Power outage,generator, no cable/internet

kmac30

I believe some internet providers have emergency power to their equipment. Or they're powered by different lines. I've seen power outages in my area of Houston in the past but I can get online with Xfinity when I connect up my generator to my modem and router.  

Of course the other scenarios also occur: no internet when my power is on, or both go out. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe some internet providers have emergency power to their equipment. Or they're powered by different lines. I've seen power outages in my area of Houston in the past but I can get online with Xfinity when I connect up my generator to my modem and router.  

Of course the other scenarios also occur: no internet when my power is on, or both go out. 

yeah, we had power out at our house for 3 days straight.  whole neighborhoods were out, but when i hooked up the genny, internet and tv worked.  Had uverse fiber

I've heard that when the power goes out in your neighborhood in the middle of summer, you should turn off your a/c unit. Reason - when it comes back on, all the a/c units kicking on at once can cause some kind of drain that can fuck up your unit's compressor?

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

My provider for TV and internet is Cox.  

There's a box across the street.  It's got a gas meter hooked to it, just like the house does.  Occasionally, the generator can be heard running, and it's fairly random.   A few weeks back, the generator had been running a few days, annoying the shit out of the closest neighbor.  A crew came out and were working on the box .  Neighbor, being a nosy fuck, goes over to ask them what was up. They told him that the box has batteries inside, and that someone had stolen them.