Grad Transfer WR Brenden Schooler

texifornia

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Was reading through the game thread and it's hilarious how much of the Football board had no idea who Schooler was

I am that guy.   I don’t keep up with the off season comings and goings.  Had no clue on Schooler and Black.  Good to see the team has attracted some transfer players that contribute.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh, definitely. I want to say something like 2011 (maybe?). Probably when Colt was the qb in 2009, if we're being honest. I woke up still feeling great. 

Yeah. When the main thing to bitch about is your kicker missing a 40 yarder in a 56 point blowout your team is in a good place.

19 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I honestly didn't think we would see him on anything other than special teams. Herman is serious about winning. Yurich is a fucking God send. When was the last time we curb stomped even a shit team like UTEP 59-3? 

18 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Before Charlie Strong it feels like

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400934504

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I totally forgot we played them lol. But in all seriousness, this team just feels different. I'm not saying we're going to have an LSU type run, but I get the feeling we're going to be a force to be reckoned with. We aren't losing to ou, that's for sure. I just hope we don't have a Herman special of losing to a team we should curb stomp. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 10:54 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

I honestly didn't think we would see him on anything other than special teams. Herman is serious about winning. Yurich is a fucking God send. When was the last time we curb stomped even a shit team like UTEP 59-3? 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:58 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh, definitely. I want to say something like 2011 (maybe?). Probably when Colt was the qb in 2009, if we're being honest. I woke up still feeling great. 

I'll write it again, it was so nice to get through an entire game against a cupcake without clenching. 

In addition to the Maryland horrors (sorry to bring it up, neg away) every game was a shit fight whether we were playing USC or Kansas. The pattern against the lesser teams was show up, score easily maybe twice. After that, struggle to keep the OL from holding or missing blocks. The other team hits some big plays and gets excited. They close to within a single score by halftime.

Second half is about the same, so we win by 10-13 points, and I feel empty and exhausted. 

I hate that shit. I want to cruise in the first half and see the reserves getting reps in the second half when we play the weak. You can judge how close all of our games have been by how little we've seen of any QB other than Sam the last three years.

I hope this becomes a trend. I love Schooler and Money. Schooler is a rich man's Breckyn Hager.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/13/2020 at 9:00 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Ddue, for sure. I couldn't believe that. It was a head scratcher 

Not really.  Dicker has had multiple doinks of make-able kicks in both of his first two seasons and now in the first game this season.  That's his big problem -- consistency.  

His forte is nailing pressure kicks.  If he can tighten up his inconsistencies (particularly as to his strike point), he'll be a great kicker.  Until then, he's merely a great pressure kicker.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll write it again, it was so nice to get through an entire game against a cupcake without clenching. 

In addition to the Maryland horrors (sorry to bring it up, neg away) every game was a shit fight whether we were playing USC or Kansas. The pattern against the lesser teams was show up, score easily maybe twice. After that, struggle to keep the OL from holding or missing blocks. The other team hits some big plays and gets excited. They close to within a single score by halftime.

Second half is about the same, so we win by 10-13 points, and I feel empty and exhausted. 

I hate that shit. I want to cruise in the first half and see the reserves getting reps in the second half when we play the weak. You can judge how close all of our games have been by how little we've seen of any QB other than Sam the last three years.

I hope this becomes a trend. I love Schooler and Money. Schooler is a rich man's Breckyn Hager.

The gorgeous mane gives him extra special powers and speed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Either Schooler, or Kai Money start in slot should Jake Smith sit out due to injured hamstring...

(Hopefully Jake waits another week...)

I think many of us were questioning why we would sign him. It is interesting that he may be starting the second week of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think many of us were questioning why we would sign him. It is interesting that he may be starting the second week of the season.

Schooler's versatility to play multiple WR spots, Safety, and also great on special teams made picking him up a no-brainer for 9 out of 10 Surly Experts... 😁

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Schooler's versatility to play multiple WR spots, Safety, and also great on special teams made picking him up a no-brainer for 9 out of 10 Surly Experts... 😁

Or maybe 9 out of 10 Surly experts wanted him here so they could pick up his sister.

• Hook 'Em 3

Schooler, who wore No. 81 in UT's opener but has changed his jersey to No. 14, could get his first start at Texas on the same night his younger brother, Colin, is expected to start at middle linebacker for Texas Tech after both were graduate transfers from Arizona in August.  Colin Schooler is currently the nation's active leader in tackles for loss (46) after starting three seasons at middle linebacker at Arizona. He missed Tech's season-opening win over Houston Baptist due to COVID-19. 

Former Kansas coach David Beaty told AM 1300 The Zone in Austin on Thursday he's a big fan of Brenden Schooler after seeing him in action in UT's win over UTEP.  "I'm impressed with (Brenden) Schooler," Beaty said. "He's fast, and you have to tackle him. On his 40-yard touchdown (against UTEP), he caught the ball at about 20 yards and stiff-armed a defender who was in good position to tackle him and then turned it into a big play. Receivers who are tough guys like that scare you as an opposing coach, because you have to wrap guys like him up."

Harrison initially had jersey No. 14, but his decision to opt out made it available to Schooler.

FCB

(Also HORNS may be missing a little depth for Tech game:  "Upper respiratory infections have apparently hit the Texas team a little bit this week. I’m hearing at least one Longhorns' backup in the two-deep won’t be making the trip due to illness." ) 

Edited by LTtxfan