Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The riffing on "Johnny Was" is more compelling guitar work to me than anything by Green Day.  And I loved Green Day back in the day.  I think the secret to Green Day was Billy Joe was a hell of a pop rock songwriter and had a major knack for melody.  Mike Dirnt is probably underrated as a bass player, I guess.  A lot of the hook in some of the biggest Green Day songs came off his bass lines.

Their (his?) guitar work is fine. I'm not sure how much he was ever trying to do on guitar. There's something to be said for playing clean rhythm tracks, I guess. Their bass playing and drumming, however, is excellent. You can't sell 20 million records as just a trio and not be pretty fucking good at what you're playing. (Ask Nirvana) 

Jimmy Buffet's music is so human. It's fun and whimsical at times, but it's dark and existential at others. 

Speaking of Jimmy Buffet, if David Allen Coe weren't so problematic, he'd be spoken of as one of the country legends and best to ever do it. He is surprisingly versatile. He definitely represents a "Hillbilly Elegy" culture which spans across the Appalachians to East Texas and includes all the antebellum South.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Yeah, but David Allen Coe has some, let’s say unfortunate recordings (or you could say pretty goddamn racist) that prevent him from being in any kind of discussion like that...especially in 2020.

Pretty interesting read on all of that.  It was put together by his son (so yes, obvious potential for bias), but he and his son are very much estranged.

https://www.facebook.com/tylermahancoe/posts/some-of-you-are-never-going-to-change-your-mind-about-this-and-i-want-to-start-b/896242787227193/

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pretty interesting read on all of that.  It was put together by his son (so yes, obvious potential for bias), but he and his son are very much estranged.

https://www.facebook.com/tylermahancoe/posts/some-of-you-are-never-going-to-change-your-mind-about-this-and-i-want-to-start-b/896242787227193/

"The other thing you're wrong about is that David Allan Coe is not a homophobic person. He had sex with men in prison. "Fuck Aneta Bryant" is a vulgar gay rights anthem and Nadine Hubbs does a great job of explaining this in the book Rednecks, Queers and Country Music."

Well, I'll be.

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

"The other thing you're wrong about is that David Allan Coe is not a homophobic person. He had sex with men in prison. "Fuck Aneta Bryant" is a vulgar gay rights anthem and Nadine Hubbs does a great job of explaining this in the book Rednecks, Queers and Country Music."

Well, I'll be.

Perhaps the most interesting excerpt.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I understand all that in an academic sense.

It still doesn't make the music inherently matter to me.  It's hard for me to really connect to something that's only catchy on a real deep level.  I can do silly lyrics if the music is really powerful (AC/DC, Sabbath) and I can do really simple music when the lyrics and melodies are powerful.  But when you have both, it's hard for me to get into more than just enjoying it in a passing sense.

I think the Ramones are fun, and I like them, but really struggle with the idea of them being massively important.  I realize they were coming out in the 60's and weren't any kind of response to arena rock excess, but I've always been more drawn to The Stooges or MC5 for really raw, stripped down, loud music.

I'm not sure anyone really contends that The Ramones were musically great.  They did, almost accidentally, inspire some great musicians and bands, and a movement that was very "impactful."

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe. I mean you're hyperbolizing a bit. The original comment I replied to was about no "new ideas" being presented in rock since Nirvana. I brought up Green Day because, like Nirvana, they helped to shape post 80s rock and set the stage for the type of rock that would become mainstream in the 90s and 00s. I guess the main difference would be that punk had been around longer than grunge, but it hadn't been mainstream basically... ever.
We could go back and forth on their legacies all day, but to say that Nirvana brought new ideas to rock and Green Day didn't is silly. Either they both did or neither of them did. 

I was not hyperbolizing. That’s the most ridiculous thing ever said by any human in the history of earth.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Also...bear with me:

The actor (and sometime musician) Jack Black is one of the most musically interesting people I've had the pleasure of following, randomly, throughout the years. He seems to have a weird innate, almost virtuoso, ability to understand and play with melodies. His-- I'm not even sure what to call it-- vocal improvisation and/or scat singing I think is a medium for which he can explore and lift melodies to higher orders. He's simply fantastic, and if he wasn't so fat and jocular, I think he'd be taken more seriously. If he was had a personality of like, Jack White (overrated and emo), we'd think he was a musical genius, but because he's a funny go, I think we don't do his musical talent justice. But then again, I think a lot of the beauty in his music comes from a place of exploration and the human act of "play" that only creative humans can do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Jimmy Buffet's music is so human. It's fun and whimsical at times, but it's dark and existential at others. 

