2020 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

This is gonna be some crazy shit. Play starts at 10 am Monday, ESPN coverage at 11. 

Men's draw

If you had to place $100 on Novak or the field, who you taking? 

Women's draw

One could make a legitimate case for 20 different winners here. Just to be different, I'll go with the immortal Petra Martic as my dark horse. Of course, she could just as easily be done tomorrow. 

I like watching Giorgi play. 

She’s nice to watch, she crushes the ball, she seems more intense than even Rafa. I’m not sure whether she plays because she likes tennis or she feels like the world will end if she’s doesn give it her all on every point. 

She also looks like she feels that she is supposed to have classic feminine accoutrements, but seems like she puts up with the fakes and the makeup so that she can get back to training her ass off. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We have an early lead for most-WTA match of the tourney, may be hard to beat. Kiki Mladenovic was serving at 6-1, 5-1, wound up losing 1-6, 6-7(2), 0-6. 

Fucking ouch. 

I tried to read a recap of this match but it was all gibberish.  What happened?

This is pretty awesome, first tourney since Wimbly ‘17. And she’s still hot. 

Tsvetana Pironkova smacked an ace on match point, part of the balancing act she made look easy from start to finish Thursday.

The shot punctuated a 7-5, 6-3 upset win over No. 10-seeded Garbine Muguruzain the second round of the US Open, Pironkova's first tournament after a three-year break to give birth to her son, Alexander.

"If you make a good schedule and have the right motivation, you can combine the two things, motherhood and being a professional tennis player," Pironkova said. "It takes a lot of work but, you know, everything takes work."

A 32-year-old Bulgarian, Pironkova gave birth to Alexander in April 2018. She is playing in her 12th Open but her first since 2016, and it's her first tournament since Wimbledon in 2017.

"It's just great to be playing without that extra pressure I had on myself before," Pironkova said. "Before it was almost like a life-and-death situation for me to win a match. Right now, it's not really like that. It's enjoyment to be on the court."

Pironkova has no ranking because of her layoff, but she was a 2010 Wimbledon semifinalist, and is playing in the US Open for the 12th time.

The win over Muguruza was Pironkova's 22nd against a top-20 player.

"It's not something super new," Pironkova said. "I was moving well and hitting the ball well. Why not win?"

In other second-round matches, Amanda Anisimova won a faceoff of American teenagers, rallying past wild card Katrina Scott 4-6, 6-4, 6-1. Reigning Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin also advanced, beating unseeded Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3.

Anisimova, 19, a surprise semifinalist at the French Open last year, steadied her game in the second set and pulled away.

Scott, 16, is ranked 637th and was coming off her first tour-level victory in the opening round Tuesday, when she made her debut in the main draw of a Grand Slam. Anisimova, who is seeded 22nd, won the girls' singles at the Open in 2017.

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Re: Tsvetana Pironkova

This is pretty awesome, first tourney since Wimbly ‘17. And she’s still hot. 

If she starts losing at some point, will she scream at the chair umpire that she is a mother and therefore the rules don't apply to her?

Also:

Sloane Stephens looks like the 23 year-old Sloane. She looks slimmer (for her) and focused. She hasn't given a shit about tennis for about a year now.

Madison Keys is playing an apparent gang member from Spain and had better watch out for a shiv during changeovers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

If Big Momma doesn’t choke tonight, ESPN gets their dream R3 with Sloane. 

I wouldn't mind a Sloane 6-2 6-2 victory in under 60 minutes over Serena.

But if Serena wants to lose tonight, then I will be fine with that as well.

I might watch the Sakkari vs Anisimova match in Super Slo-Mo.