Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Quit being a gotdam yankee and make your own chile sauce that will taste 100X better than using powder:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-re-hydrate-chiles-2343043

If you think I don't know how to rehydrate fucking chiles then you haven't been paying attention to my posts for years.

In this case, when trying a new recipe, I'm going to stick to the fucking recipe, Doc.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I actually don't.  But I do know that if I line the bottom of the dish with sauce, the tortillas don't stick.

remember when you were a kid and you mixed flour and water and made paste?  that's gluten in action.  and that's what happens when you add sauce to flour tortillas.  they turn into paste.  and then they glue themselves together on the sides of the roll. 

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
On 8/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, elfenix said:

problem with flour tortillas is they glue themselves together in the baking dish

Not if you put a little bit of sauce in the dish before you lay the tortilla down, ya rube.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Quit being a gotdam yankee...

giphy.gif?resize=640,640&ssl=1&crop=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you think I don't know how to rehydrate fucking chiles then you haven't been paying attention to my posts for years.

In this case, when trying a new recipe, I'm going to stick to the fucking recipe, Doc.

chile powder : Mexican food :: Liquid smoke : barbecue

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

chile powder : Mexican food :: Liquid smoke : barbecue

Yeah....nope.

Chili powder : pureed chilis :: Knorr Swiss powdered bouillon : homemade chicken stock.

Homemade chicken stock is awesome, I highly recommend.  But you know what you will find in every mexican/tejano kitchen cabinet?  

knorr-sabor-bouillon-chicken-781676.png

And you'll find chili powder (sometimes multiple varieties) in those same kitchen cabinets.  My grandmother made a billion pots of menudo....every one of them used chili powder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Major enchilada alert. We are fixing the San Antonio school enchiladas tonight. We’ve just spent an hour debating cheeses.

We loved them. Mrs. Tailgate bought a chunk of American cheese from the deli and we shredded it at home. Leftovers were also delish day two.

31 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

We loved them. Mrs. Tailgate bought a chunk of American cheese from the deli and we shredded it at home. Leftovers were also delish day two.

I buy a large chunk of american yellow and white cheese from the HEB deli and grate them together in a ziplock to always have when it is needed.

It is great for enchiladas, nachos etc.

Will last for months.

• Hook 'Em 2

Did a small test batch of the North East ISD enchilada recipe tonight.  It was solid, but I'll probably keep on using the canned red enchilada sauce like I've always done rather than following their recipe for the enchilada sauce -- just not much difference from the canned stuff.  OTOH, the chili gravy is perfect -- I'll keep using that.  I was surprised at how well simply steaming the whole batch of corn tortillas worked -- as opposed to heating them in oil in a skillet one by one as most recipes call for.  Much simpler and faster.  Good stuff.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I buy a large chunk of american yellow and white cheese from the HEB deli and grate them together in a ziplock to always have when it is needed.

It is great for enchiladas, nachos etc.

Will last for months.

Because it's plastic. Gooey glorious plastic.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, Anastasis said:

That, and then dip the tamale in ranch sauce to achieve nirvana. 

Let me see if I am conceptualizing this correctly. 

A tamale in chili con carne covered with bacon flavored Ez-Cheeze, then dipped in ranch dressing sauce?

Holy crap. You may have just created the world's most perfect food.

It's like how they say if you give a million monkeys a million typewriters they will eventually type the works of Shakespeare.  I knew if we just keep posting and posting on Shaggy/Surly that one day somebody would randomly post something that, haphazardly, benefits all of mankind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:31 AM, elfenix said:

it's like you have no idea how gluten works.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:32 AM, Beau Vine said:

I actually don't.  But I do know that if I line the bottom of the dish with sauce, the tortillas don't stick.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, elfenix said:

remember when you were a kid and you mixed flour and water and made paste?  that's gluten in action.  and that's what happens when you add sauce to flour tortillas.  they turn into paste.  and then they glue themselves together on the sides of the roll. 

I get what you're trying to claim, but it just doesn't seem to work that way for me.  As I mentioned upthread, I've just never had a problem with it.  The sauce makes it slippery, not pasty.  So, maybe it's you who doesn't know how gluten works?

5 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This might come as a shock to you but almost all cheeses that you can buy are "processed".

By definition, yes. But American cheese takes that a few steps further. Hence its ungodly meltability and shelf life. No it is not actually plastic I am aware.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

By definition, yes. But American cheese takes that a few steps further. Hence its ungodly meltability and shelf life. No it is not actually plastic I am aware.

Actually, though, processed cheese can be considered a polymer. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0963996918301121

Therefore, it is, in fact, a "plastic."

"Real cheese" can also be considered a polymer (long chains of fatty acids), and is also, therefore, "plastic."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I get what you're trying to claim, but it just doesn't seem to work that way for me.  As I mentioned upthread, I've just never had a problem with it.  The sauce makes it slippery, not pasty.  So, maybe it's you who doesn't know how gluten works?

maybe i'm the only one who makes enough enchiladas to eat them the next day and the day after that.

43 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

if you're using flour tortillas you're not making enchiladas. you're making burritos. they may be delicious, but they're not enchiladas. 

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So much this. Burrito covered in gravy and cheese, but not an enchilada. 

Except burritos aren’t served that way any place I’ve ever been.  They generally have rice and beans in them and/or are covered in lettuce and are bigger.  So, it really is enchiladas with flour tortillas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Except burritos aren’t served that way any place I’ve ever been.  They generally have rice and beans in them and/or are covered in lettuce and are bigger.

What the fuck kind of burritos are you eating? This:?
These Clean Eating Lettuce Wrapped Burritos are Perfect For Weight Loss  Goals! | Clean Food Crush

So, it really is enchiladas with flour tortillas.

Wrong Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Except burritos aren’t served that way any place I’ve ever been.  They generally have rice and beans in them and/or are covered in lettuce and are bigger.

WTF.  Just google smothered burrito and that is what you flour tortilla heathens are making. 

Edited by Anastasis