Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s not why they’ve backed themself into a corner. They backed themselves into a corner because nothing will change. Not in this lifetime. Changes like this don’t happen overnight. Takes a generation. So what happens the next time this happens (probably in September). What happens when nothing changes? Just start playing again? What did that accomplish? I respect what they’re doing, but ain’t shit gonna change. 

Ahh, yes.  I remember being so moved the first time I heard Dr. King say "it is what it is."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look, i agree with you. But we’re talking about police. Police don’t give a fuck about what you think. At all. They’re gonna keep doing what they do. They’re gonna have a heightened sense of awareness because they know most black people hate the police. They’re going to keep lying on police reports to cover their ass. They’re going to keep using the excuse of “my body cam must have malfunctioned” when they turn it off to do something sketchy. They’re going to keep trying to intimidate and entice violence, because that’s why they signed up to be police officers. So they can use their weapons. They’re begging for you to push back or resist, because for them, that’s when the fun starts. So I get what you’re saying but I’m telling you, ain’t shit gonna change. It won’t change until police unions admit there’s a problem and there needs to be change. But that would involve a police officer admitting he was wrong. LOLOL and we all know for a fucking fact that’ll never happen. Hell the police department is still backing the cop that pushed the raptors owner. They still try to tell us that the raptors owner started it, even though we see the fucking video. 

Police unions are the problem though. Not necessarily all the patrolmen

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m just a cynical asshole, man. I know shit isn’t changing in my lifetime. Not the fucking police. Like, zero chance. I hope I’m wrong.

Like me you,  you live in reality. Too many people let their feelings become their reality. Talking about what it should be as opposed to what it is.

Edited by Brothahorn

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m just a cynical asshole, man. I know shit isn’t changing in my lifetime. Not the fucking police. Like, zero chance. I hope I’m wrong.

That may be but does not mean people should not speak out about it and try and demand justice and change. Sitting on your hands will bring zero change. 

This year there has been a lot of momentum in the public eye to try and make change to the police. It's just getting started. We are seeing stuff we have never seen before.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is that what happened here? No it isn’t. His past has nothing to do with anything that happened here. 

So the police weren't called to the scene? Blake didn't a have a felony warrant for sexual assault? Blake didn't get into a altercation with the police? Which didn't happen?

Tell you what, you go sexual assault someone and then go interact with the police when they know you have a felony warrant for your arrest, and see how things go when you get into an altercation with them, while potentially carrying a weapon.

• Fuck You 2

That may be but does not mean people should not speak out about it and try and demand justice and change. Sitting on your hands will bring zero change. 

This year there has been a lot of momentum in the public eye to try and make change to the police. It's just getting started. We are seeing stuff we have never seen before.

Such as businesses being destroyed, defunding of police forces that will reduced jobs, and what else? All the good will and progress made literally gets counter-acted by the above.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

So the police weren't called to the scene? Blake didn't a have a felony warrant for sexual assault? Blake didn't get into a altercation with the police? Which didn't happen?

Tell you what, you go sexual assault someone and then go interact with the police when they know you have a felony warrant for your arrest, and see how things go when you get into an altercation with them, while potentially carrying a weapon.

He wasn't in the act of sexual assault when the police were called.    He was reportedly trying to break up a fight.   I've seen nothing that said they knew who he was or that he had a warrant at the time of the interaction.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

For the record, i respect what they’re doing. I agree there needs to be change. I just don’t think this is going to accomplish anything. When you’re talking about police unions (arguably the strongest union), you’re dealing with a completely different animal. The change would have to come from within where each police union just has a change of heart. 

Those unions are why we will never see change. And it’s why we’re going to keep seeing cities burn to the ground from riots. This will be a never ending cycle, it’s just that now more people are aware that it’s happening. There’s no he said she said, or blindly trusting police officers from the public. But that’s about it. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Isn’t everyone potentially carrying a weapon?

• Hook 'Em 3

If the players are trying to figure out what would be the most impactful outcome, maybe it would be for the rest of the teams to start back up as scheduled but have the Bucks release s statement that they will forfeit each game until the cop(s) involved in the Kenosha shooting are arrested.  Reportedly they were on the phone in the locker room with the AG's office.  I think taking that stand as the hometown team miles away from where the incident took place would have the biggest impact.  It would actually increase pressure locally to expedite the investigation (they would have to forfeit 3 games in order to lose the series so assuming first forfeited game would be Friday, that gives it another week) and then to the extent they are forfeited out of the playoffs (as the Eastern Conference Favorite) then it will continue to be a topic throughout the playoffs.   If they just shut down the season, outside of free agency, nobody is talking about basketball again until they start things back up in '21, particularly with the NFL kicking off in 3 weeks.   

