Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Don't mean this in a bad way, but LeBron isn't a Chinese citizen, so it's technically not his business. Maybe that's why he didn't speak on it. 

I wouldn't want Yao Ming speaking about the evils of capitalism/our issues while he was playing. Just my opinion on why he didn't address it.

Silence would have been fine. He told Morey he was “uneducated” on the subject and to basically keep his mouth shut in regards to HK and China. Which is beyond fucking laughable. He supports what is popular and best for his brand, which is fine, but he is no leader. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Don't mean this in a bad way, but LeBron isn't a Chinese citizen, so it's technically not his business. Maybe that's why he didn't speak on it. 

I wouldn't want Yao Ming speaking about the evils of capitalism/our issues while he was playing. Just my opinion on why he didn't address it.

Like has been said a couple times- not speaking out would have been cool. He ran to defend/white knight the chicoms- that was the problem. 

So, ESPN said don’t think of this as a boycott. Think of it as a collective mourning. Conceptualizing it that way makes a ton of sense to me. My only issue- ever- was the idea of a boycott really seems to me to be for a situation where you can have a dialogue and affect change- with a power broker on the other side that has control or ability to give you what you want- and this just wasn’t that. 
If you call it collective mourning and  say we aren’t ready to move on yet- that makes total and complete sense to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Except he didn't keep his mouth shut and acted like an idiot.   

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, ESPN said don’t think of this as a boycott. Think of it as a collective mourning. Conceptualizing it that way makes a ton of sense to me. My only issue- ever- was the idea of a boycott really seems to me to be for a situation where you can have a dialogue and affect change- with a power broker on the other side that has control or ability to give you what you want- and this just wasn’t that. 
If you call it collective mourning and  say we aren’t ready to move on yet- that makes total and complete sense to me. 

It appears they got more buy in from owners to try and do more to affect change.   So I dont get attempts to try and minimize it.    Calling it that is doing just that IMO.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

It appears they got more buy in from owners to try and do more to affect change.   So I dont get attempts to try and minimize it.    Calling it that is doing just that IMO.

I’m not trying to minimize anything. I just think of boycott as an adversarial process and I’m not sure what parties they could negotiate with that they’d be hostile toward if that makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not trying to minimize anything. I just think of boycott as an adversarial process and I’m not sure what parties they could negotiate with that they’d be hostile toward if that makes sense. 

I dont think they were hostile toward the owners/league at all but they did have an idea of what they wanted from them.

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Nice article. If any of you need a reason to hate Patrick Beverly more, it’s in there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-the-emotional-48-hours-that-saved-the-nb-as-bubble-050354990.html

This is a great read.  And yeah, I don't envy professionals like Michelle Roberts and CP3 having to deal with fucking children like Pat Beverly.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont think they were hostile toward the owners/league at all but they did have an idea of what they wanted from them.

I agree completely. Just odd situation and unprecedented (don’t mean that in a bad way) when players are tryin got touch stuff outside of their day to day. 
Ability to effectuate change or bring pressure to bear on an issue usually is determined by proximity to an issue. That’s what I’m struggling with understanding- from a practical standpoint what this looks like. 
also- from reading the behind the scenes stuff leaking out today sounds like I’m not the only one- sounds like Lebron was ticked off about it as well- talking about putting them in a no win situation without thought out demands and a plan to effect change. 
Honestly- the way this played out is perfect for them. They flexed their power, used their platform, can get some commitments for ????,  lots of positive ink- and no real downside. 
I think this is well played. 

10 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

He did speak on it. He ripped into Daryl Morey for speaking out against China. That's the entire point. Nobody is mad at LeBron for staying silent. It's the fact that he openly accosted a guy who did speak up. Thus, LeChina.

I've always liked and defended Bron and still do for the most part, but that was a character-showing moment. It was undeniably a bitch move.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree completely. Just odd situation and unprecedented (don’t mean that in a bad way) when players are tryin got touch stuff outside of their day to day. 
Ability to effectuate change or bring pressure to bear on an issue usually is determined by proximity to an issue. That’s what I’m struggling with understanding- from a practical standpoint what this looks like. 
also- from reading the behind the scenes stuff leaking out today sounds like I’m not the only one- sounds like Lebron was ticked off about it as well- talking about putting them in a no win situation without thought out demands and a plan to effect change. 
Honestly- the way this played out is perfect for them. They flexed their power, used their platform, can get some commitments for ????,  lots of positive ink- and no real downside. 
I think this is well played. 

The more that is reported it seems like the Bucks didnt really expect this to become a league wide thing.   They planned to forfeit the game and take the loss.    They took the time in the locker room to discuss what they wanted from this and contact the people who actually make decisions. 

Other teams/players decided to join in.    Some players seem to be upset because they were not included ahead of time.   The Bucks had smaller scale thoughts on this since it was their home area and I think that is being overlooked by those other players that are upset.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

The more that is reported it seems like the Bucks didnt really expect this to become a league wide thing.   They planned to forfeit the game and take the loss.    They took the time in the locker room to discuss what they wanted from this and contact the people who actually make decisions. 

