policemen. I’m kneeling because there needs to be a change in America”

then there would be unanimous support from the right. They just don’t agree with why anyone is protesting. It’s why they call BLM a terrorist organization. 

• Hook 'Em 1