Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

46 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Part of what got them to the bubble (in theory) is that it would provide a bigger platform. I'm not sure leaving helps that. Boycotting a game or two, maybe. But if they leave, I think they lose some of that impact. 

Lol. Look at this thread. 3 pages in an hour. None of these people watch the NBA or care enough to post about it normally, but everyone is sure as shit participating in this thread. 

So what creates a bigger platform?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I’m going to say it, Adam Silver has failed the owners.

I get using your platform but there are tons of jobs on the line that these boycotts will cost. The networks lose money, owners lose money, facility staff jobs gone, etc.

Use the platform but when it crosses the line of not having the product Adam Silver is in charge of on the court and the job these players are put multi million dollars to perform.

Imagine if any of us just walked out of work and refused to work for social injustice. We’d be fired so fast.

NBA has backed themselves into a bad corner that I don’t think they can get out of now. So what happens next season if another “social injustice” instance happens do they stop playing again?

Who fucking cares about the owners and networks. They get paid an ungodly amount of money and will be just fine. Both sides are greedy ass pigs. Boo hoo to them.

And why do people continue to compare their regular 9-5 jobs with those of world class athletes that have leverage and power? They aren't even close to the same thing. If you want to be able to do this with zero consequence, get a job that has power and leverage and you can not be easily replaced. These players have a voice and a platform and they are using it.

These bubble playoffs with goofy virtual fans and zero atmosphere are lame anyways and any team who wins it all this year, won't even be looked on as a legit champion in reality and the players know this.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

No charges? Oh my gosh, a wanted felon had a physical altercation with the police that were called because he was doing something illegal, and might have had a weapon on him at the time. They tried unsuccessfully to end the conflict with non lethal means, but couldn't. Then the police immediately called for emergency services while tending to his injuries. What exactly should they be charged with, Doc. If you walked into your house with Blake sexually assaulting your wife or daughters, what the fuck would you do?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 14

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The problem, is the players have semi backed themselves into a corner. What happens once all the evidence comes out and it doesn't match their feelings? What if this is only temporary, they are playing and another black person gets killed? Unfortunately it could happen. Are they going to stop playing again? So every time a black person is killed by the cops and there isn't immediate justice, are we going to get a boycott?And what happens if it is indeed a justifiable shooting? How is that going to look?

This would have made more sense if the cause was around Breonna Taylor. There was very little wiggle room to scapegoat that shooting. They may be doing the right thing, but they picked the wrong time/person.

And I don't care if they finish the season or not. It's not like the Rockets were going to win anything, anyway. 

I see it as a culmination of all the shit they’ve been upset about since George Floyd. They’ve been pushing the Breonna Taylor issue pretty heavily.

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

I see it as a culmination of all the shit they’ve been upset about since George Floyd. They’ve been pushing the Breonna Taylor issue pretty heavily.

Yep. It’s not one person or one death. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No charges? Oh my gosh, a wanted felon had a physical altercation with the police that were called because he was doing something illegal, and might have had a weapon on him at the time. They tried unsuccessfully to end the conflict with non lethal means, but couldn't. Then the police immediately called for emergency services while tending to his injuries. What exactly should they be charged with, Doc. If you walked into your house with Blake sexually assaulting your wife or daughters, what the fuck would you do?

Is that what happened here? No it isn’t. His past has nothing to do with anything that happened here. 

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

How is stating that George Floyd a convicted criminal, the other guy also a convicted criminal, and a girl hit by crossfire in a drug raid of her criminal boyfriends place racist?

How does that have anything to do with him being murdered by police? Was he executed for those crimes or was he murdered at the hands of police? You’re either a racist or really fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea not sure why that is hard for people to understand. It isn't just because of the last one it is because of all the previous shit cops have done and will continue to do

Yep.

This is just one more in a very long series of abuses by cops.  Black people and white people are not policed the same in this country, and that ought to piss ALL of us off.  

And we've all known that for a long time.  But what really opened my eyes was the police response to the mostly peaceful protesters around the country.  Clip after clip of physical assaults, often against women and college-aged kids, shooting "less lethal" rounds into homeless people, and on and on.  I used to think that "most cops" are good people doing a very difficult job, and maybe 3 to 5% were dangerous.  After what I saw at those protests, I have to concede that I was seriously underestimating the percentage of bad cops.  I still think it's less than half, but it ain't 3 to 5%, either.  And it makes sense: if you're the type of person who wants to hurt people with impunity, what kinds of jobs appeal to you?  Military, police, corrections officer.  

