Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

On 9/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, Lobo said:

Whatever, Trump.  /noCR  ;)

If you take out "The Final Cut", which is really just a Waters solo album with some Pink Floyd personnel playing on some songs and having no writing/producing input.  Their run from Meddle in '71 to Momentary Lapse of Reason in '87...that's maybe the best 7 consecutive album run in rock history.  That's probably gonna be unpopular with many on here, and I know it's an arbitrary number, 7 records in a row. 

But to me, that run is probably the best of anyone.  Zeppelin suffers a bit because "Presence" (while a good album) drops them off a cliff after I-IV, HofH, and Physical Graffiti.  I think the Beatles run from "Help" to "Let it Be" would be on that list at 10 albums on the run, if it were not for "Magical Mystery Tour" stuck in the middle there of that historic run, just waiting to suck and so I give my capricious award to Pink Floyd.  Honorable Mention to the Black Keys from "The Big Come Up" thru "El Camino" for a cool 7-straighter

I love Presence. Page's guitar work is phenomenal.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20668-presence-in-through-the-out-door-coda/

Listen to it with a good set of headphones.

Edited by Deej

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Stones are my favorite band of all time, but the pre-Beggar’s Banquet stuff is reeeaaally uneven. They didn’t become great until they quit trying to be the Beatles.

Or until they quit trying to be Memphis Delta bluesmen recording a bunch of covers and started relying on their own songwriting ability.

That said, Out Of Our Heads is still in my top 5 Stones albums. Of course, my top 5 includes Goat’s Head Soup, so YMMV....

Edited by Ignatius

13 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Or until they quit trying to be Memphis Delta bluesmen recording a bunch of covers and started relying on their own songwriting ability.

If you watch any interview with Keef, he always points out that their primary goal as a band was to bring the Delta Blues to England. 

Yep. It’s in his biography too. I think it was the typical teenager approach of adopting the most outlandish shocking thing they can to scare and piss off the grownups. For them in the UK in the late 50s and early 60s that was American delta blues.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

1. Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band of all time.

2. Blues music is boring.

You go to hell, you hear me?  

I think at some point you could say that Led Zeppelin was overly-romanticized in the mainstream, but those days are over.  Just the dedicated fans are left talking about them, you never hear them on the radio or in commercials/movies.  I still love them, my top 3 favorite bands of all-time...hands down.  

Yes, some blues music is boring.  But it's my favorite genre.  I think it's because I got hooked into it at such a young age by my dad and we grew up in a blues-city.   I can't listen to B.B. King or John Mayall.  But I love most of it.  

Hotel California might be the most complete, perfect first song to last comprehensible and thematically coherent concept albums of all time and by itself elevates The Eagles from a dominant band of their era to greatness.

Break up with your first love, drop some acid and just as it's kicking in drop the needle on those shimmering, iconic opening notes. By the time the soaring strings of The Last Resort is moon shooting yer brains thru the cloud deck, you got a whole new perspective on life, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Its also the last album I saw played live the weekend before covid closed the world. Fingers really wrote a masterpiece.

The bookends of Hotel California and The Last Resort almost make the middle 70s narrative of the album a lay-up, but instead the band just jams it with classics, and the one Walsh song that isn't part of the Americana lexicon, Pretty Maids All In A Row, is beautiful and perfectly segues the entire narrative.

I know it's hip to hate them, but that album is almost seamless.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I was going to start a Jimmy Buffett thread here but searching saw a lot of comments in this one.

he’s amazing. Someone said his music is the people’s music - that’s totally it. For anyone that loves being on the water he can take it to 11.

listened to Tin Cup Chalice tonight and wanted to come post how awesome he is.  

Down at the Lah De Dah is ridiculously amazing.  

When you're back at work at your 9 to 5
And it's pourin' rain on your mornin' drive
You'll remember when you were last alive
Down at the Lah De Dah

Down at the Lah De Dah
There's a perfect margarita in a mason jar
At the end of the world in a sea of dreams
Where the ocean smiles and the seagulls scream
We all know just how lucky we are”

Pirate Looks at 40 - one of my all time favs. Holy crap! “Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, canons don’t thunder there’s nothing to plunder l, I’m an over 40 victim of fate, arriving too late.”  One of the greatest verses in all of music for anyone who loves being on the sea. 

