NES Thread

iodeac

So the wife still has her NES as well as about 20 games all in their original boxes, with instructions, promos, etc. She also has about 70 issues of Nintendo Power. Last night we had a blast playing RC ProAm, Life Force, and Marble Madness. I would love to introduce her to some of the classics I grew up playing, like for example Double Dragon, Super Dodge Ball, and the game I really want to get my hands on, River City Ransom. Anybody know the best place to find old NES games? Looks like eBay might be the best option.

How many of you still have your old NES and what games do you have and still play?

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

2 hours ago, iodeac said:

So the wife still has her NES as well as about 20 games all in their original boxes, with instructions, promos, etc. She also has about 70 issues of Nintendo Power. Last night we had a blast playing RC ProAm, Life Force, and Marble Madness. I would love to introduce her to some of the classics I grew up playing, like for example Double Dragon, Super Dodge Ball, and the game I really want to get my hands on, River City Ransom. Anybody know the best place to find old NES games? Looks like eBay might be the best option.

How many of you still have your old NES and what games do you have and still play?

If you're in Austin, stop into Game Over Videogames:

https://gameovervideogames.com/collections/nintendo-entertainment-system-games

Half-Price occasionally has NES stuff (and older).

This thread reminds me that I need to finally finish selling off my old stuff that's not NES or Intellivision, or duplicates of my Atari collection.

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, iodeac said:

Back in the early 2000s I got nostalgic for my old NES (Sold it in a garage sale stupidly when I was young).  Started going around to garage sales, flea markets, and occasionally Ebay.  I started off just hunting for games I used to have and once rented, then it turned into a full on collection.  I'm sitting on 600+ unique carts now with another 150ish to go to complete the collection.  I kind of quit collecting once kids came around, just didn't have the budget for it now...and unfortunately a lot of NES stuff has really increased in value in the last 10-15 years.

If you're looking for a deal, flea markets and garage sales are going to be your best bet, although these days you're probably unlikely to find NES games at a garage sale unless you see them listed in a newspaper ad or something.  Flea markets still sell NES games, just keep in mind that as online auctions got more and more popular 15-20 years ago people started getting more and more knowledgeable on what certain games were really worth on the market.  It was always fun when you found a truly rare game sitting in someone's box of junk with a $5 price tag, harder to get those gems now even at a less than ridiculous price.

Super Dodge Ball and River City Ransom are definitely great two player games.  Mario 3, Contra, TMNT II, Super Tecmo Bowl, Tengen Tetris (Harder to find, better than Nintendo's version), Dr. Mario, Rampage, Base Wars, and Battletoads (Very tough though) are all other options.  Most of those will be easier to find too, aside from Tengen Tetris, but you can always get the original too.  

It's a one player game, but Fire and Ice is a fun little game that everyone can enjoy.  It's a puzzle game that my wife really enjoyed back in the day, and I'd help her when she got stuck.  Unfortunately it looks like it goes for stupid money on Ebay now, you used to be able to get it for about $20 in the mid 2000s.  Maybe just get a ROM of that one unless you get lucky and find it cheap.

15 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Couple friends actually bought River City Ransom on Steam and have been playing internet multiplayer. We're sort of stuck and might need to ask you for help, can't figure out how to progress the story from where we are.

River City Ransom: Underground on Steam?  I got it about a year ago but haven't played it much since I beat it.  Great game though, love how it picked up where the first game left off.  If you tell me where you're at I may be able to help.

4 hours ago, iodeac said:

4 hours ago, iodeac said:

Someone ganked my chubby cherub and marble madness games, I would love to play those again. Marble madness is so hard. 

Still have mine and a small stash of my favorite games... Legend of Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, RBI 2, TMNT, Mario 1-3, Contra, MegaMan 1-4, Castlevania series, and a few others.

What we use now is one of those mini-Nintendo systems we grabbed at a mall kiosk this Christmas for $40 and it has 500+ games on it.  Pretty much everything in the NES catalogue. 

Edited by BlueGreySky