Sushi

futureman

sushi is probably my absolute favorite food to gorge on... we all know about uchi/uchiko.  where else do y’all get good sushi in town?

I enjoy komé.  DK’s on north lamar can be fun.  I’ve spent thousands of dollars on sushi-zushi delivery while fucked up and was always pretty pleased.  where are some other good places?

Not saying it's top quality, but a fun way to introduce kids to sushi if you don't want to awkwardly hog a few spots at the sushi bar with a 5 year old is Kura on Airport Blvd.  The little conveyor belt deal is a neat way for them to order and anticipate their plates.  Plus see what else there is to be had out there in Sushi world.  

Also not tremendously great, but about the best you're gonna get up and down Loop 360 for a business lunch, Izumi Sushi at 360/2244.  Not the best place to do a serious dinner tasting, but a great and fresh variety for a quick(ish) lunch.  Haven't been there during Covid-19, so no idea on that.  But it's by far the best sushi for several miles in any direction in that part of town.  

Edited by Lobo

when it comes to sushi, 'not top quality' and 'not tremendously great' are pretty much non-starters for me.

i mean, a mediocre burger or plate of enchiladas is manageable, but a mouthful of 'not great' raw fish is an absolute deal breaker lol

never had a bad piece at Kome 👍

Edited by mchookem

That's why I only recommended one for kids.  And the other was merely a lunch suggestion if you're anywhere on the 360 corridor or west Austin which doesn't have much in the way of sushi offerings.  I prefer Uchi, Musashino, and Kome like most on here.  Was simply trying to offer up some alternatives for times out with kids or business lunch.  Neither are world-class, but well above average.  Fukumoto in East Austin was a rising star for me before the pandemic.  I look forward to trying that again soon.  

There's a dozen strip center sushi joints in North Austin that are all as bad as the next one.   

On 8/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, RexWilson said:

Mikado at 183/Burnet

I was skeptical beforehand but after trying Sushi Junai 2 (all you can eat) I found it to be good and it gets frequent rotation.

well I’ll be god damned.  I’ve done this in california but I didn’t know we had it here.  how good is it?

On 8/30/2020 at 12:48 PM, utee94 said:

Soto by Lakeline Mall.

Tomodachi on Parmer

Osaka on Anderson Mill (they also have Korean)

(I obviously live NW) :)

Do NOT listen to this man!  Ignore what he is saying.  Stores are closed.  No Need to go to any of these places.  Must go elsewhere.  Sorry.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 12:51 PM, hornbri said:

Soto is really good (both locations)

Osaka as mentioned is our go to. 

Haru Sushi in gateway is good, lots of lunch combo choices. 

Tomo is a fun place when we can go eat out again. 

Went to Otoko last night based on the sushi we had as part of the normal tasting, if you do the sushi tasting on Wednesday's (when it comes back) to will easily be my personal favorite based on quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, hornian said:

Ebisu in NW Austin (183 just south of Anderson Mill) is solid. Their lunch specials are top notch and a lot of bang for the buck. 

Thanks, I've been wondering how that place was.

That's been the location of death for so many restaurants, including a second location of Hoover's that was just not great, sadly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I’m not sure it fits best for this thread, but tried the Uchiba happy hour yesterday.  We ordered pretty much the whole menu (whole, happy hour menu, that is).  

The food was good with a couple of highlights but definitely inferior to uchi and uchiko (I don’t know if that’s purely be design but they are going for something more informal-the server described it as Tyson Cole’s take on Japanese street food or bar food).  

Drinks, by contrast, were amazing, and $10 happy hour cocktails were a great value.  If you’re on a non-uchi budget I think you can grab a couple of their hamburgers ($8.50 a piece, delicious if small) and have a fine fine time just sampling cocktails.  

Otherwise, they are doing a lot with eggplant and the pork belly skewers were perfectly rendered if a little bland (they won’t change your life but they were the next best protein after the burger).  Somewhat surprisingly, all of the sashimi bites were fine but not better-stick to uchi or uchiko if you prefer their happy hour menus for fish.  

• Hook 'Em 1