Bitch about graduation season

GhostOfTomJoad

Guest Lobo

I've often said, when it's your kids---whether it's preschool of PhD---blow it out.  Why not?  It's pausing to take in the moments in life that make it worthwhile.  But when you start inviting/demanding other people into your orbit---then it's a fucking beating.  My second cousin is graduating on Friday.  There's already been a "ring party" for which tabs were picked up to celebrate.  Then there's the ceremony tomorrow morning.  I'm up late tonight to get a PPM done since I'll be out of the office tomorrow morning.  Then there's the luncheon afterwards...I can't make it but I already know my wife will be expected to pick up a good chunk of the tab in my stead.  Then there's an "open house" on Saturday out at their place for which they've spent thousands of dollars on for something maybe 15-20 people will show up for (and of course, we'll be expected to bring hundred of dollars in booze and gifts).  Then there's the Sunday "mother's of graduates day" celebration which I'm now told is at my house which is really just an extension of their own weekend party.  They've assured me they'll bring leftover side dishes from their Saturday party but that I "get to be in charge of" grilling and more booze.  With gifts and travel logistics for my mother and sister and "pitching in" for myriad parties...we're probably in for well over $1000.  Complete fucking overkill.  It's your child, go nuts---blow it out.  But leave the rest of us the fuck alone.  

Guest Lobo

To be fair, it's not her (the graduate).  It's her mother.  She's kinda living vicariously through her daughter, and again-that's fine.  But she's bringing the rest of us along for the ride.  And the ride has taken up 10+ hrs for me and 20+ hrs for my wife and cost us already close to a $1000 and climbing fast.     

Chad Jr. has a pre-K graduation in a couple weeks.  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  But then, they had a Kindergarten graduation for us when I was a tike.  McDonald's provided a bunch of "robes" which, thinking back, were probably some sort of paper table cloth we cut holes in to make a poncho-esque robe.   

The Old Fucks are coming into town to see, because they want to, not because they feel obligated.  

I don't suspect there will be any other festivities, unless the pre-school has punch and pie.   I paid a fair bit to have him cared for during the day.  So, I'm not sure what this graduation signifies beyond "Yipee!! Maybe you'll get into a school my taxes already pay for!"

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Chad Jr. has a pre-K graduation in a couple weeks.  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  But then, they had a Kindergarten graduation for us when I was a tike.  McDonald's provided a bunch of "robes" which, thinking back, were probably some sort of paper table cloth we cut holes in to make a poncho-esque robe.   

The Old Fucks are coming into town to see, because they want to, not because they feel obligated.  

I don't suspect there will be any other festivities, unless the pre-school has punch and pie.   I paid a fair bit to have him cared for during the day.  So, I'm not sure what this graduation signifies beyond "Yipee!! Maybe you'll get into a school my taxes already pay for!"

I'd like to see the video of them announcing "Chad Fuck, Jr."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

To be fair, it's not her (the graduate).  It's her mother.  She's kinda living vicariously through her daughter, and again-that's fine.  But she's bringing the rest of us along for the ride.  And the ride has taken up 10+ hrs for me and 20+ hrs for my wife and cost us already close to a $1000 and climbing fast.     

That's your fault for accommodating that bullshit.  If you aren't cool with it, step up and be a man.

Edited by Johnny Sack

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

I've often said, when it's your kids---whether it's preschool of PhD---blow it out.  Why not?  It's pausing to take in the moments in life that make it worthwhile.  But when you start inviting/demanding other people into your orbit---then it's a fucking beating.  My second cousin is graduating on Friday.  There's already been a "ring party" for which tabs were picked up to celebrate.  Then there's the ceremony tomorrow morning.  I'm up late tonight to get a PPM done since I'll be out of the office tomorrow morning.  Then there's the luncheon afterwards...I can't make it but I already know my wife will be expected to pick up a good chunk of the tab in my stead.  Then there's an "open house" on Saturday out at their place for which they've spent thousands of dollars on for something maybe 15-20 people will show up for (and of course, we'll be expected to bring hundred of dollars in booze and gifts).  Then there's the Sunday "mother's of graduates day" celebration which I'm now told is at my house which is really just an extension of their own weekend party.  They've assured me they'll bring leftover side dishes from their Saturday party but that I "get to be in charge of" grilling and more booze.  With gifts and travel logistics for my mother and sister and "pitching in" for myriad parties...we're probably in for well over $1000.  Complete fucking overkill.  It's your child, go nuts---blow it out.  But leave the rest of us the fuck alone.  

