2020 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Thiem just has to hit it back to Cilic, who apparently will self destruct if given a 5 shot rally.  This is terrible.

Colic seems to have always been as mentally fragile as any number of mid-‘80s closeted WTA players that Martina & Chrissy would crush with regularity. He’s capable of spectacular shots and spectacular collapses. 

SIDE NOTE: Is this year’s men’s tournament secretly The Canadian Open?

SIDE NOTE #1:

I like classic Fender guitar pastel colors and especially like match headstocks. For that reason, I really like Jen Brady’s outfit today/ at this tournament. 

SIDE NOTE #2:

I am a fan of Angie Kerber’s thighs. 

BACK ON TOPIC:

Brady just had a quick thigh on her heavily wrapped left hammy. Kerber is making her run around like a chicken with her head cut off (a strategy that I wish that everyone would use on Serena.). If Jen can’t close out the match on her serve right here, I think that Kerber wins in 3. 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You clearly missed Jenn’s MTO, it was comical. She came out ripping forehands even harder than before. 

Women. 

The WTA has always had crazy score lines.  Like 6-1, 0-6, 6-2.  I don’t really think it’s mental frailty as much as parity that can easily go either way and the lack of dominance on serve.

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You clearly missed Jenn’s MTO, it was comical. She came out ripping forehands even harder than before. 

Women. 

Yes, I turned on the TV at 6-1 5-3. 

When Zverev is on/ playing an inferior opponent, he looks like a Top 3 player. Not frequently the case when he is up against Top 10 players. 

I’m not sure whether I am familiar with Putintseva, but I am a fan. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Yes, I turned on the TV at 6-1 5-3. 

When Zverev is on/ playing an inferior opponent, he looks like a Top 3 player. Not frequently the case when he is up against Top 10 players. 

I’m not sure whether I am familiar with Putintseva, but I am a fan. 

She's running out of service breaks after being up 5-1 in the third.

1599px-2014_US_Open_(Tennis)_-_Qualifyin

81NYNJlv4QL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Carreno Busta, serving at 0-40 and 4-5 in the first set, challenges an “Out!” call for the set that is overturned by a millimeter. He then comes back and holds. 

Now Djokovic stumbles to get to a passing shot serving at 0-15 and not only doesn’t get to the ball, but appears to have jammed his left shoulder upon bracing himself. (Gamesmanship?) there is now an injury TO while he gets a massage. 

Play only stopped about 3 to 4 minutes  

Women: Rogers & Kvitová Are now on serve in a 1st set tiebreaker  

LINE LADY COLLAPSES as Djokiovic hits a ball back to the ballboy area and it hits the lady. He appeared to have his hand up to saying “No!” before it even hit the lady. It obviously wasn’t intentional, but he’ll likely be docked some point(s) or a game... 

Which would give Carreno Busta the first set. 

EDIT: A replay looked like he hit the lady in the face, maybe an eye. 

Carreno Busto is getting the shaft having to wait twice due to Djokovic’s drama. 

Edited by Napoleon

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yes, but the rule book is very specific according to the talking tennisheads. 

Oh no doubt by the rules he should be penalized.  If it were Rafa or Roger they would have likely been treated differently.  Djokovic is such an unlikeable guy that the call seemed easy.  I meant 2020 because who hits a ball off to the side into someone's throat?

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Whoa, Shelby wins! 

She handled it like she’d been there before. So hard to do, but she just kept fighting. 

So huge for her. (I’d never heard of her before the tournament in Kentucky.) crazy to see “breakthroughs” in the mid-late 20s from Rogers & Brady.