Son of a Son of a Sailor is top of the list too. 

Come Monday IS amazballs as someone said above.

I can be a down right music snob, growing up didn’t even list to top 40, I was rummaging through the anthologies of the great jazz vocalists and shit. I would have rather jammed out to 70s funk music that whoever was popular at the time.  I circled back to pop music of my youth and have an appreciation for it now but with all of my music snobbery Jimmy Buffett has always been at the top.  He’s just it.  Fucking money.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, troph said:

Pirate Looks at 40 - one of my all time favs. Holy crap! “Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, canons don’t thunder there’s nothing to plunder l, I’m an over 40 victim of fate, arriving too late.”  One of the greatest verses in all of music for anyone who loves being on the sea. 

"Made enough money to buy Miami but pissed it away so fast" Lived it and have seen it so many times in the oilfield it has to be my favorite lyric of all time.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 11:49 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

While I respect their talent, I have absolutely no desire to listen to a song by a virtuoso guitar player like Vai, Satriani etc...

What about Steve Vai shredding on a song about Steve Vai by Frank Zappa? (Based on a true story of rock ‘n’ roll decadence.)

I keep seeing promos for Jimmy Carter Rock and Roll President on CNN for 9PM tonight 1/3. Looks like Allman Bros, Rosanne Cash, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Buffett, Paul Simon to name a few in the documentary. He wasn't hip but yet maybe he was if all these fuckers dug his chili. I'm gonna forgo my usual Masterpiece Theater and give it a watch. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, tbone_ said:

I would if the song was good. I think Satriani actually has a couple. Vai, not so much.

Satriani playing at a destruction derby is just so incredibly white.  I feel like he should do a project where he alternates every other song with Wu-Tang.  Like a chicken and waffles kind of thing.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:49 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

While I respect their talent, I have absolutely no desire to listen to a song by a virtuoso guitar player like Vai, Satriani etc...

Just as some of you are bored by the blues; this type of music bores me. It’s just so monotonous.

KUTX has become a lot less listenable over the past six months. I personally feel like they were plenty representative of artists like Adia Victoria, Devon Gilfillian, Gary Clark Jr, etc, but maybe when they said they felt really really bad and naughty about their track record of providing representation of black artists, they just meant black artists whose talent wasn't immediately evident. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been in a rental car on business last three days. Apparently the new Killers song is popular since they play it a dozen times a day.

I fucking hate it. To the point of turning the radio off. I don’t think I’ve ever been angry at a song since We Built This City but this is it.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:37 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Everyone likes Creed’s greatest hits. Everyone.

My Own Prison was a pretty good Pearl Jam rip off.

It got real fucking ridiculous after that.  I'd argue that Creed was "worse" than Nickleback, and by a significant margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My Own Prison was a pretty good Pearl Jam rip off.

It got real fucking ridiculous after that.  I'd argue that Creed was "worse" than Nickleback, and by a significant margin.

Honestly when I think of creeds greatest hits im talking about “higher”, “my sacrifice”, “with arms wide open”, and “one last breath”. I refuse to believe there’s anyone that doesn’t like those 4 songs, even for how cringe worthy they are. 

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Honestly when I think of creeds greatest hits im talking about “higher”, “my sacrifice”, “with arms wide open”, and “one last breath”. I refuse to believe there’s anyone that doesn’t like those 4 songs, even for how cringe worthy they are. 

I honestly dislike all of those songs.  They were all inescapable in the early 00's.  They're all cringe worthy, and they mostly lack Creed's sole redeeming quality (the guitar player had some strong riffs at times).  It's Scott Stapp singing what are basically over wrought pop songs.

I like some objectively crappy music, so I'm not trying to be a hipster here.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I honestly dislike all of those songs.  They were all inescapable in the early 00's.  They're all cringe worthy, and they mostly lack Creed's sole redeeming quality (the guitar player had some strong riffs at times).  It's Scott Stapp singing what are basically over wrought pop songs.

I like some objectively crappy music, so I'm not trying to be a hipster here.

I get what you’re saying, but usually for me, i can revisit a “played out” song a few years later and remember why it was so popular. That’s how I’ve always been with those creed songs. Because you’re right, they were extremely played out in the early 2000s

No. Those are terrible. Do not want.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1