I'm sick of these mother fucking scorpions on this mother fucking house

Just moved out to a three acre property in New Braunfels. It's rocky with tons of trees and brush. It's a great piece of Texas land, but I've got a shit ton of scorpions. I mean a shit ton. First day here I got stung on the bottom of my foot (my fault for being barefoot). Killed 4-5 just on the stucco off of the porch that night. Last night I went out with a black light and some weapons and killed at least 20 just on the back side of the house.

Trying to figure out my best bets to control them a bit. It's Texas and they live here, which is fine. I'd at least like to try to clear the ~0.5 acre fenced yard as much as possible so that my toddler can play out there without getting stung. Ideas? I'd like to avoid putting poison in the yard if possible, but open to it if necessary. I've heard chickens work, and the neighborhood is actually voting in September whether or not to allow chickens, so I'm hoping that passes so I can throw a few in the yard (6 foot fences, so should be good). 

To add, the lot next to ours has a house being built on it right now, which I read pushes a lot of scorpions and spiders into neighboring yards. I'm hoping that's why I have so many, and it will go away, but I don't think that alone explains the Chinese-army level of scorpion numbers out here.

Any thoughts? 

Meantime I'll keep going out with the blacklight and going Rambo on that ass. So far the Terro Scorpion spray is the most fun, but the grip end of my 56 degree wedge is the fastest and most effective.

I ordered one of these off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-Propane-Outdoor-Ergonomic-Igniting/dp/B074JJRHF6 - will report back with pics and maybe some videos.

Here's a picture of a few of these mofos. Glowy black light before and after sand wedge pics, and a big sucker that I saw up on the stucco wall.

20200821_223027.jpg

20200826_213745.jpg

20200826_215755.jpg

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, Hate said:

You need to get Black Out drunk.  It won't help, but at least you got drunk.

Just got back from about a 20 minute scorpion hunt with a bourbon in hand. Working on it. 

Quite a bit fewer tonight after last night's scorpion holocaust. Maybe it's a battle I can win. Where there's a will and enough whiskey..

That is what I was referencing.  But you either had to really like the Scorpions in the early 80's or be from San Antonio to truly get that.  Anyway, keep up updated and I'm drinking bourbon and smoking KB along with you.  I have friends that had the same issue when they moved to NB, but it eventually settled down for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

That is what I was referencing.  But you either had to really like the Scorpions in the early 80's or be from San Antonio to truly get that.  Anyway, keep up updated and I'm drinking bourbon and smoking KB along with you.  I have friends that had the same issue when they moved to NB, but it eventually settled down for them. 

Before my time a bit.

You talking about the friend that lives in the hood we discussed? If so, that's where we ended up. Love it out here.

I'm hoping it's largely because of the new construction on the lot next to ours and will die down a bit once it's built. Then I can send them all of their scorpions back when we build our pool later this year.

Edited by BradInATX

Yeah.  That's the place.  Once the construction is complete, it should settle down a bit for you.  They will always be there though.  You might even see a centipede or two before too long.  You might want to go ahead and let the wife know.  Honestly, I'd get a pest control company to come once a quarter and make sure you are there when the "tech"gets there.  Have him nuke the area when he comes (most likely 4 times a year) and you will probably see them go away soon.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah.  That's the place.  Once the construction is complete, it should settle down a bit for you.  They will always be there though.  You might even see a centipede or two before too long.  You might want to go ahead and let the wife know.  Honestly, I'd get a pest control company to come once a quarter and make sure you are there when the "tech"gets there.  Have him nuke the area when he comes (most likely 4 times a year) and you will probably see them go away soon.

Already saw about an 8 inch centipede on the back deck. One of the black ones with red legs. He was pretty badass, wife was not as impressed. I brushed him off the deck back into the yard because centipedes are bros. Scorpions can EABOD, though.

Hoping it doesn't come down to chemicals, but it probably will.

Already saw about an 8 inch centipede on the back deck. One of the black ones with red legs. He was pretty badass, wife was not as impressed. I brushed him off the deck back into the yard because centipedes are bros. Scorpions can EABOD, though.
Hoping it doesn't come down to chemicals, but it probably will.

You talking red headed centipede? I would rather get stung by 10 scorpions than one of those motherfuckers. One of the most painful stings in the world.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You talking red headed centipede? I would rather get stung by 10 scorpions than one of those motherfuckers. One of the most painful stings in the world.

Yeah, black body, reddish legs, reddish head. Maybe orange legs/head. Dunno. I've only seen that species before, so it's whatever the Central Texas one is. 

I didn't even realize they stung. I thought it was sort of a Coral Snake thing where they sometimes try to get you but rarely do even when they try. Always treated them as ugly but harmless.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and should get into the scorpion game

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIVE-FIELD-COLLECTED-FEEDER-Arizona-Bark-Scorpion-Centruroides-sculpturatus/264806942983?hash=item3da7b94907:g:lQ4AAOSw9dFfG3Ma

I've squashed about $600 worth of scorpions at that price.

Edited by BradInATX

I don’t even have to click on that to know what it is. I love showing that video to central Texas housewives when they find a centipede in or around their bourses.

A friend of a friend got stung on his thumb. My buddy said his hand was fucked up for nearly two months.

EDIT:

I did click on it. I was expecting coyote Peterson getting bit. But that was good haha.