Speaking of Jimmy Buffet, if David Allen Coe weren't so problematic, he'd be spoken of as one of the country legends and best to ever do it. He is surprisingly versatile. He definitely represents a "Hillbilly Elegy" culture which spans across the Appalachians to East Texas and includes all the antebellum South.

DAC played in the parking lot of Papa Blakely's Softball Park in Clodine, TX in about 1993 or 1994. He stumbled out of his piece of crap camper and staggered over to the stage. He rambled incoherently about writing this song and that song between singing what I would best describe as medleys of some songs,  mainly because he couldn't remember the whole song. He seemed very bitter and went on and on about how he was better than a bunch of more famous guys. It was truly sad. If someone wanted to bet me that he'd still be alive 25 years later that night I would have lost my ass       

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Also...bear with me:

The actor (and sometime musician) Jack Black is one of the most musically interesting people I've had the pleasure of following, randomly, throughout the years. He seems to have a weird innate, almost virtuoso, ability to understand and play with melodies. His-- I'm not even sure what to call it-- vocal improvisation and/or scat singing I think is a medium for which he can explore and lift melodies to higher orders. He's simply fantastic, and if he wasn't so fat and jocular, I think he'd be taken more seriously. If he was had a personality of like, Jack White (overrated and emo), we'd think he was a musical genius, but because he's a funny go, I think we don't do his musical talent justice. But then again, I think a lot of the beauty in his music comes from a place of exploration and the human act of "play" that only creative humans can do.

I like a lot of his stuff. I wouldn't consider him a musical genius.

9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Why not? What would you consider musical genius to look like or consist of? Set out your parameters and definitions and allow me to make a case.

I understand what you're getting at and can probably guess the case you would make. I don't know what my parameters are but Jack Black falls below them. 

I mean you're comparing him to Jack White who is probably the greatest guitarist of his generation. And I don't think I'd consider Jack White a musical genius, either, although he's a really, really fucking talented guitar player and composer. Actually, he might be one of my last in if I was going to make a list. I think Jack White is similar to someone like Travis Barker.

My bar is pretty fucking high. Prince is a genius. Jimmy Page is a genius. Brian Wilson is a genius. McCartney, Gilmour and Waters, Lou Reed, Sting, Elton John, Quincy Jones...

Those people. Not Jack Black.

Unpopular opinion on unpopular opinions:

People dismiss context when saying "overrated". To suggest the Beatles "sucked" or that the Ramones weren't "influential"  doesn't take into account the time/era/active music that was being done at the time. The Beatles/Ramones/Etc aren't ground breaking when compared to 50 years of music that came after them, but they created/pushed a "new" sound. 

But yeah, The Doors are the most overrated band in history.

• Hook 'Em 3

In contrast, I think people often overreact to the term "overrated".  "Overrated" does not mean "bad".  It means that you think said thing isn't as good as other people think it is.

I think the Beatles are overrated.  I also think they're great.  I just don't think they're the greatest band of all time, and many other people do.  Hence I think, in general, that they are overrated.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I understand what you're getting at and can probably guess the case you would make. I don't know what my parameters are but Jack Black falls below them. 

I mean you're comparing him to Jack White who is probably the greatest guitarist of his generation. And I don't think I'd consider Jack White a musical genius, either, although he's a really, really fucking talented guitar player and composer. Actually, he might be one of my last in if I was going to make a list. I think Jack White is similar to someone like Travis Barker.

My bar is pretty fucking high. Prince is a genius. Jimmy Page is a genius. Brian Wilson is a genius. McCartney, Gilmour and Waters, Lou Reed, Sting, Elton John, Quincy Jones...

Those people. Not Jack Black.

We agree to disagree then, is it?

On 8/30/2020 at 9:44 PM, ztejas said:

I can do without most of the Stone's catalogue. 

The RHCP get worse the more I listen to them.

REM has like 3 good songs. 

You’re hitting on 2/3 here for me. 

I happen to think R.E.M. is one of the greatest bands of all time. (Which May an “unpopular” opinion?)

A few of my other unpopular opinions are...

Green Day sucks

Bob Dylan can’t sing for crap

Grateful Dead’s music all sounds the same and sucks

”Imagine” is overrated and I can’t stand the song.

All of, and I mean ALL of today’s “rap” sounds the same- I can tell if it’s Drake, T Scott, K Lamar or Migos.  It all sucks.

I’m sure there’s more, but now I’m in a shitty mood from having to think about all these craptastic bands/songs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

You’re hitting on 2/3 here for me. 

I happen to think R.E.M. is one of the greatest bands of all time. (Which May an “unpopular” opinion?)

A few of my other unpopular opinions are...

Green Day sucks

Bob Dylan can’t sing for crap

”Imagine” is overrated and I can’t stand the song.

All of, and I mean ALL of today’s “rap” sounds the same- I can tell if it’s Drake, T Scott, K Lamar or Migos.  It all sucks.

I’m sure there’s more, but now I’m in a shitty mood from having to think about all these craptastic bands/songs.

Go ahead and include  REM in the 'sucks' category and you're batting 1.000 here

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm guessing you were more of a Hair Band kinda guy in the 80's.

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm guessing you were more of a Hair Band kinda guy in the 80's.

Well I didn't like REM and they had hair back then. 

Guns, Metallica, Cult, Def Lep etc ...don't know if I'd call them hair bands 

• Like 1

I get you may not like it, but their music most certainly does not sound the same. I won’t spam the board with examples, but that couldn’t be more wrong. I do understand not liking it though and to each their own.

• Hook 'Em 2

Dio Black Sabbath is better than Ozzy Black Sabbath.

Bruce Dickinson Iron Maiden is better than Paul Diano Iron Maiden.

Brian Johnson AC/DC is better than Bon Scott AC/DC.

Sammy Hager Van Hale...wait, no it isn’t. But I do like it better than most people I think.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/30/2020 at 4:03 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Bruce Springsteen sucks

A few friends talked me into using an extra ticket for Springsteen in Pittsburgh one time and I got good and wasted before so I was the idiot screaming for Freebird the who show. Some guy wanted to fight me for that. Especially after I said Springsteen sucks and his own songs were awful and if he wanted to sing a good song he should try Freebird.

I hate The Dave Matthews Band

I saw Bob Dylan in the Akron Rubber Bowl and he was terrible. I don't like Bob Dylan.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

There's never been a worse band than Mumford and Sons.  Unlistenable garbage.  A beating beyond description.

This is true and probably not an unpopular opinion. 

A few years ago some random blogger posted that this gif reminded him of all Mumford and Sons songs and I can't hear about them without thinking of it:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

A few friends talked me into using an extra ticket for Springsteen in Pittsburgh one time and I got good and wasted before so I was the idiot screaming for Freebird the who show. Some guy wanted to fight me for that. Especially after I said Springsteen sucks and his own songs were awful and if he wanted to sing a good song he should try Freebird.

I saw Bob Dylan in the Akron Rubber Bowl and he was terrible. I don't like Bob Dylan.

I like Bob Dylan songs played by other bands.  His voice is horrible.

So now this is the thread where people out themselves as the biggest asshole at the show that everyone prays they don't have to sit by?

Here's to you, mister shit faced drunk who wants to ruin everyone else's experience because your fucked out of your skull mind thinks you're funny or worse...interesting.

Did I sit next you at the U2 Joshua Tree show at jerryworld a few years back? Were you the guy who spilled beers over 3 rows of people, pumped his fist in the air so wildly he punched the woman behind him in the face, and when security came to drag him away he'd already puked on himself?

40 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So now this is the thread where people out themselves as the biggest asshole at the show that everyone prays they don't have to sit by?

Here's to you, mister shit faced drunk who wants to ruin everyone else's experience because your fucked out of your skull mind thinks you're funny or worse...interesting.

Did I sit next you at the U2 Joshua Tree show at jerryworld a few years back? Were you the guy who spilled beers over 3 rows of people, pumped his fist in the air so wildly he punched the woman behind him in the face, and when security came to drag him away he'd already puked on himself?

No, that was not me at U2.

our seats, which we didn’t sit in, at Springsteen we’re behind the stage and we were all spread out. Very few people were there around us and very few could hear me, pretty much just my friends. Guy who wanted to fight was walking up the aisle was drunk and wanted to fight pretty much anyone.