Grad Transfer RB Gabriel Watson

texifornia

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I need some help.

image.png

I’m having visions of her approaching me while letting her hair down, taking off her glasses and right before we kiss letting her skirt fall to the floor showing her tall black stockings and see-thru panties...

ill be right back...

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Watched all the highlights I could find of him - and I really like the way this kid runs. 

Went from JUCO to DII to now Texas - so you know this kid is going to work his ass off. 

I'll bet I was the only guy on here to see him play in person last year: 

Wait, he was hurt all last season?  So we're getting a D-II guy who hasn't played since 2018?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

He was basically the best back in DII in 2018. He was hurt game 1 of last season.

He's a bit of a plodder, but he's got good vision and finishes runs. Solid depth take if for no other reason that he'll work his ass off and push everyone else in front of him to get better.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Wait, he was hurt all last season?  So we're getting a D-II guy who hasn't played since 2018?

Correct. But he was the best in D2 before that and we're shooting for "similar to Daniel Young" levels of importance to our season here. I kind of like taking this kind of guy (or the Towson kid who picked UVA) instead of a career backup at a place like Auburn or whatever because it keeps a little bit of the small-school romance of college football alive.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I think @Ricky's one-hitter sometimes has IT stuff...

I did a little digging on the University of Sioux Falls Division II All-American transfer and he has an interesting story. By all appearances, Texas got a really solid young man.

Impressive interview below:

High School

Senior HUDL

Watson starred at Piedmont High in NorCal. Piedmont is a wealthy town in the East Bay surrounded by the city of Oakland. Enrollment is roughly equivalent to a small Texas 4A. Piedmont football is best known for it's short lived invention of the A-11 offense, one of the most creative and hilarious exploitations of the rules ever created. Read about it. It's worth your time. Watson didn't play in that offense, by the way.

Watson was a two time District Offensive Player Of The Year and an All-Metro selection. He had 1711 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior at 8.4 yards per attempt.

His HS highlights were solid and he was certainly very productive while dominating his lower tier competition. Watson lacked top end speed, but you see the good feet, acceleration, and stop-start. Runs with power. Watson also had very good grades and a 1960 SAT.

So why the lack of college attention?

1. Poor competition level. Piedmont turns out national merit scholars, not FBS football players.

2. Injury. He blew out his ACL as a senior.

3. Measurables. He measured out at 6-0, 204 and ran a 4.91 40 at a summer combine. A 4.91 is a hard number to sell for a RB.

Combine those three things and the average FBS recruiter is going to lose his number. Which is what everyone did after his ACL tear. Watson was an Unranked High School Prospect.

It is worth noting that 4.32 shuttle though. And frankly, the dude looked quicker in pads than his 40 suggests.

College

After a stint at Pomona (an elite small liberal arts school), Watson went to Diablo Valley JUCO to pursue his football dream. He saw spot action there (449 yards rushing, 265 yards receiving, 7 touchdowns) and got a year of that JUCO life. He was rescued from JUCO hell by his old RB coach recruiter from UC-Davis who had just gotten the OC gig at Sioux Falls University. Watson headed out towards the Badlands and played a like a very bad man.

In 2018, he set the single season schools records for rushing (1957 yards) and touchdowns (26). He averaged 7.3 yards per carry and surpassed 100 yards in every one of his 11 starts, including a 320 yard performance. His "worst" performance of the year was a 106 yard, two touchdown effort. The 1st team All-American was a finalist for the Harlon Hill Award (the Div II Heisman).

In 2019, his season was over before it really started. He ripped his hamstring and that effectively ended his season with nine total carries.

Sioux Falls isn't playing in 2020. So Watson decided to pursue his dream in Austin.

From an evaluation perspective, Watson has clearly gotten bigger and faster from his HS tape. He's a legit 6-0, 220 and he gets to top speed quickly, even if he isn't going to burn up a stopwatch. He continues to show good acceleration and vision, though it must be said that his offensive line is kicking wholesale ass in several of his highlights. In FBS football, he looks like a volume back who can create solid outcomes with a clean go and minimal penetration. He also makes some legitimately sweet cuts. His competition isn't exactly strong, but the kind of stuff he does at 1:39 in his highlights is pretty legit.

Most likely outcome? He's a great guy who will provide depth and represent the university well.

Absolute best case? There are dozens of former Div 2 guys who made the NFL with stories as improbable as Watson.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Since when do we call them "Special Forces?"  

FrankDenius_InMemoriam_Web.jpg?width=768

At least since 2007... The Texas Longhorns' special teams are called "The Special Forces" in honor of Frank Denius, a long-time supporter of the football team who was one of the ten most decorated soldiers involved in the European Theater and the D-Day Invasion in World War II. Every time the Longhorns practice, they do so at the practice facility named in his honor. Denius has been named a Distinguished American by the Greater Austin Chapter of the College Football Hall of Fame, and is chairman of the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium Veterans Committee. This is his story.

https://texassports.com/news/2007/5/28/052807aaa_381.aspx#:~:text=The Texas Longhorns' special teams are called "The,at the practice facility named in his honor.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/7/29/football-in-memoriam-frank-denius.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...