Back when I was in grad school, there was this professor emeritis at Brackenridge Field Lab who kept a red headed centipede as a pet. He would take it out of its cage and let it crawl on him, up his shirt sleeves, around his neck. Fucking thing was close to a foot long. He had it for over ten years, he claimed.

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Back when I was in grad school, there was this professor emeritis at Brackenridge Field Lab who kept a red headed centipede as a pet. He would take it out of its cage and let it crawl on him, up his shirt sleeves, around his neck. Fucking thing was close to a foot long. He had it for over ten years, he claimed.

No Way Randy GIF by Zack Kantor

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve got a 2 and 5 year old. We moved into our new house in July and promptly cleared the lot of all the cedar (because fuck cedar, that’s why) and that pushed a few scorpions into the house. We couldn’t get the bug guy out here fast enough. Poison FtW. No need for black lights, just good old fashioned Dale’s Dead Bug type of chemical warfare. 

Sticky traps - the flat ones - are easily the best. Bonus, you grab a lot of other bugs, even mice you never knew you had.

No chemicals. But for the curious 2 year old types, that's a headache unless you put it in a somewhat unreachable spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 8/27/2020 at 9:16 PM, Errestaurants said:

CY-KICK CS off Amazon

That right there. It is the same shit the exterminators use.

Spray it around the foundation, garage doors, and all entrances to your house. Any bug walking across it will die. Plus spray the eaves to discourage wasps from building nests, and around the A/C compressor base outside to keep fire ants from f’ing it up (they are attracted by electrical fields apparently).

Re-spray at least every 2-3 months spring through fall.

Don’t let your dogs or kids lick it up before it dries after a few hours. Cats are at their own risk.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

As much fun as I've had going with traditional warfare for this one, wife saw two in the house today including one she almost stepped on, so I'm going with chemical weaponry. Just ordered the cy-kick. Kinda sucks because we get these bad ass 3-4 inch long walking sticks on the house and I like the big ol hill country grasshoppers too. But I gotta get rid of these scorpions, even if it means collateral damage. I have a standard filtered respirator type mask that I've used for a couple of projects, assume that's adequate to spray this stuff?

Edited by BradInATX

40 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

As much fun as I've had going with traditional warfare for this one, wife saw two in the house today including one she almost stepped on, so I'm going with chemical weaponry. Just ordered the cy-kick. Kinda sucks because we get these bad ass 3-4 inch long walking sticks on the house and I like the big ol hill country grasshoppers too. But I gotta get rid of these scorpions, even if it means collateral damage. I have a standard filtered respirator type mask that I've used for a couple of projects, assume that's adequate to spray this stuff?

You don't need to wear anything. What's the worst that can happen? 

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 9:16 PM, Errestaurants said:

CY-KICK CS off Amazon

On 9/3/2020 at 3:38 PM, Armybrat said:

That right there. It is the same shit the exterminators use.

Spray it around the foundation, garage doors, and all entrances to your house. Any bug walking across it will die. Plus spray the eaves to discourage wasps from building nests, and around the A/C compressor base outside to keep fire ants from f’ing it up (they are attracted by electrical fields apparently).

Re-spray at least every 2-3 months spring through fall.

Don’t let your dogs or kids lick it up before it dries after a few hours. Cats are at their own risk.

+Rep, this did the trick. Did exactly your method, Brat. I didn't get the AC because it was running at the time, but basically made a loop around the house along the foundation, driveway along garage doors, etc. First day I found 4 dead ones on the back patio. Haven't seen one on the back patio, on the house, or in the house since. Good recommendation here. 

Downside is it's killing the grasshoppers and the beetles, but the collateral damage is worth it, can't have my wife and kid getting stung by scorpions inside the house. Lizards and daddy longlegs seem to be the only things that are built to survive it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...

'Tis the season.

Finding 1 approx. every 3 days, had a couple of days with 2 found.

Got a black light flashlight around 1½ months ago, haven't walked the house after dark & used it but that's on my radar. The orange Tabby & Corgi have been our best resource for alerts here inside the house.

Bag in pic was my closest available anything for scale / size comparison. I think my Jug 'o Scorps is maybe 5% full with carcasses.

Also, related: the pill bug invasion is also starting again.c58920aacadfd33a328be3caa7027eb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Diatomaceous earth is an option if you don't want to use chemicals. I'm not sure how well it works, and probably not well in a yard, but for protecting entry points the house it might help. Will also help with any insect with an exoskeleton, and safe around kids and pets. 

I used to use Cy-Kick but got much better results with Demand CS, it's the titties: https://www.domyown.com/demand-cs-p-46.htm

They say to apply every 3 months. Sometimes I'm too lazy to spray and 8 months or so in, I've had scorpions squeeze their way under the door weatherstripping and promptly die a foot away. 

One 8oz bottle should last for 4-5 years. I splurged and got a B&G sprayer with a 24" extension so it's easier to spray. The main benefit of the high quality sprayers is they don't drip when you're not spraying and you get a more fine stream that doesn't soak the baseboards/walls. 

What's nice is you mostly spray the exterior foundation/perimeter of the house. Then you just hit the baseboards in the corners and apply more to areas like doorways and bathrooms. In 6 years, I haven't had even one cockroach make it more than a few feet into the house before dying. And even then it's been years since I've found one inside at all. 

It's a god damn war, and I ain't fucking around with some natural shit. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate