Jump to content
Topper13

Your unpopular music opinions

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2020 at 12:26 AM, Hate said:

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone that isn't a fan of the Grateful Dead.  I can understand why you aren't a fan, but I feel sorry that you didn't get it.  I'm sure there were some people that didn't like Beethoven, Mozart, or Hayden so I can understand how it happens.

Too many people insisting “dude, if you just hear this hissy, conversation-filled Tandy hand-held microcassette recording of the 53-minute drum solo in the transition between Franklin’s Tower to Stagger Lee from the 3rd Alpine Valley show in 1976, you’ll be hooked for life!”. I became a fan in spite of that.

And don’t even get me started on listening to recordings of Space. The saying is true - there’s nothing like a Grateful Dead concert. There are, however, many, many, many things like a Grateful Dead tape collection....

Edited by Ignatius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found that most people have strong preconceived notions about the grateful dead and their music. If you play a song and don't tell them who it is, they're surprised to learn that it's the GD. The fan base is so cult like and off putting that most people dismiss the music before they've ever heard a note. I don't blame them. Phish has the same problem except they're legitimately a terrible band, deserving of the bad rap they receive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stc said:

Phish has the same problem except they're legitimately a terrible band, deserving of the bad rap they receive. 

If you've heard 1 Phish song, you've heard them all. Fight me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Too many people insisting “dude, if you just hear this hissy, conversation-filled Tandy hand-held microcassette recording of the 53-minute drum solo in the transition between Franklin’s Tower to Stagger Lee from the 3rd Alpine Valley show in 1976, you’ll be hooked for life!”. I became a fan in spite of that.

And don’t even get me started on listening to recordings of Space. The saying is true - there’s nothing like a Grateful Dead concert. There are, however, many, many, many things like a Grateful Dead tape collection....

Yeah, being way too young to have ever seen the Dead, I came to by a fine via the oft maligned "Skeletons From The Closet" comp.  I was in high school and borrowed it from a buddy who stole it from his folks' CD collection.  I remember listening to it on a brilliant fall Sunday driving somewhere to get tractor parts and thinking "I know this song, and had no idea it was the Dead!" on multiple occasions.  Every time I try to dig into some random show, I just can't do it.

I spend way more time with their studio stuff, because so much of the endless live stuff available sounds like shit to me.  Other than Europe '72, which I've always loved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, being way too young to have ever seen the Dead, I came to by a fine via the oft maligned "Skeletons From The Closet" comp.  I was in high school and borrowed it from a buddy who stole it from his folks' CD collection.  I remember listening to it on a brilliant fall Sunday driving somewhere to get tractor parts and thinking "I know this song, and had no idea it was the Dead!" on multiple occasions.  Every time I try to dig into some random show, I just can't do it.

I spend way more time with their studio stuff, because so much of the endless live stuff available sounds like shit to me.  Other than Europe '72, which I've always loved.

You need to step into the GD thread and poke around then. I get the really spacey and jamming dislike. Some of it I’m not a huge fan of. I like their early bluesy stuff, but some of the really psychedelic stuff I’ve never really gotten into because I don’t do acid. Now their 70’s and 80’s years where they were just a pure rock and roll jam band?? That’s great fucking stuff and the scene at shows is what really converts you. It’s the most accepting and positive vibe I’ve ever been around. At any rate, search out “Trucking up to Buffalo” on YouTube. It’s from 7/4/89 and is a fantastic show. Or you could check out their most revered show, 5/8/77 and see how you feel after listening to it. It might change your mind...or not, but you will at least have your kind changed a little bit about any preconceived notions you might have about them.

 

Mostly agree with the Phish dislike though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hate said:

You need to step into the GD thread and poke around then. I get the really spacey and jamming dislike. Some of it I’m not a huge fan of. I like their early bluesy stuff, but some of the really psychedelic stuff I’ve never really gotten into because I don’t do acid. Now their 70’s and 80’s years where they were just a pure rock and roll jam band?? That’s great fucking stuff and the scene at shows is what really converts you. It’s the most accepting and positive vibe I’ve ever been around. At any rate, search out “Trucking up to Buffalo” on YouTube. It’s from 7/4/89 and is a fantastic show. Or you could check out their most revered show, 5/8/77 and see how you feel after listening to it. It might change your mind...or not, but you will at least have your kind changed a little bit about any preconceived notions you might have about them.

 

Mostly agree with the Phish dislike though.

I would have loved to actually see them live.  I'm just saying it's hard for me to listen to the majority of the live recordings floating around and really getting it from this view point.

I think they have a lot of great songs that stand up to the test of time, and I love quite a few of their albums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Never aquired a taste for the Dead but I really really like licorice. 

Whatever, Reagan. 

I finally had my coming to Jesus moment the other night.  I realized why I loved seeing the Grateful Dead live (24 shows if you include their other incarnations like The Other Ones, Furthur, and Dead & Co.), but don't really have all that much fun listening to them live at home.  I mean, I have about 2 or 3 versions of each of my 40 or 50 favorite songs carefully cultivated from their 50+ years of playing those songs.  But I can't just sit and listen to a 4 hour show, save for maybe 2-3x year on vinyl.  It's because I don't do drugs.  You can't sit and drink through a Dead show for 4 hours these days.  It's really, really hard.  When I was there live, a few drinks and a toke off a joint that was getting passed down the row.  That was all I needed.  There just aren't enough drugs for me to sit and listen to a 4 hour/2-set show at home.  

I really, really wish there were though...

Unpopular music opinion......every year I try to give Aerosmith a chance because in my old age, I appreciate longevity.  They are fucking horrible and you're a fucking child if you still like them.  They have almost zero redeeming qualities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that’s the difference for a lot of people. I can easily listen to a 3 or 4 hour show with our without drugs. Sometimes I’ll listen to a show I’ve hear a hundred times and notice something I didn’t notice before. But I truly get those that don’t feel that way and don’t necessarily hold it against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Unpopular music opinion......every year I try to give Aerosmith a chance because in my old age, I appreciate longevity.  They are fucking horrible and you're a fucking child if you still like them.  They have almost zero redeeming qualities.  

Three of their albums are among my favorites ever (Get your Wings, Rocks and Toys) . They should have stayed on drugs because the drivel they put out past 1979 was embarrassing and shat on their legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Unpopular music opinion......every year I try to give Aerosmith a chance because in my old age, I appreciate longevity.  They are fucking horrible and you're a fucking child if you still like them.  They have almost zero redeeming qualities.  

Yeah Aerosmith fucking sucks. They're like a really shitty version of Led Zeppelin. I'm not sure I enjoy listening to anything of theirs past Dream On and Sweet Emotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Three of their albums are among my favorites ever (Get your Wings, Rocks and Toys) 

This.. C'mon

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's actually surprisingly difficult to come up with an example of an artist who got sober and started writing better songs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

No shit.  That's a fun drinking game or another thread idea.  Who got sober/got religion and actually became a better songwriter/performer?  I mean, there are plenty of musicians who eventually went sober and still play their old hits really well, but they're drawing from a catalog soaked in drugs and alcohol.  But yeah, who was already on the big stage, then goes sober, and who continues to put out stuff just as good or better?  Eric Clapton, Elton John, Trey Anatasio, Joe Walsh, Tom Waits, Izzy Stradlin, Steven Tyler, et. al.  Nope, I would strongly contend that all of them have one thing in common-----their new songs are nowhere near as good nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BJ Barham from American Aquarium got better when he got sober.

Jason Isbell’s best album was post sobriety, but everything since has been pretty weak by comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...