Other teams/players decided to join in.    Some players seem to be upset because they were not included ahead of time.   The Bucks had smaller scale thoughts on this since it was their home area and I think that is being overlooked by those other players that are upset.

Agreed.  That was my take as well.  Bucks thought they were going to make a point to just forfeit the game which honestly would have been pretty cool IMO.  But yeah, I don't think they thought through at the time that it would almost certainly create a bigger waive.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I think this is a really smart point. Agree completely. Part of the problem with a large group/collective action etc etc. that will always exist. The more people you have the wider in scope things usually tend to get- more agenda etc. 

Problem isn’t the right word for the above- just lack of defined focus- goals as everyone has an opinion. It’s the reason for a committee to exist. Which is what looks like they set up. Of course, a committee can also be used as a way to stall/run out the clock/do nothing/kill something while appearing to take action. So good and bad potential there, just like with anything else. 
looks like they now have a path for further engagement or running out the clock, and the arena stuff was already happening, was beneficial and for the public good, and is within control of ownership. 

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

I think #2 here is actually really important and can affect change through more voting.  I like that that was included.

Agree - great idea on making the arenas safe voting locations. NBA has done a good job with the virus. Apply that knowledge to voting locations. 

W/W situation. 

2 hours ago, d2o said:

The Bucks probably intentionally didn't tell the other teams.  Like you said, this was their home area and they also had the first game that day.  They kind of deserved to be the leaders on this, and if they told the other teams, they knew certain players would've hijacked it.  Thus why those players were upset.  

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

He did speak on it. He ripped into Daryl Morey for speaking out against China. That's the entire point. Nobody is mad at LeBron for staying silent. It's the fact that he openly accosted a guy who did speak up. Thus, LeChina.

I've always liked and defended Bron and still do for the most part, but that was a character-showing moment. It was undeniably a bitch move.

While ineloquent in his comments the main reason for Lebron's reaction directed toward Morey was the fact he made those comments from friendly shores while a number of teams were still in China.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

While ineloquent in his comments the main reason for Lebron's reaction directed toward Morey was the fact he made those comments from friendly shores while a number of teams were still in China.  

On a plane, but yeah, that was part of it. I don’t think it was all of it but that’s fair. It didn’t warrant calling DM an uneducated rube on the issue and saying he was wrong about his sentiment, imo. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

But I was told that what they were doing was pointless and that nothing would come of it.

If true then people like me were wrong. And that's pretty powerful. Something Obama/Holder/Lynch couldn't just make happen.

But don't count those chickens just yet.

14 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Lebron brand taking another hit . . . 

As you know, LeBron James is a dear friend of mine. I have known LeBron since he was a starry eyed teenager playing high school basketball at St. Vincent St. Mary's. Our families have had dinner on MULTIPLE occasions and I have even offered to be present for the baptisms of ALL THREE of LeBron's children (which of course Mr. James later declined).

But to have the AUDACITY to WALK INTO THAT ROOM AND TREAT THESE YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN BALL PLAYERS THE WAY THAT LEBON JAMES DID is one of the most UNFORGIVABLE acts from an NBA superstar I have EVER seen.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

But I was told that what they were doing was pointless and that nothing would come of it.

The legislation has been under review for months. The Dem governor is pushing for it and didn’t get traction. Now he’s calling for a vote/passage. He’s using this as a tool but it’s not like it’s changing hearts or minds at this point in time. 
also- it’s illegal for cops to shoot black people for no reason already and it’s happening. It’s illegal to discriminate and it happens. Racial justice doesn’t happen through legislation (though if there’s something that can be advanced with laws I’d love to hear it and see it enacted). 
the arena thing is concrete, tangible and very cool. Good job by them. The hawks rockets and some others were already doing it.  Now it sounds like everyone will and that’s best practices. Cool. Tangible action within the control of owners. Exactly what I said is possible through bargaining, negotiation/ strike. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Lebron brand taking another hit . . . 

Meh.  Smith is just saying that James was putting on his holier-than-thou act.  James anointed himself the King way back.   No reason to expect him to act otherwise.

Spewing venom plus calling James a joke and a phony probably gets scoreboard for the day. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Meh.  Smith is just saying that James was putting on his holier-than-thou act.  James anointed himself the King way back.   No reason to expect him to act otherwise.

Spewing venom plus calling James a joke and a phony probably gets scoreboard for the day. 

What a waste of air.

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree - great idea on making the arenas safe voting locations. NBA has done a good job with the virus. Apply that knowledge to voting locations. 

W/W situation. 

Saw a comment on Twitter suggesting players be volunteers at the stadium voting sites. Could increase turnout, could also be a cluster fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

Saw a comment on Twitter suggesting players be volunteers at the stadium voting sites. Could increase turnout, could also be a cluster fuck.

I don’t imagine the Republicans would let that happen. Nor should they. Would probably be prohibited under electioneering rules. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1