Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Dio Black Sabbath is better than Ozzy Black Sabbath.

Bruce Dickinson Iron Maiden is better than Paul Diano Iron Maiden.

Brian Johnson AC/DC is better than Bon Scott AC/DC.

Sammy Hager Van Hale...wait, no it isn’t. But I do like it better than most people I think.

This guy definitely hit the spirit of the thread...

And to clarify, are you saying that Back in Black is AC/DC's best album (I don't agree, but absolutely respect the take) or that their body of work with Brian Johnson exceeds their body of work with Bon Scott (total fucking lunacy)?

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone that isn't a fan of the Grateful Dead.  I can understand why you aren't a fan, but I feel sorry that you didn't get it.  I'm sure there were some people that didn't like Beethoven, Mozart, or Hayden so I can understand how it happens.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

I enjoy the Grateful Dead, but have never really been a Dead Head, nor do I consider them the best American band of all time.

I love Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, both of which are absolute cornerstones in the process of rock and country fusing (which is basically my favorite kind of music), and enjoy plenty of snippets from the rest of their career.  Europe '72 is a general go-to as well.  But I've listened to some of the myriad of shows on Spotify and I can't quite into each individual show nor do I have the time to really delve into the various eras, line ups, etc.  It's just too much to put on a plate that already feels pretty full.

I also think shitting on them is pretty lazy and just kind of a reflexive "I hate hippies" sort of thing.

Sorry guys. I didn’t mean to turn this into a GD thread. I got a little drunk and a little high last night and was maybe a little over enthusiastic while listening to a show. Didn’t mean to derail and I will take my GD talk to the appropriate thread.

Amy Winehouse's Back To Black is the greatest album of the last couple decades.

Arcade Fire is super overrated.

Classic rock's time has passed so who cares which bands/artists you like or hate from that time.

Joni Mitchell's Blue is the best album from that time anyway.

The Gits should have been as big as some of the Seattle grunge bands.

No one ever talks about hip hop in these threads which is a better and much more interesting genre than rock anyway

On 9/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

In contrast, I think people often overreact to the term "overrated".  "Overrated" does not mean "bad".  It means that you think said thing isn't as good as other people think it is.

I think the Beatles are overrated.  I also think they're great.  I just don't think they're the greatest band of all time, and many other people do.  Hence I think, in general, that they are overrated.

I like the Beatles and think they were the most important popular music group of their era, but I still think they’re wildly overrated.

8 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

geriatric rock stars still doing the rock star thing is fucking gross

I don't know what the age of expiration is on shaking hips but it is definitely before the age said hip might break in a fall

David Byrne gets a pass here.  Dude is infinitely creative and continues to shake his ass in an ironic fashion live.

• Like 1

Best Sabbath album is Born Again.
The Who sucks/sucked (don't know or want to know if they're still around), and Pete Townsend has never written a memorable riff.

Yeah, Baba O’Reilly, Substitute, Pinball Wizard, Wont Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, Bargain, et al definitely aren’t seared into the public consciousness
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/2/2020 at 12:12 AM, Rimbo said:

tenor.gif

Definitely not a popular opinion. But the correct one.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:15 AM, Buzzrock said:

I was bummed when Joey came back. I loved the JB years.

This thread resulted in me doing a deep dive into the bush years. Found Inside Out. Holy crap loved that. Never heard it before.

Edited by Butch Had Not

On 9/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Well I didn't like REM and they had hair back then. 

Guns, Metallica, Cult, Def Lep etc ...don't know if I'd call them hair bands 

Def Leppard might be the worst famous band of all time.  No Joke.

Imagine thinking "Automatic for the People" is a bad album while you're headbanging to every washed up stripper's anthem of "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Imagine thinking "Automatic for the People" is a bad album while you're headbanging to every washed up stripper's anthem of "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

I preferred that fanbase to the hairy-pitted REM female fan i encountered at Tower Records.  But you do you bro

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I preferred that fanbase to the hairy-pitted REM female fan i encountered at Tower Records.  But you do you bro

At least those hairy-pitted women had good taste in music.  Were the women you encountered at Tower Records not scared off by your long teased hair and make-up?