We have to be careful not to go too far the other way and assume that all cops, or even most cops, are sadistic pieces of shit.  But our policing is fucked up in this country and it's got to get fixed somehow.  I don't know what the answer is, but unanimous outcry from the people they're supposed to be protecting seems like a reasonable start.

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

How is stating that George Floyd a convicted criminal, the other guy also a convicted criminal, and a girl hit by crossfire in a drug raid of her criminal boyfriends place racist?

Who fucking cares if they were convicted criminals?  They were people with families and friends and lives.

Cops do not get to execute people in the street.  That is not their role.  How fucking stupid are you?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Who fucking cares if they were convicted criminals?  They were people with families and friends and lives.

Cops do not get to execute people in the street.  That is not their role.  How fucking stupid are you?

I thought y’all got the memo that cops are now tasked with murdering anyone who’s ever had a criminal record?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Actually it has a lot to do with it and why real change will never happen but it’s not a topic for this thread.

So any person with any criminal past and doesn't obey the boys in blue deserves to get shot and killed on the spot? I mean I know there is a good faction of people who believe this but it's pretty fucking shitty. Also, it goes deeper than just their criminal past and actions with the cops because those people usually only come out in certain shootings. Maybe people are tired of seeing certain people get blown away by cops for just disobeying them meanwhile other groups of people get preferential treatment even after they just mass murdered a shit ton of people. Who gives a shit what their past is when it comes to this.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The problem, is the players have semi backed themselves into a corner. What happens once all the evidence comes out and it doesn't match their feelings? What if this is only temporary, they are playing and another black person gets killed? Unfortunately it could happen. Are they going to stop playing again? So every time a black person is killed by the cops and there isn't immediate justice, are we going to get a boycott?And what happens if it is indeed a justifiable shooting? How is that going to look?

This would have made more sense if the cause was around Breonna Taylor. There was very little wiggle room to scapegoat that shooting. They may be doing the right thing, but they picked the wrong time/person.

And I don't care if they finish the season or not. It's not like the Rockets were going to win anything, anyway. 

That’s not why they’ve backed themself into a corner. They backed themselves into a corner because nothing will change. Not in this lifetime. Changes like this don’t happen overnight. Takes a generation. So what happens the next time this happens (probably in September). What happens when nothing changes? Just start playing again? What did that accomplish? I respect what they’re doing, but ain’t shit gonna change. 

• Like 1

So any person with any criminal past and doesn't obey the boys in blue deserves to get shot and killed on the spot? I mean I know there is a good faction of people who believe this but it's pretty fucking shitty. Also, it goes deeper than just their criminal past and actions with the cops because those people usually only come out in certain shootings. Maybe people are tired of seeing certain people get blown away by cops for just disobeying them meanwhile other groups of people get preferential treatment even after they just mass murdered a shit ton of people. Who gives a shit what their past is when it comes to this.

No it’s more about black communities and culture glorifying the criminals and etc. “Free my man____ he ain’t done nothing” stuff. It’s the glorifying of people like George Floyd. You know what’s going to change that? The black communities themselves criticizing and chastising their own people for wrong doing instead of glorifying it. Changes start in your community. All these protest and riots aren’t going to make much change. They never have.

When a black person speaks negatively about one of the people who are being glorified they are criticized worse than the person killed. And called uncle toms, etc by their own people

You know who don’t have problems with police? Black people who don’t argue or try to fight police.

If you cooperate and do what’s asked in those scenarios of traffic stops and etc 99% chance nothing happens

You may not agree with how I went about saying the above but it’s honestly what has to happen for change to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Kermit said:

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. It’s not one person or one death. 

18 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea not sure why that is hard for people to understand. It isn't just because of the last one it is because of all the previous shit cops have done and will continue to do

But that is not what everyone is going to focus on, see Kapernick. The reality is that this is going to about Jacob. And once the message is lost, public perception battle is lost. 

I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Edited by Brothahorn

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Due process, only for people without criminal records now. Good to know. 

"Look, don't try to lure me into some maze of circular logic."  /seinfeldphonecompanytech

If you don't get convicted, you'll get due process.  If you don't get due process, you'll get convicted.  

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

No it’s more about black communities and culture glorifying the criminals and etc. “Free my man____ he ain’t done nothing” stuff. It’s the glorifying of people like George Floyd. You know what’s going to change that? The black communities themselves criticizing and chastising their own people for wrong doing instead of glorifying it. Changes start in your community. All these protest and riots aren’t going to make much change. They never have.

