Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

this thread fucking rocks

As someone who grew up in dallas before moving to the PNW at 12 years old..... fuck man I haven't wanted a cheese enchilada so bad in decades. When I visit I always go for verde chicken enchiladas, been a while since I had anything like these. And the bickering among everyone is a great sign of how much these slam lol. 

before trying these out, I'm inclined to think a mix of cheddar and american works well...... either american filling and cheddar topping, or mix of both for each. 

IF you want Tex Mex then you want American cheese.  The reason a lot of recipes use cheddar is to be honest the lack of availability of American cheese.  You can find Velveeta, but American you can grate yourself is sort of hard to fins outside of Texas, believe it or not.  

But if you cannot find the real deal, go with cheddar.

DAMN.  That's a seriously on-point recipe.  Want TexMex cheese enchiladas with beef gravy?  Follow the video.

I'm no food photographer, nor a food stager, but that was outstanding.  I think it's the flour -- the "roux" approach really smooths out both the sauce and the gravy.  

2020-09-06-19-36-48

2020-09-06-19-32-26

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 10:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

DAMN.  That's a seriously on-point recipe.  Want TexMex cheese enchiladas with beef gravy?  Follow the video.

I'm no food photographer, nor a food stager, but that was outstanding.  I think it's the flour -- the "roux" approach really smooths out both the sauce and the gravy.  

2020-09-06-19-36-48

2020-09-06-19-32-26

Those look fucking awesome. But I would consider putting some gravy down in the bottom on the pan, than smothering the rolled enchiladas with more gravy, and then topping with cheese. This looks like you got your beans above your franks for something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Those look fucking awesome. But I would consider putting some gravy down in the bottom on the pan, than smothering the rolled enchiladas with more gravy, and then topping with cheese. This looks like you got your beans above your franks for something.  

Those aren't beans, those are diced tomatoes.  (Assuming this is more than a beans above the franks movie quote.)  I greased the pan with butter, gravied up the rolled 'ladas, topped with cheese, baked, and then topped with beef chili.  The tomatoes are part of the chili.  (NO it's not Texas Red, which has no tomatoes.)

Addendum:  I should have thought to do fresh onions like yours.  Fuck, I knew I forgot something.  I love fresh onions on beefy cheesey enchiladas.  That's my father-in-law's move, and he always tells the table how he can't really handle fresh onions, and that he'll be farting like crazy in an hour, and yep.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2020 at 1:17 PM, irishtexan said:

if you're using flour tortillas you're not making enchiladas. you're making burritos. they may be delicious, but they're not enchiladas. 

I assume this is like making chili (NO FUCKING BEANS) vs delicious stew (chili with beans)

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those aren't beans, those are diced tomatoes.  (Assuming this is more than a beans above the franks movie quote.)  I greased the pan with butter, gravied up the rolled 'ladas, topped with cheese, baked, and then topped with beef chili.  The tomatoes are part of the chili.  (NO it's not Texas Red, which has no tomatoes.)

Addendum:  I should have thought to do fresh onions like yours.  Fuck, I knew I forgot something.  I love fresh onions on beefy cheesey enchiladas.  That's my father-in-law's move, and he always tells the table how he can't really handle fresh onions, and that he'll be farting like crazy in an hour, and yep.

Mine had diced tomatoes in the chili gravy and turned out looking like yours, as well.  I was a tad concerned with appearances, too.  Turned out to be no big deal as the ravenous hordes decended upon the enchiladas and crushed them in short order.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So question how they make these in restaurant setting.  Are they cooking them in a salamander (or whatever they call those things) on the plates at time of service?  

almost certainly.   if they were being pulled out of a pan the cheese woulnd't have that nice melt pattern under the pool of refritos and pile of rice. 

Edited by elfenix

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

You have 5 minutes to post that recipe.  Make haste sir

I didn’t make this one - I was in Mexico for the last week.  as much as I love classic Tex-Mex enchiladas, these are the best I’ve ever had - ordered them two days in a row.  If I had this recipe, I would probably never eat out again.  and I’d be super fat.

• Hook 'Em 2

My only real criticism, based on the imagery alone, is that there are only two and not three enchi's on the plate. 

Sometime in the past few years, I crossed everything rubicon: I am okay with an order of 2 enchiladas, and don’t insist on 3 (at least when it’s a meal, with rice and beans). When it’s enchiladas only....I still like 3.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

some non-Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas:

spacer.png

blue corn and oaxacan cheese enchiladas in jalapeno cream sauce

Wow.  Do you need a GM?

EDIT:  well hell, I thought you cooked those.  Still, the radish is a great touch.  I'm copying that.  (If I can find some radishes.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

51 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I didn’t make this one - I was in Mexico for the last week.  as much as I love classic Tex-Mex enchiladas, these are the best I’ve ever had - ordered them two days in a row.  If I had this recipe, I would probably never eat out again.  and I’d be super fat.

we've all seen you cook. as you're not super fat, and your girl isn't super fat, the only explanation is that your dog is waiting patiently because she knows she's getting at least half of whatever is on display. 

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, Anastasis said:

So question how they make these in restaurant setting.  Are they cooking them in a salamander (or whatever they call those things) on the plates at time of service?  

Yes. Typically pre rolled then sauced and topped with the cheese and popped in the Salamander/Broiler. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never had the Dart Bowl cheese enchiladas, but growing up in Wichita Falls we had the equivalent at Pioneer No. 3.   Great greasy cheese enchiladas probably American cheese, chili gravy, served with French fries also covered with the gravy, with a side of Cole slaw.  Had it probably 100 times as a kid/teen, so that’s where I start from when I think of cheese enchiladas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...

I made the NEISD enchiladas today and they were fantastic. 

I threw them together with what I had on hand and didn't have enough cheese for more than about 10 so I stuffed the rest with the enchilada chili and they turned out good too but not as good as the cheese. 

I'm placing about 6 bags of cheese to make a fuck ton more.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, though, processed cheese can be considered a polymer. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0963996918301121

Therefore, it is, in fact, a "plastic."

"Real cheese" can also be considered a polymer (long chains of fatty acids), and is also, therefore, "plastic."

tenor.gif?itemid=4712522

If you have no other options, the Old El Paso green sauce is better than the red IMO. It makes pretty decent chicken enchiladas. In fact, the recipe on the can is whack (calls for cream cheese), but shit is pretty good yo.

Made the Homesick Texan recipe posted above a few weeks ago. It was very, very good.