Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Just curious for someone in the know, At what point does "not playing" effect their contracts and getting paid? Usually a strike at a regular job means a sacrifice of pay? I know that doesn't mean anything to super max players but it will to role players and bench guys that make the minimum. NBA already took a hit during the break from covid and now can play so wondering how much the owners put up with and this flowing into next season as well. Surely these guys don't think the owners are gonna pay them to be social warrior protestors right? Like i'm cool if you want to do that but also realizing you might need to retire if it means that much to you.

The macro economic impacts of this are why I think the playoffs continue.   I read the bubble is costing the league $150MM.  Most of those costs are already contractually sunk if the players decide to pick up and go home.   The league is already dealing with massive revenue loss due to COVID + China due to Morey's comments last year and the owners can terminate the CBA in October.  Players were already looking at a potential 15 to 20% salary cap reduction.   You take away TV revenue from essentially a player strike and the small market owners aren't going to be too friendly during negotiations.   This is why I think cooler heads will prevail and you will see a lot of push back on Lebron.   I'm sure most free agents are certainly not on board.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but he didn't speak up about China so that negates anything else positive that he's ever done or will ever do/attempt to do. 

It’s not that he didn’t speak up about them for me- I get that- it’s the way he attacked Morey and carried water for the Chinese. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No.  Not even close. 

Reported $400MM in revenue loss from China due to Morey's comments isn't chump change.  Especially given the massive revenue loss in a pandemic.  I don't blame the players/NBA for staying silent on China given the dollars at stake.  I mean the players aren't fucking chinese and chinese human rights violation doesn't impact their day to day lives living (largely) as black men in America.    It's not personal to them while significantly impacting their bottom line so not near the double standard the MAGA's make it out to be IMO.  

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Doesn’t China make the NBA more money than the US?

Not even close.  At least not yet anyways.  When the hubbub surrounding Morey's comments came up there were articles circulating around the intersphere estimating China-based NBA revenues at anywhere from 5 to 15%, however things were on track to project those revenues to being around 30% in the coming decade.  

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Reported $400MM in revenue loss from China due to Morey's comments isn't chump change.  Especially given the massive revenue loss in a pandemic.  I don't blame the players/NBA for staying silent on China given the dollars at stake.  I mean the players aren't fucking chinese and chinese human rights violation doesn't impact their day to day lives living (largely) as black men in America.    It's not personal to them while significantly impacting their bottom line so not near the double standard the MAGA's make it out to be IMO.  

Yeah- it’s a lot Of money. He asked if China was more revenue than the US and it’s not even close. It’s like 20% of total league revenue at most in China. That matters. But it’s not equivalent. 

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but he didn't speak up about China so that negates anything else positive that he's ever done or will ever do/attempt to do. 

Both Wulaw and I specifically spelled out that him not speaking up on China was not at all the issue, but don't let that stop you from being disingenuous.

• Like 1

LeBron did not remain silent on the Hong Kong protests. That's a mischaracterization. He outspokenly called support for the protestors "misinformed" and "not educated." Thus, in his opinion, the informed and educated side is the side of the Chinese government. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The macro economic impacts of this are why I think the playoffs continue.   I read the bubble is costing the league $150MM.  Most of those costs are already contractually sunk if the players decide to pick up and go home.   The league is already dealing with massive revenue loss due to COVID + China due to Morey's comments last year and the owners can terminate the CBA in October.  Players were already looking at a potential 15 to 20% salary cap reduction.   You take away TV revenue from essentially a player strike and the small market owners aren't going to be too friendly during negotiations.   This is why I think cooler heads will prevail and you will see a lot of push back on Lebron.   I'm sure most free agents are certainly not on board.

This X1000. Leaving the bubble is going cost them hundreds of millions of dollars AND they are going to lose their platform. It's a no brainer to pick it back up.

I completely understand the players' frustration and it seems like boycotting is about the only thing they can control right now and the only way to make a statement, but what is the real end game? You're going to go away and lessen the amount of exposure for the cause and at the same time knee cap yourself financially. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

WTF does this have to do with anything? So because he doesn’t go on political news shows to talk about issues and instead does it on his social media—which has a far larger audience than any interview would get—that bothers you?  This is seriously a post where you are just looking for a reason to complain about him, what he’s fighting for, or both.  

Let’s face it—he could go on those shows and then you’d come back here and complain that he’s just looking for attention or something.  He could do exactly what you want and you’d still find a reason to complain. 

