Bitch about graduation season

GhostOfTomJoad

Anyway, our elementary school does a 5th grade promotion that sounds similar to the short and sweet version posted above.  We've been pretty involved at the school since kindergarten, and know all of the teachers and staff.  It's a nice way for the kids to say goodbye to their teachers and everyone to have some cake.  But nobody's calling names, walking a stage, or receiving a "diploma."  Thank God.

I believe the middle school does do one of those stupid 8th grade graduations though.  We're not there yet, guess I'll find out in a few years.  Ugh.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Dude. She sounds horrible.

But I'm going to go ahead and point out, that you could have avoided the absolute beating that was your conversation with your ex, if you'd just said from the beginning "I'm here."

I know you want to teach her to be a better person.  You're not going to succeed.

She is who she is, there's nothing you can do to change that, and if I were you I'd do whatever I could to minimize the amount of discussion with her in any, and every, situation.  Just my two pennies, that's about all it's worth.  But you seem like a good person, and you deserve as few words as possible exchanged with this woman.  

Goodbye, and good luck. :)

Disagree.  Now she is going to be looking over her shoulder whenever she wants to do her passive aggressive BS.  Won't stop it, but will limit it somewhat. 

Also, it  has created a paper trail if he needs it for the possible time she wants to bring attorneys back into play in order to get more money, or make his life miserable for whatever crazy reason she comes up with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Little Homesick “graduated” from the 1st grade last Thursday. Ex Mrs Homesick felt it necessary to text me from the school at 12pm:

Her- “he really wishes his Dad could be here to see this”.

Me- “According to the take home flier, it doesn’t happen until 12:30. Have you already spoken with him?” (It was my week with him, so I’m the one who dropped him off, and was picking him up).

Her- “I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I know that he’s going to want you here”.

Me- “It’s first grade graduation, if I’m not there, I’ll get to hear about it when I pick him up at 3:15”.

Her- “All I’m saying is that these are things that will impact his life down the road. He’ll remember you not being here.”

Me- “He and I talked about it this morning on the way to school. He’s cool with the fact that I probably couldn’t make it there due to work.”

Her- “Whatever. It’s already over with. I just thought you were trying harder to include yourself”.

Me: “Get off your phone, and try and find him. He’s on the other side of the auditorium. I’m the one who’s lap he’s sitting on.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way that could have been more awesome:

"And yes I will be present on the first day of school, 

and graduation. 

I'm sorry, Ms. Homesick, I am for real." 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread for the 2020 slate.

Went through the best graduation ceremony ever I have experienced here in AZ.  Virtual.  Got to pick my seat on the couch.  Air conditioned.  Shorts and flip flops.  Cooked and ate dinner.  Drank Guinness.  Highly recommended.

• Like 3

Drove by a group of about 20 girls that, I'm assuming, were graduating from Rowlett High yesterday.  They were taking turns posing for pictures in front of a giant 2020 sign in someone's front yard.  Though I could have given two shits when I graduated, because all I could think about was getting to Jester, I did kind of feel bad for them.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I graduated UT I just told them to mail me my diploma. I would have done that for high school if it had been an option

I went to a place w worthless degrees and I still have no idea where my diploma is.  I have the one for Med school - I think.  I’ve always been a salty bastard looking at what’s next.  

All that being said, I feel bad for the grads this year.  Congrats, shit will get better.  

I feel bad for them.  My last semester in high school was spent surfing, smoking weed, drinking beer, and slaying pussy.  The boys’ last semester was spent playing video games and pulling their puds.

They might have done that anyway come to think of it.

9 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Bumping this thread for the 2020 slate.

Went through the best graduation ceremony ever I have experienced here in AZ.  Virtual.  Got to pick my seat on the couch.  Air conditioned.  Shorts and flip flops.  Cooked and ate dinner.  Drank Guinness.  Highly recommended.

Nice humble brag.

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Shout out to anybody out there who is a parent of an only child graduating from Allen High School this year.  You dodged a fucking bullet, pal!

Preach!

Guest Lobo

Something you shouldn't invite anybody else to attend. 

The only one on our street graduating high school simply painted "Seniors 2020" on her parent's car, and we beep and wave to her whenever she's outside and we're turning right.  It's the greatest graduation party ever, because there isn't one and we're not expected to give her a gift. 

UT's virtual graduation last night was actually kinda cool (for what it was).  

It's been building up for weeks, but I'm genuinely surprised at how much whining and victim creation has been going on around kids missing graduation, especially high schoolers and their parents.  All the drama, you'd think the kids were getting drafted to off to Vietnam.  Yeah it stinks, but the ceremony is the same at every school every year.  Just youtube one if they're so important to you.  And yeah, you're gonna miss out on a few parties, but there'll be plenty of time to destroy brain cells next year.  I feel bad for these kids, but they need to get some perspective instead of throwing irresponsible parties right now and incessant complaining to stressed-out school administrators.  I'd rather attend a drive-by graduation than a drive-by funeral, and I know one of those is coming. 