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So you can’t say black or black communities? What are we supposed to refer to those communities as and individuals as? I gave a quotes example of how said individuals/community idolize a criminal within the community.

You may disagree with how I stated it but the root of my argument is the only way change will happen.

It’s very odd how you’re quick to throw racist and white robes out without knowing my ethnicity

I'll bet you also have "many black friends."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Was he sexually assaulting someone when he interacted with police? No. Did they know about those warrants? No. Is that why they were called to the scene? No.

So was he potentially carrying a weapon or carrying a weapon? Police can shoot anyone that might have a weapon now? Those are the rules of engagement for our police? 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Dude... I was high off of my ass talking to the cops like 2 months ago. I can't even remember what I had on me, probably xanax, maybe that and coke, I was definitely high on both of them and piss drunk. 

Do you know what happened? Me and this cop had a conversation about whether I could drive or not. He told me I was fucked up and that if I tried to drive away he would HAVE to pull me over. 

Then I got an uber and went home. No one got shot. 

Shit like that happens every hour of every day. People don't even get arrested for worse behavior than what Blake exhibited (putting the sexual assault or whatever he had a warrant out for aside). There's no reason to ever shoot someone in a situation like that. It's ludicrous.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

No it’s more about black communities and culture glorifying the criminals and etc. “Free my man____ he ain’t done nothing” stuff. It’s the glorifying of people like George Floyd. You know what’s going to change that? The black communities themselves criticizing and chastising their own people for wrong doing instead of glorifying it. Changes start in your community. All these protest and riots aren’t going to make much change. They never have.

When a black person speaks negatively about one of the people who are being glorified they are criticized worse than the person killed. And called uncle toms, etc by their own people

You know who don’t have problems with police? Black people who don’t argue or try to fight police.

If you cooperate and do what’s asked in those scenarios of traffic stops and etc 99% chance nothing happens

You may not agree with how I went about saying the above but it’s honestly what has to happen for change to happen.

Holy shit man. Back away from the keyboard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude... I was high off of my ass talking to the cops like 2 months ago. I can't even remember what I had on me, probably xanax, maybe that and coke, I was definitely high on both of them and piss drunk. 

Do you know what happened? Me and this cop had a conversation about whether I could drive or not. He told me I was fucked up and that if I tried to drive away he would HAVE to pull me over. 

Then I got an uber and went home. No one got shot. 

Shit like that happens every hour of every day. People don't even get arrested for worse behavior than what Blake exhibited (putting the sexual assault or whatever he had a warrant out for aside). There's no reason to ever shoot someone in a situation like that. It's ludicrous.

Now imagine if you were black.

• Hook 'Em 1

So this is the problem or why a preorder doesn’t work here- it’s too nebulous. 
What is the criteria for when we are playing again?  
When we have racial justice?  
who decides?

what’s the metric?  
What happens if we never get there?  
how do we know we have succeeded. 

Strikes and walk outs are really good for some things: we aren’t coming back until this is made safe, or we have health care, of we make $25.00 an hour. Or lots of other stuff. Whatever you want to pick. As long as its concrete, measurable and within the power of the other party to give to you/negotiate for. 
but this isn’t concrete, measurable and it’s not within the ability of the other party to do for you. 
waive a magic wand. Make LeBron president. Can he stop black people from getting shot by the cops?  I doubt it. Obama couldn’t and I’m sure he sincerely wanted to. W couldn’t and I’m sure he sincerely wanted to. Same as Clinton. Now- I don’t think Trump wants to do anything about this, but what the president wants or doesn’t want doesn’t drive events. And that’s the most powerful man in the world. 
that’s the heart breaking thing about it. If it was within someone’s power to make happen we could vote them out or storm the gates and demand it change. 
but that’s not how it works. I’m curious to see if/when they will play again and what that looks like. 
Those guys can do whatever they want and  I support that right. I’m absolutely sure their heart is in the right place. I understand they are hurting (don’t experience it but I can see the pain and it’s there and real) I too want it to stop, but this seems like pissing into the wind. 

21 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Pretty sure that’s the point he was trying to make 

I get it.   The story just had me a little fucked up.    I can't even begin to imagine an interaction like that with police.

Change is coming.  In fact, it is already occurring.  The police have been reducing their presence in black areas of major cities and that process will dramatically accelerate in the near term.  They will respond to clean up murder scenes but not much more than that.  