So you should really just admit the real reason this bothers you.  You’d feel a lot better. 

We all know the real reason Lebron bothers him. Just read his posts.

I applaud any player/team wanting to protest. I won't be "boycotting" them in the future as I support them using their platform to send a message/further raise awareness around the issue of BLM/Violence against blacks by law enforcement. I am frankly unsure how much they will really impact by doing this but again I have no issue with what they are doing.

If you don't support this protest and wish to boycott I also support you in whatever path you choose. You can choose not to watch the NBA or MLB, you can choose not to wear Nike etc. You have all the power to decide what you wish to watch and/or consume.

That's the beauty of the system we live in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

As a Mavs fan, I think they should take their time.  No need to rush into anything.

Agreed 100%.   I think Mavs players should take the lead suggesting at least a 2-4 day brainstorming session on how to best use their platform to enact change.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So it's Ok to ignore the racial injustice in the US then too.   Fuck them.  It doesn't affect me...

The point is not to blow off racial injustice, but free pass for the NBA clowns on social statements is way the fuck denied.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Re: my statements on LeBron, I'll let Jaylen Brown speak for me, as he says it much better than I could.

Okay, if you guys leave here, are you just gonna leave and go chill and hang out with your families and lose that loneliness, or are you gonna be in the trenches, are you gonna be in the streets?

Where do you think LeBron will be?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/lebron-james-launching-multimillion-dollar-effort-recruit-poll/story?id=72598810

LeBron James and a Multimillion-Dollar Push for More Poll Workers

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/18/sport/lebron-james-voter-suppression-nba-spt-intl/index.html

LeBron James has encouraged the Black community to "know their voting rights" after signing a letter to fight voter suppression.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29656465/dodgers-lebron-james-team-make-dodger-stadium-polling-site

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James' voting-rights group has partnered with the Los Angeles Dodgers to make Dodger Stadium a polling place for the November general election, marking the first time a Major League Baseball team has offered its facility as a voting center.

https://www.becauseofthemwecan.com/blogs/news/lebron-james-launches-fund-to-help-restore-voting-rights-for-former-felons-in-florida

LeBron James announced a new initiative to help restore voting rights for former felons in Florida, Black Enterprise reports. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/lebron-james-hitting-campaign-trail-for-biden-and-harris

LeBron James hitting campaign trail for Biden and Harris

BUT WILL LEBRON EVEN DO ANYTHING OR JUST TWEET?!!?!?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

So it's Ok to ignore the racial injustice in the US then too.   Fuck them.  It doesn't affect me...

The point is not to blow off racial injustice, but free pass for the NBA clowns on social statements is way the fuck denied.

You already ignore it so no real change there. 

Lotta new NBA fans showing up all the sudden...

21 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You already ignore it so no real change there. 

Lotta new NBA fans showing up all the sudden...

You may not like Slorch but it’s hard to deny the hypocrisy of the NBA. Suppose all white people said “systemic racism doesn’t effect me so I’m going to ignore it”? If they really want to show how morally progressive they are then they should take a stand on the China issue.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You may not like Slorch but it’s hard to deny the hypocrisy of the NBA. Suppose all white people said “systemic racism doesn’t effect me so I’m going to ignore it”? If they really want to show how morally progressive they are then they should take a stand on the China issue.

No it isn’t. They don’t want to show how morally progressive they are. They want people who look like them to stop being murdered by the state. 

Yes let’s suppose that all white people said that. Tell me how that would be different than the last 400 years in this country?

You’re making the very stupid argument of “if you don’t protest everything, you can’t protest anything”.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

No it isn’t. They don’t want to show how morally progressive they are. They want people who look like them to stop being murdered by the state. 
Yes let’s suppose that all white people said that. Tell me how that would be different than the last 400 years in this country?

You’re making the very stupid argument of “if you don’t protest everything, you can’t protest anything”.

So only black lives matter? Chinese lives don’t?
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Exactly. No fucking shit people prioritize what's most important to them, their families, and their communities. Was MLK a hypocrite for not devoting equal time to Tibet? Holy hell.

LeBron should have absolutely kept his mouth shut about China, but it doesn't lessen the player's stance on issues at home.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You don’t have to take a stand against all injustice just because you take a stand against injustice in your life that you understand and appreciate. That’s an unfair standard. 
You should, probably, refrain from shitting all over someone who is speaking up for what they believe in fighting injustice. 