Plus the valedictorian of your school is a cunt (I'm looking at you Karen Schmidt) and her speech was gonna suck anyway, "Principal Johnston, Teachers, Staff, Parents, Loved Ones, my Fellow Graduates...Webster's dictionary defines Commencement as "a Beginning."  And I think that's appropriate as we all begin the next chapter of our lives.  Blah, blah, blah, whothefuckcares." 

I mean, we can acknowledge that, as a society, we are a tad prone to whining and still lament the fact that kids are missing (for many) one of the best time frames of their lives'.  

As I previously mentioned, I was about as far removed from the senior year experience in high school as anyone.  I didn't go to homecoming or Prom.  I was pretty much forced to go to graduation by my mom.  That being said, I still have some pretty fond memories.  Spending a week at my aunt's house while relatives were visiting (she had a pool in her living room), giving the Hook 'Em when walking across the stage, getting money from random friends and relatives, freshman orientation at UT.  I had never even seen the campus or flown in a plane before.  

So, yeah, things could be far worse, but I do still feel bad for the kids.  For some, it's all down hill from here.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I still feed bad for them.  My point was just that 18 years old is actually a good to get perspective about the world not revolving around them.  Most kids today don't get that until many years later.  Am only speaking from my own local schools, where parents are calling and yelling at teachers/administrators about why it's bullshit they can't do an big outdoor graduation.  Kids are complaining to anyone who'll listen about how unfair this is, and then planning secret graduation parties like this dipshits caddie-corner from my backyard.  People chastised all those UT kids for coming back from mexico spring break, but these high school kids are getting a pass on stupid behavior, at least around here anyway.  

Like you, I guess part of it stems from the fact that I never saw what all the hype was surrounding graduations.  But they have to understand that too many of us have to attend Zoom funerals right now, so a graduation parade with honking horns and venmo'd cash gifts isn't nearly as bad as they're making it out to be.  

Having said that, back in the spirit of the original purpose of the thread (pre-Covid)...I figured we've saved at least 10 hours and a few hundred bucks already with these non-gradudation graduations.  My college roommate just got remarried in S.A. couple weeks ago.  It was her first one so they were still gonna do a traditional big wedding.  But they decided to just do a Zoom ceremony where we all listened in, just had his kids and all the parents in personal attendance.  Anyway, the digital invite had some funny thing on the back where you'd usually see where the couple was registered, and it was a rhyme about since they're not providing dinner, cake, and open bar...they won't accept gifts either.  I'm hoping that mentality permeates into graduation season because I'll send a much less expensive gift if there's no party.  But then again, I'm also not having to drive and sit through 3 hours of bullshit either, so maybe we should actually be more generous this season.  I used to think weddings were so long and boring, then I got old enough to have to sit through high school graduations of these massive 6A schools, holy shit it's nice to have weekends in May and June back to myself for fishing and general horseplay. 

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I graduated UT I just told them to mail me my diploma. I would have done that for high school if it had been an option

That’s the way I felt as well. I completed my degree plan with a summer farewell tour with an extra couple of courses.  So I officially finished in August after a glorious summer.  By the following May I had zero interest in attending commencement.  Now thirtyish years later, I kind of miss having had that experience.  I’m insisting my UT junior daughter (no pics) go through the ceremony so we can all have that. 

Guest Lobo
5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Corona gave us a good gift. No need to see a graduation live, ever again.

I got 8 invitations this year. And I swear I only knew one of them. Gave everyone $25 and told them good luck.

You gave a bunch of people you don't know $175 and some life advice.  I know whose gullible ass is hosting the next Surly HH when this is all over.  

But yeah, think about the time saved.  Say were gonna attend 4 of those, 2 closeby, 2 a few hours away.  Average graduation size of 250 kids, so 2.5hr ceremony.  You just saved probably 25 hours right there.  1 full day of your life given back to you by Covid-19.  And did you bother to give the virus $25 for that gesture?  No, you did not.  You selfish, selfish man.  

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Something you shouldn't invite anybody else to attend. 

The only one on our street graduating high school simply painted "Seniors 2020" on her parent's car, and we beep and wave to her whenever she's outside and we're turning right.  It's the greatest graduation party ever, because there isn't one and we're not expected to give her a gift. 

UT's virtual graduation last night was actually kinda cool (for what it was).  

It's been building up for weeks, but I'm genuinely surprised at how much whining and victim creation has been going on around kids missing graduation, especially high schoolers and their parents.  All the drama, you'd think the kids were getting drafted to off to Vietnam.  Yeah it stinks, but the ceremony is the same at every school every year.  Just youtube one if they're so important to you.  And yeah, you're gonna miss out on a few parties, but there'll be plenty of time to destroy brain cells next year.  I feel bad for these kids, but they need to get some perspective instead of throwing irresponsible parties right now and incessant complaining to stressed-out school administrators.  I'd rather attend a drive-by graduation than a drive-by funeral, and I know one of those is coming. 