If you're not teasing the back of your mullet out each morning with a good backcomb.....you're not rocking it properly.  

You can have all the business up front you want, but the party in the back needs to be teased.  Otherwise, your shirt that says, "Work Hard, Play Hard" will only be half accurate.  

Back to unpopular music opinions.  I've said it before, I don't get the now-30 year infatuation with Nirvana.  Their sound was groundbreaking, Cobain and Grohl were/are immensely talented songwriters and musicians, and of course I owned a copy of "Nevermind."  But I didn't get the obsession at the time, the people most into their anti-establishment/youth angst sound were the most sheltered kids from mass housing developments off the access road.  The most fucked up kids I grew up with didn't give Nirvana a second thought, it didn't resonate with them.  I found that strange for a few years.  Couple years later, the DJ's at my station that were the angry, rage filled drugged up guys...never played Nirvana.  But every boring, church-going white guy played the shit out of Nirvana.  And while they were certainly a tectonic shift in rock 'n roll, their body of work being as small as it was and the 30 years that have passed almost since they crashed the scene...I don't get why they're still being talked about so much (not society at large, but serious music people). 

And finally, their music didn't hold up well.  It didn't hold up poorly, but it did not hold up all that well.  And not because we're in an era of over-produced crap, and their sound was more pure...I'm saying they don't hold up against rock music far older than theirs.  

Seven Nation Army is completely forgettable. This is coming from a big White Stripes fan. I own all their albums, have been a Third Man Vault member for years, and have seen them, and JW solo, a dozen times.

I don’t really listen to the radio or watch much TV so it kind of took me by surprise that this is the song everyone latched on to. I don’t get the love for that riff. So many others are better and more interesting. I don’t think I’d put it in the top 50 White Stripes songs.

9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

As a kind I enjoyed the quasi-punk band "The Offspring".

I was today years old when I learned the lead singer is, like, a genius like the guy in Queen. He was valedictorian of his HS, got a Masters from USC before getting a phD in molecular biology. Pretty fly for a white guy?

I fucking loved Offspring as a kid.  "Smash" still slams.  I remember when "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" coming out (I was in 8th grade), and having my first "hipster" moment where I rolled my eyes at everyone who was just now becoming a huge fan.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:48 AM, Tom said:

One Arm Lep and Two Arm Lep might as well be two different bands.  High & Dry and Pyromania were pre-hair metal masterpieces...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Def Leppard is awesome..... but not a fan of Pour Some Sugar On Me.” Other than their attempts at ballads, my least favorite song.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Mumford & Sons is U2 with mandolins and vests.

Red Rocks agrees with this statement.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, dcbc said:

Also, unpopular opinion:  Son Volt's first 1.5 albums was better than Wilco, generally. 

Son Volt was FAAAARRRR superior to Wilco in the beginning.

I saw Son Volt one time in LA at the El Rey theater and it was a great time. I saw Wilco one time at McFarlin Auditorium on the SMU campus and started to fall asleep two or three times. I don't give a shit about watching people test the feedback acoustics of a university auditorium for 5 to 12 minutes at a time.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

I bought REM's "MONSTER" at Tower Records, took it home, tried to listen to it, and it sucked so hard that I took it back the next day and actually got my money back!

I saw them twice in concert. Once at the State Fair Bandshell... which was pretty awesome and once at SMU's Moody Coliseum, which was a pretty good time as well, but it was a weeknight, so I had to lie to my parents and tell them that I was going to study at the SMU Law library. After getting dropped off, with my backpack of books, I waited and then walked over to Moody and took my backpack into the concert. That part kind of sucked, but the concert was good.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, CooterBrown said:

Seven Nation Army is completely forgettable. This is coming from a big White Stripes fan. I own all their albums, have been a Third Man Vault member for years, and have seen them, and JW solo, a dozen times... I don’t think I’d put it in the top 50 White Stripes songs.

You obviously are not much of a fan of attending sporting events and getting drunk and screaming your head off. Especially not for a soccer match in Europe.