Dallas | Special secret back room dinners

Landomatic

Based on what I’ve heard about revolver taco, I assume this must be amazing.  Anyone tried it yet?

http://www.purepecharoom.com/

I have a reservation in a few weeks.  High hopes.  I’ll definitly report back.

Any other meals like this anyone has tried that I need to put on the list to try?

Edited by Landomatic

43 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Based on what I’ve heard about revolver taco, I assume this must be amazing.  Anyone tried it yet?

http://www.purepecharoom.com/

I have a reservation in a few weeks.  High hopes.  I’ll definitly report back.

Any other meals like this anyone has tried that I need to put on the list to try?

Need a couple more? 😁

I have Purepecha on my list and plan on taking out of town guests there in August. I am looking forward to your report.

We did Frank Underground a while back.  I posted about it on the old board.  It was a fun night, but overpriced for the food.  And I don't know how they get away with the "we are not a restaurant and, therefore, not subject to any sort of law or city code that regulates or addresses physical safety, food safety, sales tax, alcohol sales or restaurants generally".

Zen Sushi in Bishop Arts is a fine, local sushi place.  Our go to.  The chef, Michele Carpenter (D mag profile: Sushi Chef Carpenter) does an omakase with a few days' notice.  It's not actually backroom. It's a special booth section of the sushi bar.  We did it once.  It was extraordinary.  She had a fish flown in that day from Japan for us.  She used Japanese and French techniques to create a 10+ course meal that blew us away.  It's not secret, but looking at the restaurant, you would not think that such a thing happens there and you have to plan in advance.  It's for 4 people.

5 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Zen Sushi in Bishop Arts is a fine, local sushi place.  Our go to.  The chef, Michele Carpenter (D mag profile: Sushi Chef Carpenter) does an omakase with a few days' notice.  It's not actually backroom. It's a special booth section of the sushi bar.  We did it once.  It was extraordinary.  She had a fish flown in that day from Japan for us.  She used Japanese and French techniques to create a 10+ course meal that blew us away.  It's not secret, but looking at the restaurant, you would not think that such a thing happens there and you have to plan in advance.  It's for 4 people.

Do you remember the cost?

Edit: The interweb is your friend:

"OMAKASE:

Chef’s Tasting. Requires 24-48 hours notice. Minimum 4 people. 120 / person. Michelle will personally shop for and design a menu based on your preferences and the freshest produce available. At the Chef’s Table, you watch and enjoy a culinary performance entirely executed by our Executive Chef and Founder. Prepare to be amazed.
Wine or sake pairings available for an additional fee."

Edited by Spoosner

• 1 month later...

X-Post...I have a Saturday June 9th back room reservation for 4 at Revolver Taco if anyone wants it.  Turns out I’ll be in Vegas that night and @C-Man can’t use it either.  It was a hard reservation to get (been sitting on it for like a month) and before I just cancel it, thought I’d offer it up to one of you surly bastards.  PM me if interested

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Sadly had a last minute work trip come up. Anybody want a Purapecha reservation for 2 at 6 pm tomorrow, 7/12?

I plan To call at 2 today to cancel if I don’t have a taker. 

I just checked open table and it looks like they have 6:00 and 8:30 available pretty much every night now including thurs, fri and sat this week.  So you can probably just go ahead and cancel it.

Did something happen that’s made that reservation so much easier to get now?  I remember it being several weeks out the last time I tried.  Maybe the place is slippin?  Or maybe the new has just worn off.

• 4 weeks later...

We did Purepecha on Saturday night.  Absolutely stunning.  One of the best dining experiences I have had.   The room is charming and magical and absolutely evokes childhood memories of the kitchens of grandparents or aunts.   It seats just 12.  That it's just a small door from the rock and roll atmosphere of the front room is amazing. It's a different world.  Rojas cooks (or finishes) the plates in the room and he and his mom team up to present and garnish.  Two very quiet girls serve. It's like eating with family.  He talks about the dish, its ingredients and history as each course is served.

Come hungry.  This is not a BS tasting menu.  The dishes are complex and presented like art, but the portions are generous and you will get full.  We are not shy about eating and left food.  It was $100 / pp for the food, fixed price (nothing a la carte, no options, no surcharges...avoid coming with anyone with a dietary restriction or that doesn't like this or that).   With 3 bottles of wine for our 4 top, this was a $400 / couple meal.   But, I don't regret a penny of it.

As best I remember:

Flounder ceviche with grapefruit, smoked fish eggs and orange infused olive oil

Michoacan style gazpacho of cucumber and poblano, with some great Cotija that he brought back from Mexico and edible flowers.  Beautful dish.

Octopus Al Pastor.  Amazing.

Oja Santa steamed lamb in a sauce of three chiles, served with the best tortillas for making little tacos and dipping into the sauce!

Green mole with lobster

Red mole with duck breast and excellent rice (and those tortillas)

Strip of Wagyu beef, served with a quesadilla of Menonite cheese and squash blossom

Flan (made by the mother. It was nice, but nothing special...in a way this was honest because the meals of my youth with Mexican family always ended simply with fruit or something.  Spectacular French style desserts were not part of the deal).

• Like 1