Plus the valedictorian of your school is a cunt (I'm looking at you Karen Schmidt) and her speech was gonna suck anyway, "Principal Johnston, Teachers, Staff, Parents, Loved Ones, my Fellow Graduates...Webster's dictionary defines Commencement as "a Beginning."  And I think that's appropriate as we all begin the next chapter of our lives.  Blah, blah, blah, whothefuckcares." 

So a guy who thinks graduations are a stupid waste of time and no big deal doesn't get all the lamentations from folks about their kids missing out. 

There's a hot take.

Guest Lobo

I didn't say "stupid", and you can't deny they are a waste of time if it's not your kid/grandkid up there.  Lamentations are fine, they're a privilege of youth.  But there's dozens of parents calling up our school screaming about being denied and about saying "Fuck it" to the warnings and getting together in person anyway.  That's not lamenting, that's dangerous.  

Shout out to anybody out there who is a parent of an only child graduating from Allen High School this year.  You dodged a fucking bullet, pal!

This xEleventyBillion

My nephew graduated from Allen yesterday and I didn’t have to go. I guess that I wouldn’t have gone anyway since 2 nieces graduated from UT yesterday also. I didn’t have to go to any of them. Win, win, win.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but ...

Went out for some errands today.  While driving out of my neighborhood, I turned onto the main exit and saw a car up ahead that had some decorations tied around the side view mirrors and door handles.  There was a burnt orange sign hanging over the rear bumper.  I finally got close enough to read the sign and it said "Heading to Texas!" or something like that.  It seemed obvious that someone had just graduated high school and been accepted to Texas.

I happened to be wearing a Texas baseball cap and wanted to get their attention, point at the cap and give them a hook'em, but traffic didn't cooperate, so :(

I've got a son going to community college right now and we're not sure what is going to happen with the Fall semester or if it's even worth registering for classes if it's all going to be remote learning.  I can't image UT freshman facing a Covid19 limited college experience. 

That’s the way I felt as well. I completed my degree plan with a summer farewell tour with an extra couple of courses.  So I officially finished in August after a glorious summer.  By the following May I had zero interest in attending commencement.  Now thirtyish years later, I kind of miss having had that experience.  I’m insisting my UT junior daughter (no pics) go through the ceremony so we can all have that. 

I “graduated” in May of ‘02 and walked. Family came in for it. Sucked. Didn’t do commencement because I didn’t want to waste the time. I had 6 hours left. Finally finished them after I got married in 2011 (6 turned into 12 after 10 years). We went to commencement as guests. Got hammered. Watched fireworks. It was awesome. Definitely appreciated it more being older.

well, my niece wasn't much interested in the graduation ceremony anyway, she's already moved on from h.s., she was gonna do it just for us (family)...

but Anderson had an impromptu parade for the seniors yesterday morning, and she did decide to do that... and she was all smiles about it so that was nice 🙂 it was pretty cute/fun, beautiful morning and the neighborhood turned out to watch, it felt good to give the kids some cheers and encouragement.

sure, in the grand scheme of things it's really no big deal... but they're still just kids and things are pretty wack/stressed right now. god bless 'em and good luck c/o 2020!

i enjoyed throwing 🤘 to all the kids going to UT...and the two that were going to aggy 😄 

OH i did order her some announcements from Shutterfly so she could at least have some semblance of normalcy (i.e. money lol) 😊

Edited by mchookem

On 5/8/2018 at 2:53 PM, Beau Vine said:

I love going to Texas State graduation.  I get to see a lot of students I really like for maybe the last time, and there's not a whole lot of bullshit to the ceremony -- only one of the six ceremonies each semester has a speaker.  It's mainly just a song, a proclamation, read 500 or so names, sing the school song, and you're done in less than an hour.  

But my daughter graduated from HS a couple of years ago, and that was a whole new level of bullshit.  It took nearly two hours even though there were only 140 grads.  Wife went down to SA a week later to see the niece graduate from a really big HS, and she said it took nearly three hours.  

When my stepson graduated from Judson high school some years back I was ready to scream before we got out of there.  I can't remember the time frame exactly but know it ran nearly 4 hours.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:36 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

I went to a place w worthless degrees and I still have no idea where my diploma is.  I have the one for Med school - I think.  I’ve always been a salty bastard looking at what’s next.  

All that being said, I feel bad for the grads this year.  Congrats, shit will get better.  

My degree was signed by General Peter Flawn, decorated hero of The War On Mediocrity. No way I’m losing that one. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, kmac30 said:

I “graduated” in May of ‘02 and walked. Family came in for it. Sucked. Didn’t do commencement because I didn’t want to waste the time. I had 6 hours left. Finally finished them after I got married in 2011 (6 turned into 12 after 10 years). We went to commencement as guests. Got hammered. Watched fireworks. It was awesome. Definitely appreciated it more being older.

How did you graduate without graduating?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

You don’t “graduate” JrHigh.  You finish Jr High.

Exactly this. My last day of middle school/junior high was an early release day. When we were leaving the teachers told us 8th graders, "well, y'all finished middle school. Good luck next year in high school." None of that stupid middle school graduation shit. 

Edited by Longboard Horn
The idea of Jr High graduation is bullshit
  • Like 1