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So this is the problem or why a preorder doesn’t work here- it’s too nebulous. 
What is the criteria for when we are playing again?  
When we have racial justice?  
who decides?

what’s the metric?  
What happens if we never get there?  
how do we know we have succeeded. 

Strikes and walk outs are really good for some things: we aren’t coming back until this is made safe, or we have health care, of we make $25.00 an hour. Or lots of other stuff. Whatever you want to pick. As long as its concrete, measurable and within the power of the other party to give to you/negotiate for. 
but this isn’t concrete, measurable and it’s not within the ability of the other party to do for you. 
waive a magic wand. Make LeBron president. Can he stop black people from getting shot by the cops?  I doubt it. Obama couldn’t and I’m sure he sincerely wanted to. W couldn’t and I’m sure he sincerely wanted to. Same as Clinton. Now- I don’t think Trump wants to do anything about this, but what the president wants or doesn’t want doesn’t drive events. And that’s the most powerful man in the world. 
that’s the heart breaking thing about it. If it was within someone’s power to make happen we could vote them out or storm the gates and demand it change. 
but that’s not how it works. I’m curious to see if/when they will play again and what that looks like. 
Those guys can do whatever they want and  I support that right. I’m absolutely sure their heart is in the right place. I understand they are hurting (don’t experience it but I can see the pain and it’s there and real) I too want it to stop, but this seems like pissing into the wind. 

Maybe they just wanted to make a statement.   Maybe not and they will have concrete demands after they meet tonight.    Its not like they had to have a list of what they wanted to come back when they walked out.    Saying its pointless without knowing what their expectations are is kinda silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Dylan Roof massacred nine black people. Cops bought him Burger King.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

I get it.   The story just had me a little fucked up.    I can't even begin to imagine an interaction like that with police.

I dealt with a similar situation in college. We were tailgating all day. My buddy started walking back before us but we followed probably 5 mins after. We noticed a bicycle cop had stopped my friend and he was arresting him for a PI (even though he was within sight of his apartment). I remember calling the cop a piece of shit who had nothing better to do than meet his quota, since our apartment was literally right in front of us and we were all clearly just heading home from drinking. When we got our friend out of the drunk tank the next morning, I remember him saying “I can’t believe you talk to cops like that. Only white people can pull off some shit like that.”

Ill give you one guess at my friends ethnicity. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Disagree all you want but change happens from within the community. Don’t rely on politicians, protest, etc. go out do what you can for your community, rise out, come back, help grow the community positively.

yeah, it's the community's responsibility to stop the police from constantly murdering the community. fucking hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Comfirmed, Blake had a weapon ("knive") in his possession when the cops were called and during the interaction with the police.

So 4 cops can’t handle one regular sized dude with a knife. Gotta shoot him, and not just shoot him, but do it 7 times. Got it. No chance that dude gets that treatment if he’s a 50 year old white dude. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So 4 cops can’t handle one regular sized dude with a knife. Gotta shoot him, and not just shoot him, but do it 7 times. Got it. No chance that dude gets that treatment if he’s a 50 year old white dude. 

I don't know what to tell you. Any person fighting cops with a knife is going to get shot.

Blake told the investigators he had a knife.

Edited by HtownHorn

24 minutes ago, d2o said:

Maybe they just wanted to make a statement.   Maybe not and they will have concrete demands after they meet tonight.    Its not like they had to have a list of what they wanted to come back when they walked out.    Saying its pointless without knowing what their expectations are is kinda silly.

Totally fair point. If they wanted to make a statement cool. Totally support that. If they come back with a list of demands I’m not sure who they are going to present those demands to but then we’d see what they are looking for/where their head is at. 
Maybe I’m just a little premature in talking about all this. 
Also- if they take a vote and say “we ain’t playing. We don’t like the message it sends as black people being entertainers for

your amusement but also gunned down in the street I will have total respect for that.  But I also won’t be interested in hearing any complaints when salary cap goes down. That would be an amazing and courageous stand but it’s going to have very real consequences on the nba, teams, league office, corporate partners etc. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't know what to tell you. Any person fighting cops with a knife is going to get shot.

But he wasn’t fighting with cops when they shot him. That’s not why they shot him. They shot him because they felt so disrespected that he disobeyed orders. Then they got excited because they knew they were going to get to do the thing they signed up for when they wanted to be police officers. That’s the fun part for them. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, gotta imagine there's a pretty large contingent who want to keep things moving, so they can get back to their families.

Yep. And it hurts the journeymen more than the stars whenever there’s a 20% haircut in paychecks coming. But it’s a star driven league. They will do what the banana boat/harden/Westbrook/Giannis types want I would think. 
With who drives the money and interest that’s probably fair.