Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

On 10/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, Landomatic said:

Let's say I had a lazy friend who was feeling lazy but wanted to make enchiladas and was pretty sure that Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce wasn't the answer, what would you tell him to use for a canned/jarred sauce?  Asking for a friend.

815WpAbYEkL._SL1500_.jpg

This stuff is better than Old El Paso 

image.thumb.jpeg.ecea7ed2730d559b2f961a31e4defaa4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.820aa97c5e20f02bc4d3c93c4f1f2120.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ebabf6c246a35d1168678edf8e651353.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Any recommendations on where in Houston to buy pork fat for making lard?

I don’t know where you are but I bet Pete’s Fine Meats would have it. Probably any Mexican butcher also. Grocery stores like HEB don’t cut their own pork so probably a no go

On 10/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, Orange&White said:

With Dart Bowl gone, I'll nominate the "Enchiladas Perfecto" at Maudie's as the closest/best substitute. 

I can't recall making any enchiladas at home in all of my 48 years, but I might need to take a stab at it.

Rumor is Dart Bowl enchiladas will be making a comeback. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 9:26 PM, Post Oak said:

I made the NEISD enchiladas today and they were fantastic. 

I threw them together with what I had on hand and didn't have enough cheese for more than about 10 so I stuffed the rest with the enchilada chili and they turned out good too but not as good as the cheese. 

I'm placing about 6 bags of cheese to make a fuck ton more.

Remade them again today.  Didn't bother with the enchilada chili.  The enchilada sauce is awesome.  Just topped it with onions and pickled jalapenos.  

I made 30 enchiladas and i've got 20 left.  Gonna be a good week boys.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just made my first Tex-Mex gravy tonight.  Got it from a recipe that suggested a dash of cinnamon at the end.  I'm tellin' ya, that gravy took my Gringo enchiladas to next level status.  I don't know what the level above Gringo is, but it's better.  Try that small cinnamon addition to the gravy, folks.

0adcc82ae8df5e5f78c8f315eb608812.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I just made my first Tex-Mex gravy tonight.  Got it from a recipe that suggested a dash of cinnamon at the end.  I'm tellin' ya, that gravy took my Gringo enchiladas to next level status.  I don't know what the level above Gringo is, but it's better.  Try that small cinnamon addition to the gravy, folks.

0adcc82ae8df5e5f78c8f315eb608812.jpg

Excellent presentation. I’d fuck that up.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That SA ISD deal is a great recipe.  I did that recipe for a big feed for the guys out at my deer lease.  The only deviation was to add chopped onion and japs to the mix -- I knew my audience!

Yeah, that went on at the end for me. Fine diced white onion and jalapeno rings on top. Some people like to soak the onion in white vinegar...

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if I’ve missed it via searching but is there a proven Dart Bowl (RIP) true cheese enchilada recipe? My birthday is coming up and my wife said she’d make me any dish I want. Thinking I want to recreate a favorite dish I can’t otherwise get these days (and will likely add the fried egg even).

TIA

16 hours ago, mdleast said:

Forgive me if I’ve missed it via searching but is there a proven Dart Bowl (RIP) true cheese enchilada recipe? My birthday is coming up and my wife said she’d make me any dish I want. Thinking I want to recreate a favorite dish I can’t otherwise get these days (and will likely add the fried egg even).

TIA

Well damittall!!  Haven't been to Dart Bowl since the opener in 2019 and am sad to hear of it's demise.  Good luck on perfecting that out of this world enchilada recipe.

