Wasteland 3

Sam Lin

Wasteland 3 is releasing on Fri!

Very much a spiritual successor to original Fallout, the iso-view tiled movement post-apocalyptic game with action points. Wasteland 2 was a cult hit, made largely through crowdfunding, and was quite good though short. Wasteland 3 looks great so far, all of the humor and ethics that the series has always been good at.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/wasteland-3-impressions-post-apocalyptic-tactics-ethics-and-economics/

I've heard mixed things on this but if it's more of the same with some things cleaned up here and there I think it will be good (assuming the story is solid). It sounds like the main complaint was "it seems like it was dumbed down for console"

I enjoyed Wasteland 2.  I read the review referenced in the OP.  I didn't like hearing that load times for game transitions can run almost 2 minutes each.  That would get very old very fast.  I might wait until the PS5 comes out and see if the load times are minimized on that platform.

I am playing on a PC.  The load times are terrible.  I have an SSD for Windows and an SSD for my games.  My machine will cold boot to the login screen in 9-10 secs.  Loading a save or transitioning an area takes ~30 seconds in the game.  That said, the game is awesome.  Any fans of Fallout 1/2 or Wasteland 2, this game is worth your time and money.

• 8 months later...