Raised By Wolves- Ridley Scott Sci-Fi on HBO Max

mdmost

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A different take.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/raised-by-wolves-tv-review

It's more than possible that the momentum of that first episode might be enough to carry some viewers — fans of evasive-yet-ponderous hard sci-fi — through the series. I found the next five episodes a study in diminishing returns, the breathtaking aesthetic fading with Scott and Wolski's baton-passing after the second episode and the overall world of the show becoming less and less compelling with each contrived plot point and thinly sketched new character. With nobody and nothing to really care about, I'll probably skip the season's last four episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not sure if my question should be how old is Ridley Scott, or how old was he when he made alien like 45 years ago?

Good god, he’s 82. Realistically, how much Ridley Scott sci-fi do we have left??

The Expanse 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:49 PM, Js1 said:

Pulling a westworld already 

Just one other thought on that trope in films -- it works well with "hard sci-fi" because most fans of that genre want to know how the future might challenge assumption. Blade Runner was hard sci-fi that illustrated some of the dilemmas posed by AI. The Alien narrative has settled on that issue as a primary one for our future (at a time when we are setting the rules for AI (or not setting any rules).

This series appears to be expanding on those issues - given the trailer.

Hook 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched the whole thing over the last week or so. 

I dug it. 

The opening theme is stuck in my head. Tried to see if there was more of the song out there, but it was original to the show. 

It feels like it is in the same universe as Alien based only on the Android tech,  but I don’t remember any religion at all in the Alien franchise.

I’ll watch season 2. 

• 1 year later...