Niiiiice humble brag

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

8 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

My parents took my wife (then fiance) and I to fucking Olive Garden in Austin when I graduated.  Fucking Olive Garden.

We went home and ordered pizza after HS graduation. I was fine with that.

But then, they had a Kindergarten graduation for us when I was a tike.  McDonald's provided a bunch of "robes" which, thinking back, were probably some sort of paper table cloth we cut holes in to make a poncho-esque robe.   

Holy shit. You just brought out a repressed memory of me wearing a trash bag PreK graduation robe circa ‘78. Fuck my childhood.
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Niiiiice humble brag

Precisely there ace.  When a thread is specifically about how much we've been robbed of our time and/or cash...it makes no sense to mention how much money we've spent.  Now if it was just a thread about the drama/outfits/time spent on graduation, then yes---my comment would have been outta place.  But the whole idea of the thread was what resources have been demanded of us (be they-time, effort, days off, travel, cash, gifts, etc.).  It was glaringly obvious from the start of the thread that all such outputs on the part of non-parents of graduates were fair game.  But nope, you can't fucking grasp that.  It was a place to vent very much in the flavor that I did.  But any mention of any dollar amount (which, by the way never stops you from bragging about any number of physical possessions), and you just have to throw out "humble brag" despite it being spot on in the spirit of the post.  And you didn't do it because you're "poorz" or whatever old shaggy term is lever over.  You threw it out there because you're fucking stupid and an embarrassment to the University of Texas...if you ever even fucking went there.  So high five yourself and get back to real ridicule on real threads.  I got part four of five parts of a graduation brew-ha-ha to get to tomorrow and I suspect the only thing more high maintenance that this shindig manana is making sure you feel special and clever in your group session tomorrow you fucking shell of a man.  

My kid is graduating high school in a couple of weeks. Close family is coming in the weekend before (Labor Day weekend) and we are having a party for 15 or so at Salt Lick. Just my in-laws are staying over for the ceremony 3 days later. He is free to go out with his friends for after graduation parties.

My niece in Missouri is graduating from a "Christian high school" this month. Not sure what happened to the public school she was attending, but I digress. For the last 3 or 4 Christmases I've sent $3-400 worth of presents to them and not once did I get a thank you. They did send me a few trinket presents ($10 pocket knife, new ball cap with their company logo, stuff like that). This year they didn't even send me a present in return. But graduation rolls around and I get an invitation. They know there's no way in hell I'm driving up there for it, but I'm pretty sure they are expecting a nice fat graduation present. I'm thinking fuck 'em.
Ok that's weird on your part. But good for them to try to keep the gravy train moving

When I graduated high school back sometime around the Disco era, nobody, and I mean nobody, had > 1 dinner, no multiple showy helicopter graduation showers, anything.

We what do the ceremony that afternoon, and then left for a series of maybe three or four parties that night and hung out with our friends. There wasn't a parent or grandmother-in-law in sight.  No one would even think of having a cutesey little family dinner or some bullshit like that outside of your own immediate family, and just for you, and just a simple dinner. No Award ceremonies, no calling relatives from 3000 miles away for anything but the ceremony and maybe a simple family get-together, it was our night, not our Aunt Griselda's or Great-Granny Foo-Foo's, etc.

One of the best nights of my life up to that point. Not all this shit.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Precisely there ace.  When a thread is specifically about how much we've been robbed of our time and/or cash...it makes no sense to mention how much money we've spent.  Now if it was just a thread about the drama/outfits/time spent on graduation, then yes---my comment would have been outta place.  But the whole idea of the thread was what resources have been demanded of us (be they-time, effort, days off, travel, cash, gifts, etc.).  It was glaringly obvious from the start of the thread that all such outputs on the part of non-parents of graduates were fair game.  But nope, you can't fucking grasp that.  It was a place to vent very much in the flavor that I did.  But any mention of any dollar amount (which, by the way never stops you from bragging about any number of physical possessions), and you just have to throw out "humble brag" despite it being spot on in the spirit of the post.  And you didn't do it because you're "poorz" or whatever old shaggy term is lever over.  You threw it out there because you're fucking stupid and an embarrassment to the University of Texas...if you ever even fucking went there.  So high five yourself and get back to real ridicule on real threads.  I got part four of five parts of a graduation brew-ha-ha to get to tomorrow and I suspect the only thing more high maintenance that this shindig manana is making sure you feel special and clever in your group session tomorrow you fucking shell of a man.  

Go check your blood pressure bro.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:20 AM, 52-80 said:

Unless she's graduating on her way to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, she can fuck right off

I went to Oxford (though not as a Rhodie) and I still didn’t want or expect anything fancy when I graduated.

And that’s how you humblebrag.

14 hours ago, skipperj said:

My kid is graduating high school in a couple of weeks. Close family is coming in the weekend before (Labor Day weekend) and we are having a party for 15 or so at Salt Lick. Just my in-laws are staying over for the ceremony 3 days later. He is free to go out with his friends for after graduation parties.

Labor Day is not a couple of weeks away. 

We’ve received 2 (two) graduation announcements this year after receiving dozens and dozens every year for the past 10 years. One is from the daughter of a guy who put in countless hours coaching my now-20 y.o. daughter’s soccer team, and one from a cousin’s kid who - like her parents - would hardly say two words to us at family gatherings (big time Dem ideologues who take their political beliefs waaaay too seriously).

I’d rather pay for the friend’s daughter’s college tuition than send the cousin’s spoiled brat a card  

It’s great having kids who have graduated and who didn’t pal around with younger friends. And, most of our friends happen to have kids who have already graduated.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

My son just graduated from U. of Alabama last weekend. It was a good run. 4 playoff appearances and 2 Nattys. It was a big deal for me. He wasn’t a great student in high school but he got out of college in 4 years, has a job coming out, had a good time and really grew up. I feel it was a real accomplishment for him and validation that he had decent parenting. College graduation day and his wedding will be his two most important milestones. I’m proud.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

After my high school graduation me and about 40 of my classmates headed to the ranch with 7 kegs.  We didn't come back for two days.

1984,  we packed up a few guitars and amps, clothes and condoms, piled into a champagne colored T-bird borrowed from Don Davis and headed east.  Flat as a pancake.  Atlanta, Panama City, etc. Didn’t come back for a month.  Drained my poor farm hand bank account but it was worth it.  

That kindergarten graduation is for the moms.  You give your kid homemade mac & cheese and some new hot wheels/ a Barbie and they are happy as shit.

It’s been almost a year since my oldest graduated college. The best part of the weekend for me was hugging after the ceremony and trying to tell him how proud we were of him... only nothing came out of my mouth. Choked up on some dust or something...LOL.  Bigtime proud dad moment.  None of the other shit remotely mattered as much as that.

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest is set to graduate from high school but the date is set on a fucking Tuesday @ 7:30pm and at the Freeman Coliseum. 

I'm going to hungry af. Ain't no restaurant going to be open that damn late.

Edited by SA-KC_Horn

On 5/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

When I graduated highschool, the actual highschool made a big push to rent out a space and offer (then) nice giveaways and raffles in a highschool sponsored pizza and soda party with chaperones as a way to cut down on throwing a rager. The rager was still thrown however and after checking in and spending 30 minutes at the PG-13 party, we got on with it.

My high school does that every year. They'll rent out some huge center and have all of the juniors and seniors stay locked in until 6AM. I'm pretty sure it was mandatory.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My high school does that every year. They'll rent out some huge center and have all of the juniors and seniors stay locked in until 6AM. I'm pretty sure it was mandatory.

Mandatory?  No. They bribe you with door prizes like stereos and dorm refrigerators.  At least they did 23 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Mandatory?  No. They bribe you with door prizes like stereos and dorm refrigerators.  At least they did 23 years ago. 

Yeah you may be right (how could school be mandatory for graduates?). I just remember everyone being there including those that would normally not be a function like that on their graduation night.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:28 PM, TonyTexas said:

My son just graduated from U. of Alabama last weekend. It was a good run. 4 playoff appearances and 2 Nattys. It was a big deal for me. He wasn’t a great student in high school but he got out of college in 4 years, has a job coming out, had a good time and really grew up. I feel it was a real accomplishment for him and validation that he had decent parenting. College graduation day and his wedding will be his two most important milestones. I’m proud.

Nattys?  Come on, be better than that.

I'm not comfortable with the notion that graduating high school should be treated as some kind of major achievement.  Someone with a semi-normally functioning brain can graduate high school simply by showing up every now and then.  Hell, graduating with an undergraduate degree  doesn't exactly require a great deal of effort either.

Edit to add:  Obviously for those struggling with some kind of disability these can be major achievements which require a great deal of effort, but for the rest, we're setting the bar a bit low aren't we?

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Fuck You 1