2021 G Tamar Bates

texifornia

I rarely post in basketball threads, because I have no idea what I'm talking about. Still, the "Tamar Bates. Google me" quote has me very optimistic. Honestly, with that kind of mindset, I'd like to see him in pads and playing Linebacker against OU on 10/10.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I dunno.  I think Jai Lucas may have just driven a stake through Shaka's heart.  

If Shaka doesn't win more games he's gone but I wouldn't bet on recruiting falling off after losing Lucas. They just landed Bates who had offers from schools like Kansas and that was without Lucas. 

People thought recruiting was going to fall off after Horn left and Texas lands a 5 star big almost every cycle. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Shaka doesn't win more games he's gone but I wouldn't bet on recruiting falling off after losing Lucas. They just landed Bates who had offers from schools like Kansas and that was without Lucas. 

People thought recruiting was going to fall off after Horn left and Texas lands a 5 star big almost every cycle. 

You say that, but Collins was lined up to be that dude, he looks more OU-bound by the week.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You say that, but Collins was lined up to be that dude, he looks more OU-bound by the week.

Yeah, but that's because Lucas was his primary recruiter.

That doesn't say much about recruiting long term. It's definitely going to have an impact on the guys Lucas was recruiting (like Collins) but they're still going to land good players with Shaka and KT Turner. Bates already proves that. 

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, well our 5 star big that was a silent to us is about to follow Lucas to Calipariville.

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, well our 5 star big that was a silent to us is about to follow Lucas to Calipariville.

Likely OU but that's what happens when you lose a coach that was the primary recruiter of a player for over a year. That doesn't mean Texas will fall off in recruiting it simply means they lost the coach that was recruiting a certain player. Relationships matter. 

KT Turner has been landing high profile grad transfers left and right at SMU. Anei and Davis were very good players in the Big 12 and a ton of P5 schools wanted them. I wouldn't bet on recruiting falling off with Shaka and KT Turner. But recruiting obviously doesn't mean much if Shaka doesn't start stacking some wins. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wells

Spoiler

IMG Academy four-star point guard and Texas signee Tamar Bates posted today that he'll be asking for a release from his National Letter of Intent.

With Shaka Smart taking over at Marquette, the smooth southpaw looks to find a new college home. It's customary for most programs to release a player from his LOI if a coaching change has taken place.

One source says Marquette might be a possible destination, but also mentioned if UT were to hire a new coach soon, that might change Bates' stance on being released.

50 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

IMG Academy four-star point guard and Texas signee Tamar Bates posted today that he'll be asking for a release from his National Letter of Intent.

With Shaka Smart taking over at Marquette, the smooth southpaw looks to find a new college home. It's customary for most programs to release a player from his LOI if a coaching change has taken place.

One source says Marquette might be a possible destination, but also mentioned if UT were to hire a new coach soon, that might change Bates' stance on being released.

This doesn't suck 

• 3 weeks later...