Bitch about graduation season

GhostOfTomJoad

16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

My high school does that every year. They'll rent out some huge center and have all of the juniors and seniors stay locked in until 6AM. I'm pretty sure it was mandatory.

Why would the junior class participate in something related to graduation?

My old man didn’t celebrate any graduation until Med school.  I didn’t even attend my college graduation or pick up my diploma.  Not sure I even got a card   It was OU to be fair...

For Med school graduation, the old man came up to KC with my mom and we had a nice dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.  They met my gf, got buzzed, then drove home the next day.  

That’s about all the pomp and circumstance I need.  I mean, wtf is wrong with people today?  

Huge distinction between city people and suburbanites here in Chicago...City people celebrate their own lives while 90% of those in the burbs live to show off their kids BS.  Nobody fucking cares about your kids, people.  JFC

My high school does that every year. They'll rent out some huge center and have all of the juniors and seniors stay locked in until 6AM. I'm pretty sure it was mandatory.

I'll never forget at ours they had some drawing for a grand or two in cash and the girl with the richest parents in town won. Shit was rigged.

I'm not big on celebrations in general. My last company used to always use the example of "hey when we do something good we need to spike the ball and roll around in the end zone". I get that lots of people like this and as the leader I was supposed to encourage and be involved in this stuff.

I told them I'd rather just take the earl Campbell approach and hand the ball to the ref and jog back to the sideline. My aggy and SMU bosses never really appreciated it.

Got drunk and finally responded. This year is the last year we will have a child at that middle school. Fuck them all.

a) Nobody is graduating from 8th grade. b) Middle school sucks, it is designed to break the children down from the rah-rah bullshit of elementary school and prepare them for high school where they have actual responsibilities that affect their lives going forward without their parents hovering over every single thing. c) Promotion from middle school to high school is a bare minimum "achievement" in any US community that is a natural progression and not something to be celebrated. d) Thank god someone had some sensibility and canceled this stupid thing years ago.

• Like 2

Our school had a little ceremony (just recognition, no walk across the stage or anything) for the kiddos who just finished 5th. In the school cafeteria. Took about an hour. Ours has been at that school since pre K, so 7 years. We're fairly involved, know all the teachers, etc. I thought it was a nice way to say goodbye.

• Like 1

After graduation we had a party at Westside Tennis Club and the Arrival played.

Everyone and I mean everyone got drunk and it was a makeout festival right there on the dance floor.

Anyone you never hooked up with, they got some. It was glorious.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:33 AM, tbone_ said:

Our school had a little ceremony (just recognition, no walk across the stage or anything) for the kiddos who just finished 5th. In the school cafeteria. Took about an hour. Ours has been at that school since pre K, so 7 years. We're fairly involved, know all the teachers, etc. I thought it was a nice way to say goodbye.

This right here. Our elementary did the same and agree that it was a good way to say goodbye. No "graduation" BS and after the ceremony, the kids walked around and say goodbye to all their teachers from K on up. 

Never realized there was such a thing as middle school graduation.....certainly didn't have it back in the 80's and my oldest who is an 8th grader this year isn't having one either. Skipper's response is spot on. 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, huge said:

After graduation we had a party at Westside Tennis Club and the Arrival played.

Everyone and I mean everyone got drunk and it was a makeout festival right there on the dance floor.

Anyone you never hooked up with, they got some. It was glorious.

same in regards to the making out, except it was way out in bumfuck at some lake past west austin; one of the guy's parents had bought the land and started a house. house wasn't finished yet so i guess the parents said ok ya'll go out there? anyway, was just a foundation, couple beamed up unfinished walls, tons of magnet kids getting their drink, spin the bottle, never have i ever on. good times; basically a free for all on hitting on whomever you ever had a crush on, everyone seemed to want one last make out session. for a nerdy mexican kid, being "voted" best kisser of the night was nice little feather in my cap. actually didn't drink very much at all, but the drive back alone at 5am-ish was a biiiiiitch. second to last light before my house, i stop like a good citizen. just staring at this stupid red light on the corner of dessau and rundberg. this was before i moved up NE and was shown the idiocy of running red lights late at night (still don't but i had no idea that existed at that point in my life). so there i am, tired but happy, and just nod off. not my proudest moment but woke up when i felt the car lurch forward. wasn't even a quarter of the way through the intersection but scared the shit out of me. definitely the dumbest thing i had done up until that point.

Edited by achooloco

28 minutes ago, Archer said:

1. Monday night graduation... WTF. Luckily I got out of it to stay home and doctor the dog. 

2. Graduation cards for Pre-K and K. Seriously what is the accomplishment, not peeing your pants? 

2.  it is an accomplishment for me 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:16 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

My old man didn’t celebrate any graduation until Med school.  I didn’t even attend my college graduation or pick up my diploma.  Not sure I even got a card   It was OU to be fair...

For Med school graduation, the old man came up to KC with my mom and we had a nice dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.  They met my gf, got buzzed, then drove home the next day.  

That’s about all the pomp and circumstance I need.  I mean, wtf is wrong with people today?  

Huge distinction between city people and suburbanites here in Chicago...City people celebrate their own lives while 90% of those in the burbs live to show off their kids BS.  Nobody fucking cares about your kids, people.  JFC

Well that was the most depressing shit I've read all day.

Wife about lost her shit yesterday when her sister (mom of the graduate) included her in a group text of about 20 people requesting that they text their ETA for Saturday. So of course every fucking one of them replies to the group, not just her sister, causing my wife's phone to blow up. Then her sister takes it to eleven by utilizing the dumbest fucking piece of coding ever written, Apple's "like" comment to every response, which of course went out to the entire group again. Her phone looked like a pinball machine on tilt until she could get in & turn off the notifications.

Oh, we were also instructed that the dress code for Saturday is "snappy casual." WTF? We're driving 3+ hours to sit in a pro football stadium for another 3 hours before driving another hour to get to a restaurant in the 'burbs and there's now a dress code? We're adults here. No one's showing up in cut offs & wife beaters. But expect us to dress up like the cheerleader families do before a competition. FML.

PSA: Your kid gets 3 seconds of hootin and hollerin. At 4 seconds, Someone else won’t be able to hear their kids name. Keep your shit tight. Loud as you want for 3 seconds.

This is NOT a “who loves their kid more” contest.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:00 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Wife about lost her shit yesterday when her sister (mom of the graduate) included her in a group text of about 20 people requesting that they text their ETA for Saturday. So of course every fucking one of them replies to the group, not just her sister, causing my wife's phone to blow up. Then her sister takes it to eleven by utilizing the dumbest fucking piece of coding ever written, Apple's "like" comment to every response, which of course went out to the entire group again. Her phone looked like a pinball machine on tilt until she could get in & turn off the notifications.

Oh, we were also instructed that the dress code for Saturday is "snappy casual." WTF? We're driving 3+ hours to sit in a pro football stadium for another 3 hours before driving another hour to get to a restaurant in the 'burbs and there's now a dress code? We're adults here. No one's showing up in cut offs & wife beaters. But expect us to dress up like the cheerleader families do before a competition. FML.

Keep us updated!

My son’s class had a huge 8th grade “promotion” ceremony followed by a dinner, awards, and dance at the nearby country club on Tuesday.  Parents included.  Mind you this is for a school that is 7-12.  He’s not even changing schools.

woke up early this morning for my niece’s HS grad.  

That kindergarten graduation is for the moms.  You give your kid homemade mac & cheese and some new hot wheels/ a Barbie and they are happy as shit.

If K graduation is for the moms how do we explain the stupid ass 5th grade and 8th grade “graduations” I attended last week.

Who the hell were those for. The kids didn’t give a shit.

I will admit straight up to not having the slightest idea.  I've always felt graduations are dumb as fuck until college.  That is something that has actually been earned of someone's own volition.

39 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

If K graduation is for the moms how do we explain the stupid ass 5th grade and 8th grade “graduations” I attended last week.

Who the hell were those for. The kids didn’t give a shit.

My kid is leaving 5-6th grade school to go to 7-8th.   They use to have a “promotion/graduation” ceremony but this year they sent email to parents asking if they wanted this or something low key.  63% low key for the win!   They did a morning announcement on school TV to give out some awards for 6th graders that normally happened at the ceremony, and then had half day of fun outside.

My kid got an award so I was there to see it...on school TV.  Then kids with awards met parents in Library as surprise to kids who received something.

Good choice.

Reminds me of the old saying that Jews believe that a fetus is not viable until it graduates medical school

21 hours ago, ABSR said:

My kid is leaving 5-6th grade school to go to 7-8th.   They use to have a “promotion/graduation” ceremony but this year they sent email to parents asking if they wanted this or something low key.  63% low key for the win!   They did a morning announcement on school TV to give out some awards for 6th graders that normally happened at the ceremony, and then had half day of fun outside.

My kid got an award so I was there to see it...on school TV.  Then kids with awards met parents in Library as surprise to kids who received something.

Good choice.

What about all those other kids that didn't get an award?  They are going to feel like a loser.  

Ok a good graduation story.  My nephew was both graduating and turning 18 the same weekend.  He’s headed off to chef school up at CIA in upstate New York. He and his dad made a shitload of lasagna, homemade bread and salad, fed all of us and then kicked us out of the house. Eat well, exchange well wishes and gifts, then back on the road and (aside from the stop at Hruskas) back home the same day.  Thanks BIL for doing it correctly. 

• Like 1

Survived the day of hell. Austin to Houston trip wasn't too bad. Only real threat to life & limb was getting in & out of NRG parking lot due to large assembly of mouth breathers. Grad ceremony itself was a tolerable 2 hours. I stood on the perimeter while SIL drove people nuts while trying to micro-manage every photograph. BIL got drunk & gave a rambling, almost incomprehensible toast at dinner but he picked up the tab for 16 so preach on. Highlight was he & I gathered around the TV in the bar area waiting for our table to be set & getting to see Kody put that 3 run shot on Comal Street in the 1st inning. Aggy BIL was ready to spit nails but could only muster a "that's not good. I'd better go check on aunt Betty" then went outside to start fielding text message blasts from his other aggy friends.

So dinner after the graduation should be just about first pitch of the Texas v aggy baseball game. FML. BIL (father of the grad) is aggy. If we're not sitting near a TV in the restaurant I will be very, very gruntled.

Wrong. You should have been next to a tv

On 5/12/2018 at 5:06 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 5/8/2018 at 7:41 PM, RPM said:
My niece in Missouri is graduating from a "Christian high school" this month. Not sure what happened to the public school she was attending, but I digress. For the last 3 or 4 Christmases I've sent $3-400 worth of presents to them and not once did I get a thank you. They did send me a few trinket presents ($10 pocket knife, new ball cap with their company logo, stuff like that). This year they didn't even send me a present in return. But graduation rolls around and I get an invitation. They know there's no way in hell I'm driving up there for it, but I'm pretty sure they are expecting a nice fat graduation present. I'm thinking fuck 'em.

Ok that's weird on your part. But good for them to try to keep the gravy train moving

That gravy train is missing its biscuit wheels.

Little Homesick “graduated” from the 1st grade last Thursday. Ex Mrs Homesick felt it necessary to text me from the school at 12pm:

Her- “he really wishes his Dad could be here to see this”.

Me- “According to the take home flier, it doesn’t happen until 12:30. Have you already spoken with him?” (It was my week with him, so I’m the one who dropped him off, and was picking him up).

Her- “I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I know that he’s going to want you here”.

Me- “It’s first grade graduation, if I’m not there, I’ll get to hear about it when I pick him up at 3:15”.

Her- “All I’m saying is that these are things that will impact his life down the road. He’ll remember you not being here.”

Me- “He and I talked about it this morning on the way to school. He’s cool with the fact that I probably couldn’t make it there due to work.”

Her- “Whatever. It’s already over with. I just thought you were trying harder to include yourself”.

Me: “Get off your phone, and try and find him. He’s on the other side of the auditorium. I’m the one who’s lap he’s sitting on.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Little Homesick “graduated” from the 1st grade last Thursday. Ex Mrs Homesick felt it necessary to text me from the school at 12pm:

Me- “According to the take home flier, it doesn’t happen until 12:30. Have you already spoken with him?” (It was my week with him, so I’m the one who dropped him off, and was picking him up).

Her- “I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I know that he’s going to want you here”.

Me- “It’s first grade graduation, if I’m not there, I’ll get to hear about it when I pick him up at 3:15”.

Her- “All I’m saying is that these are things that will impact his life down the road. He’ll remember you not being here.”

Me- “He and I talked about it this morning on the way to school. He’s cool with the fact that I probably couldn’t make it there due to work.”

Her- “Whatever. It’s already over with. I just thought you were trying harder to include yourself”.

Me: “Get off your phone, and try and find him. He’s on the other side of the auditorium. I’m the one who’s lap he’s sitting on.”

05123b1109aa11769745b23da17675c0f3b2ed-w

6 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Thoughts and prayers for dealing with a guilt-tripping cunt like that.

What a fucking beating.

That was a great happy ending, too.  Yes, the other kind in life...

Dude. She sounds horrible.

But I'm going to go ahead and point out, that you could have avoided the absolute beating that was your conversation with your ex, if you'd just said from the beginning "I'm here."

I know you want to teach her to be a better person.  You're not going to succeed.

She is who she is, there's nothing you can do to change that, and if I were you I'd do whatever I could to minimize the amount of discussion with her in any, and every, situation.  Just my two pennies, that's about all it's worth.  But you seem like a good person, and you deserve as few words as possible exchanged with this woman.  

Goodbye, and good luck. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1