When a black person speaks negatively about one of the people who are being glorified they are criticized worse than the person killed. And called uncle toms, etc by their own people.

You can fuck right off. Seriously just put your robes on

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s not why they’ve backed themself into a corner. They backed themselves into a corner because nothing will change. Not in this lifetime. Changes like this don’t happen overnight. Takes a generation. So what happens the next time this happens (probably in September). What happens when nothing changes? Just start playing again? What did that accomplish? I respect what they’re doing, but ain’t shit gonna change. 

Why do people keep blowing this off with saying "it takes a long time to change and this won't do it". Well, you can't actually have change without actually doing something. Did anyone think Rosa Parks doing what she did on a bus would set the precedent it did? You have to start somewhere. You can't keep sitting on your hands and claiming nothing can ever be done and shrugging it off and putting it off for a later time. This will get eyes on the situation even more. You are going to have people talking about it that normally would not. This little thread is evident of that. Their goal is to not stop all police shooting and harassment. They know that is not possible. But they are tired of it and want to use their platform. Good for them. Fuck these bubble playoffs anyways. I watch because I love basketball but if it stopped, would not bother me at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is no “change makers” in this. If there was we’d see an end to it. It’s random dipshits doing random stuff that sucks. You can’t change that. 

As far as the Jacob Blake issue goes.   The word was the team was on the phone with attorney general and Lt Gov of Wisconsin to get some movement on this particular event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Disagree all you want but change happens from within the community. Don’t rely on politicians, protest, etc. go out do what you can for your community, rise out, come back, help grow the community positively.

That’s all fine but what isn’t fine is your obvious racism which is why no one gives a shit about you’re stupid fucking point.

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

But that is not what everyone is going to focus on, see Kapernick. The reality is that this is going to about Jacob. And once the message is lost, public perception battle is lost. 

I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Yes, you’re wrong here.  

That’s all fine but what isn’t fine is your obvious racism which is why no one gives a shit about you’re stupid fucking point.

So you can’t say black or black communities? What are we supposed to refer to those communities as and individuals as? I gave a quotes example of how said individuals/community idolize a criminal within the community.

You may disagree with how I stated it but the root of my argument is the only way change will happen.

It’s very odd how you’re quick to throw racist and white robes out without knowing my ethnicity

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So you can’t say black or black communities? What are we supposed to refer to those communities as and individuals as? I gave a quotes example of how said individuals/community idolize a criminal within the community.

You may disagree with how I stated it but the root of my argument is the only way change will happen.

It’s very odd how you’re quick to throw racist and white robes out without knowing my ethnicity

It’s almost like you can still be a racist regardless of your race.

But hey you know what, maybe you weren’t being racist and you just think that all persons with a criminal record should be shot by police. So you tell me what the answer is 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd imagine the players would argue they gave up quite a bit to be bubbled for multiple months on end when they could've just shut the entire season down and called it a year.  

Exactly this.   To say they aren't giving is just plain stupid.

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why do people keep blowing this off with saying "it takes a long time to change and this won't do it". Well, you can't actually have change without actually doing something. Did anyone think Rosa Parks doing what she did on a bus would set the precedent it did? You have to start somewhere. You can't keep sitting on your hands and claiming nothing can ever be done and shrugging it off and putting it off for a later time. This will get eyes on the situation even more. You are going to have people talking about it that normally would not. This little thread is evident of that. Their goal is to not stop all police shooting and harassment. They know that is not possible. But they are tired of it and want to use their platform. Good for them. Fuck these bubble playoffs anyways. I watch because I love basketball but if it stopped, would not bother me at all.

Look, i agree with you. But we’re talking about police. Police don’t give a fuck about what you think. At all. They’re gonna keep doing what they do. They’re gonna have a heightened sense of awareness because they know most black people hate the police. They’re going to keep lying on police reports to cover their ass. They’re going to keep using the excuse of “my body cam must have malfunctioned” when they turn it off to do something sketchy. They’re going to keep trying to intimidate and entice violence, because that’s why they signed up to be police officers. So they can use their weapons. They’re begging for you to push back or resist, because for them, that’s when the fun starts. So I get what you’re saying but I’m telling you, ain’t shit gonna change. It won’t change until police unions admit there’s a problem and there needs to be change. But that would involve a police officer admitting he was wrong. LOLOL and we all know for a fucking fact that’ll never happen. Hell the police department is still backing the cop that pushed the raptors owner. They still try to tell us that the raptors owner started it, even though we see the fucking video. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup