Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

Bob Dylan sucks.

The Ramones did more for Rock and Roll than The Beatles.

Roth era Van Halen is the greatest American Rock band of all time.

Eric Johnson was a lesbian (nttawwt) trying out for a roll in the Grambling State marching band.

What you got? You don't have to be drunk to post, but it helps.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I don’t think he sucks but he is slightly overrated.   

One thing about Springsteen is that there is a very yankee redneck, jersey guy motif to his music.  It doesn't have universal appeal.  Probably like Skynrd and related doesn't appeal to jersey goombahs.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan sucks.
Eric Johnson was a lesbian (nttawwt) trying out for a roll in the Grambling State marching band.

Those are all accurate.

2010s was the worst decade for music since the 1940s and I feel sorry for anyone who spent their teens and twenties in that decade.  2020s will probably be worse.

Beyonce is the most overrated human in history.

Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam are both dramatically overrated.

Grateful Dead is the best American rock band ever and second place is miles behind.

Springsteen is the only classic rock icon I'm not a big fan of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beatles.

Beyonce sucks.  Her popularity has almost nothing to do with her music.

Jason Isbell hasn't made a great (or even very good) album since Southeastern.

The Ramones are wildly overrated in the critical community.

AC/DC > Black Sabbath.

The Doors are absolutely terrible.

Phish studio albums are more enjoyable than any of their bootlegs.

The Black Crowes were the best American band active in the 90's.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 12:52 AM, Topper13 said:

Bob Dylan sucks.

I'm not a Beatles guy at all, but man, I've just NEVER really gotten the Ramones.  I bought their anthology in high school because I was into punk and those early albums were supposed to be gospel, but I never found them to be anything other than pretty catchy.  I read all these profuse pieces talking about how amazing and incredible and important they were, that use all these adjectives to describe how they were really genius musicians.  It's 3 power chords, one note a time bass lines, simple drumming, and barely decipherable vocals.  The lyrics were clearly meaningless most of the time.  Like I said, it's fun, but the idea that this is pinnacle of anything has always perplexed me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not a Beatles guy at all, but man, I've just NEVER really gotten the Ramones.  I bought their anthology in high school because I was into punk and those early albums were supposed to be gospel, but I never found them to be anything other than pretty catchy.  I read all these profuse pieces talking about how amazing and incredible and important they were, that use all these adjectives to describe how they were really genius musicians.  It's 3 power chords, one note a time bass lines, simple drumming, and barely decipherable vocals.  The lyrics were clearly meaningless most of the time.  Like I said, it's fun, but the idea that this is pinnacle of anything has always perplexed me.

Considering punk was supposed to be the counterpoint to the excesses of 70's rock, your points are why they matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The Black Crowes are career sellouts

Nickelback has some good dumb rock songs and are fun live

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are better than Pearl Jam

The Beastie Boys are more influential than U2 (got in a huge argument about that one night)

James Taylor, Steve Miller, and Jimmy Buffett all suck

There have been no new ideas in rock since Nirvana

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The Black Crowes are career sellouts

Nickelback has some good dumb rock songs and are fun live

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are better than Pearl Jam

The Beastie Boys are more influential than U2 (got in a huge argument about that one night)

James Taylor, Steve Miller, and Jimmy Buffett all suck

There have been no new ideas in rock since Nirvana

Concur on most of that. For the last one, I'd say Korn was pretty unique when they came out and possibly Slipknot 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Green Day was just pop punk 

Green Day isn't any different than Nirvana. They both took a fringe genre and showed that it could be mainstream popular - and in the process help gave birth to alt-rock. Nirvana didn't invent grunge. Green Day didn't invent punk. Although Nirvana was definitely closer to it's genre's inception and maybe more instrumental in some of the foundational ideas. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Hey, it's that thread that gets started every 3 months where posters go out of their way to proclaim every musician or piece of recorded work is shit. Yay!

Yeah, every forum has them, I think.

I used to spend a lot of time on audio recording forums, and those would see a recurring, "What do you think is overrated?" threads, with replies that would include all the industry-standard and most coveted/expensive microphones, pre-amps, and signal processing.  They got silly pretty fast.  

My favorite sarcastic replies in that thread were:  "Sound waves moving through the air," and another person who observed, "I am only going to let Pavarotti sing directly into my earhole."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Nirvana broke through with the loud-quiet-loud thing and ended an entire genre overnight, instantly transforming rock radio. Nothing else like that has happened since then in rock and roll.

Maybe. I mean you're hyperbolizing a bit. The original comment I replied to was about no "new ideas" being presented in rock since Nirvana. I brought up Green Day because, like Nirvana, they helped to shape post 80s rock and set the stage for the type of rock that would become mainstream in the 90s and 00s. I guess the main difference would be that punk had been around longer than grunge, but it hadn't been mainstream basically... ever.

We could go back and forth on their legacies all day, but to say that Nirvana brought new ideas to rock and Green Day didn't is silly. Either they both did or neither of them did. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Green Day isn't any different than Nirvana. They both took a fringe genre and showed that it could be mainstream popular - and in the process help gave birth to alt-rock. Nirvana didn't invent grunge. Green Day didn't invent punk. Although Nirvana was definitely closer to it's genre's inception and maybe more instrumental in some of the foundational ideas. 

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Nirvana broke through with the loud-quiet-loud thing and ended an entire genre overnight, instantly transforming rock radio. Nothing else like that has happened since then in rock and roll.

9 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Kurt Cobain is not in the 27 Club.  

Buzzrock is correct

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Considering punk was supposed to be the counterpoint to the excesses of 70's rock, your points are why they matter. 

I understand all that in an academic sense.

It still doesn't make the music inherently matter to me.  It's hard for me to really connect to something that's only catchy on a real deep level.  I can do silly lyrics if the music is really powerful (AC/DC, Sabbath) and I can do really simple music when the lyrics and melodies are powerful.  But when you have both, it's hard for me to get into more than just enjoying it in a passing sense.

I think the Ramones are fun, and I like them, but really struggle with the idea of them being massively important.  I realize they were coming out in the 60's and weren't any kind of response to arena rock excess, but I've always been more drawn to The Stooges or MC5 for really raw, stripped down, loud music.

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Everyone knows that Green Day ripped off Stiff Little Fingers.

Stiff Little Fingers were a lot better at playing their instruments, but Billy Joe definitely ripped the singer off.

While we're on the subject of popular pop-punk bands and who they aped, Blink 182 ripped off The Descendents something fierce.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I realize they were coming out in the 60's

70s

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Stiff Little Fingers were a lot better at playing their instruments,

Yeah, I disagree. Part of what set Green Day apart from previous punk/pop-punk acts by the time they made Dookie was that they were decidedly not shitty at playing their instruments and went much more hi-fi than most punk acts. The "idea" was, hey let's take punk but not use noise to cover up our mistakes and actually stick to a tempo and mix and master everything properly. And if we flub something we're going to re-record it until it's flawless. And we'll keep the vocals as punk as we can, but we're going to at least try to sing on key and harmonize a little bit to make things catchy. (and then Blink-182 said "hey thats a great idea except we're going to rip the subject matter and singing from the descendents instead - see you at the VMAs!) They are similar to the Clash in that regard, except they became more popular than the Clash or any punk act before them. (thanks in large part to Nirvana 🙂)

The Stiff Little Fingers thing comes from a joke from a movie, right? I don't even think they sound that much alike. GD certainly didn't need them to do anything. They basically needed the Beatles, the Ramones and the Clash to come up with everything they put on record, and some help from Nirvana, PJ, Sonic Youth etc. to sell a fuck ton of records.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

70s

Yeah, I disagree. Part of what set Green Day apart from previous punk/pop-punk acts by the time they made Dookie was that they were decidedly not shitty at playing their instruments and went much more hi-fi than most punk acts. The "idea" was, hey let's take punk but not use noise to cover up our mistakes and actually stick to a tempo and mix and master everything properly. And if we flub something we're going to re-record it until it's flawless. And we'll keep the vocals as punk as we can, but we're going to at least try to sing on key and harmonize a little bit to make things catchy. (and then Blink-182 said "hey thats a great idea except we're going to rip the subject matter and singing from the descendents instead - see you at the VMAs!) They are similar to the Clash in that regard, except they became more popular than the Clash or any punk act before them. (thanks in large part to Nirvana 🙂)

The Stiff Little Fingers thing comes from a joke from a movie, right? I don't even think they sound that much alike. GD certainly didn't need them to do anything. They basically needed the Beatles, the Ramones and the Clash to come up with everything they put on record, and some help from Nirvana, PJ, Sonic Youth etc. to sell a fuck ton of records.

The riffing on "Johnny Was" is more compelling guitar work to me than anything by Green Day.  And I loved Green Day back in the day.  I think the secret to Green Day was Billy Joe was a hell of a pop rock songwriter and had a major knack for melody.  Mike Dirnt is probably underrated as a bass player, I guess.  A lot of the hook in some of the biggest Green Day songs came off his bass lines.