• 6 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

cant really go wrong with Homesick Texan. Adapted from Robb Walsh’s recipe in “The Tex Mex Cookbook”

I finally got around to trying this recipe - sorry no pics.  I thought it was fantastic and pretty easy.  I used 16 oz of grated American cheese and about 5 oz of mild Cheddar. I had no melting issue, just cheesy goodness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Tigersnake said:

Made this recipe last week. Check out his book for other recipes. The gravy using dried anchos instead of the powder made a world of difference.  https://www.expressnews.com/food/recipes-cooking/article/Recipe-Tex-Mex-Style-Ancho-Chile-Gravy-Enchiladas-15554025.php

Those don't look like cheese enchiladas.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, Focht Up said:

I finally got around to trying this recipe - sorry no pics.  I thought it was fantastic and pretty easy.  I used 16 oz of grated American cheese and about 5 oz of mild Cheddar. I had no melting issue, just cheesy goodness. 

Next time just buy this from H‑E‑B and thank me later:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-50-50-cheese-blend-shredded/2193922

Edited by hornian

Next time just buy this from H‑E‑B and thank me later:
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-50-50-cheese-blend-shredded/2193922

It’s still coated with corn starch to keep the shreds from clumping. Buy the H‑E‑B block
of American and shred yourself. I prefer to mix with sharp cheddar instead of mild.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s still coated with corn starch to keep the shreds from clumping. Buy the H‑E‑B block
of American and shred yourself. I prefer to mix with sharp cheddar instead of mild.

These work great.  https://www.amazon.com/KEOUKE-Vegetable-Cheese-Grater-Slicer/dp/B07TRK2T61/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2SNGBJY0Q6UNV&dchild=1&keywords=cheese+grater&qid=1629644109&sprefix=chees%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-6

On 10/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, Landomatic said:

Let's say I had a lazy friend who was feeling lazy but wanted to make enchiladas and was pretty sure that Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce wasn't the answer, what would you tell him to use for a canned/jarred sauce?  Asking for a friend.

815WpAbYEkL._SL1500_.jpg

The HFC red enchilada sauce sold at HEB is pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I hand cut cheese with an Damascus steel machete forged outside of Hermosillo by 8th generation Japanese immigrant blade makers. But only the craftsmen committed to fair trade and a living wage.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Did a small test batch of the North East ISD enchilada recipe tonight.  It was solid, but I'll probably keep on using the canned red enchilada sauce like I've always done rather than following their recipe for the enchilada sauce -- just not much difference from the canned stuff.  OTOH, the chili gravy is perfect -- I'll keep using that.  I was surprised at how well simply steaming the whole batch of corn tortillas worked -- as opposed to heating them in oil in a skillet one by one as most recipes call for.  Much simpler and faster.  Good stuff.

I missed the pointer on how to steam the whole batch of tortillas.  Please elaborate.  Mine keep breaking.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Take a stack of corn tortillas, wrap in a wet paper towel and nuke them. I usually do it in batches of 10 or so. 

I’ve seen Rick Bayless recommend that method on his cooking show. 40-45 seconds at full power. Easy peasy. (Great show, btw.) Coincidentally, I saw an episode of Simply Ming last night where he was the guest chef. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, tigol said:

How hard is it to clean?  I usually use our food processor to grate larger amounts of cheese, but it's a pain to clean.

I liked this photo on that page where "potato" got spelled "photo" . . . twice . . . and there are three different foods labeled "radish".   I think I know where the seller is located.

image.png.5e493846843d301bf61e80e31c0bfa2b.png

• Haha 1

How hard is it to clean?  I usually use our food processor to grate larger amounts of cheese, but it's a pain to clean.
I liked this photo on that page where "potato" got spelled "photo" . . . twice . . . and there are three different foods labeled "radish".   I think I know where the seller is located.
image.png.5e493846843d301bf61e80e31c0bfa2b.png

I only use the course blade and only grate cheese. It’s easy to clean. Just rinse the blade and plastic housing and throw it in the dishwasher. Store the hand crank and base.

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t think we know what Skip is really like. he plays a role, and plays it well. 

I don't really give a shit what he's like in person, it's not like I'll ever be inviting him over for Thanksgiving dinner.

On TV, he says stupid things, and is a dickface.  That's really all that needs to be said.

• Hook 'Em 1