Oh so you mean it was an argument that’s not related to the point of this thread? You mean it obfuscates? Weird.
Why you go back to the racist tirades since that’s your only goal here anyway 
[mention=492]Bevo VIII[/mention]

It’s not. NBA and players bent the knee to China when it came social injustice and people being killed.

Now they take the moral high ground when it’s people of color being killed?

The great hold out of 2020 playoffs was 1 day before they agree to continue playing? Why only one day if this meant so much to them?

It’s what it boils down to and what it will all boil down to in the end, money.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It may not effect them but it does effect America.    ya know the place that so many of them wanna make great again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

It’s not. NBA and players bent the knee to China when it came social injustice and people being killed.

The great hold out of 2020 playoffs was 1 day before they agree to continue playing? Why only one day if this meant so much to them?

200.gif
Keep shooting

I’m sorry black men choosing to protest against other black men and women being murdered by the state upsets you so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

200.gif
Keep shooting

I’m sorry black men choosing to protest against other black men and women being murdered by the state upsets you so much.

Where are you seeing that the nba protesters are upsetting anybody?

I just think it ludicrous that the NBA bills itself as morally progressive yet not only turns a blind eye towards major human rights violations but panders to the country violating those human rights because it makes them a shit ton of money. I’m all in favor of the NBA supporting players right to protest or voice their opinions but they are hypocrites and if you can’t see that then you are one too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Where are you seeing that the nba protesters are upsetting anybody?

I just think it ludicrous that the NBA bills itself as morally progressive yet not only turns a blind eye towards major human rights violations but panders to the country violating those human rights because it makes them a shit ton of money. I’m all in favor of the NBA supporting players right to protest or voice their opinions but they are hypocrites and if you can’t see that then you are one too.

Maybe try reading the thread.

Yea it’s almost like China is a different issue than Black Lives Matter and players might have a different response to it. It’s so weird how people focus their efforts on specific things. Everyone should definitely focus all their efforts on all the things.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I haven't followed all of your comments made so I'm hesitant to comment here, but this is pretty much accurate.

Like I posted upthread, the players boycotted one night of games. They then met with the NBA the very next morning. They then agreed to continue playing. 

So what happened overnight? I don't think their political or moral stances changed. I'm not sure they are less fed up or outraged (although they did sleep on it). I do think that the league laid out some numbers for them and it made their stomachs drop a bit. 

These guys are human and they care about money just like the rest of us. Whether that money is going towards personal luxuries, friends and family, or the community. And for them, there is a lot more money on the line than for nearly everybody posting here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I haven't followed all of your comments made so I'm hesitant to comment here, but this is pretty much accurate.

Like I posted upthread, the players boycotted one night of games. They then met with the NBA the very next morning. They then agreed to continue playing. 

So what happened overnight? I don't think their political or moral stances changed. I'm not sure they are less fed up or outraged (although they did sleep on it). I do think that the league laid out some numbers for them and it made their stomachs drop a bit. 

These guys are human and they care about money just like the rest of us. Whether that money is going towards personal luxuries, friends and family, or the community. And for them, there is a lot more money on the line than for nearly everybody posting here.

They also had meetings and discussed ways to move forward and things they can do to help this cause. Nothing disappeared or got fixed overnight and that’s not the point. The point was to come together and to discuss ways to help. Of course they couldn’t solve this in a day.

The players have already been paid for this season. There’s no more game checks so the only money all pertains to next season’s cap, which will likely be smoothed by the league anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Do we live in China?  Get the fuck outta here.  And if you are serious with this nonsense then you might as well boycott every single corporation in America.  And literally consume next to nothing, forego your prescription drugs, etc.  Really show those chinese who is boss.  We (America) have a massive China dependency problem.  The NBA is miniscule to that.  But a certain segment of our population only likes to focus on the NBA?  I wonder why that is?

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

They also had meetings and discussed ways to move forward and things they can do to help this cause. Nothing disappeared or got fixed overnight and that’s not the point. The point was to come together and to discuss ways to help. Of course they couldn’t solve this in a day.
The players have already been paid for this season. There’s no more game checks so the only money all pertains to next season’s cap, which will likely be smoothed by the league anyway.

So they were so upset they couldn’t play yesterday but we’re expected to believe 3-4 hours of meetings this morning changed that?