2020 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

Pretty remarkable tennis throughout actually.  Zverev aquitted himself very well, and I am sure he is going to be a top player if he can continue to improve his mental strength (the double faulting has to stop).  

Thiem played just a little better overall, and throughout the tournament seemed the most complete player besides Djoker.  I still don't think anyone beats Djokovic this tournament but who knows?  RG should be really fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

That was some of the worst championship men’s tennis I’ve ever seen in the 5th set. 85mph 1st serves and 70mph 2nd?

They were both nervous as hell. Really puts into perspective how much better the Big 3 are mentally in big moment. You hardly ever see them tighten up in the biggest moments....if anything they play better.

• Hook 'Em 1

The way they ended the match was embarrassing. 

I thought that the winner would have the monkey off of his back and take this confidence into future majors, but it was choke city. No way either of those guys would leave with the trophy thinking that they were a legitimate Grand Slam champ. 

This title was going to have an asterisk by it in their heads until they won another Grand Slam. Neither of them looked like they should have been in the final after Zverev was broken in the 3rd.

Zverev in the first two sets?... Yes. (Even after getting broken late.) But after early in the 3rd, he didn’t look like he even belonged in a final, much less deserved to be champ. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

That was some of the worst championship men’s tennis I’ve ever seen in the 5th set. 85mph 1st serves and 70mph 2nd?

That was in the tiebreak. The fifth set had very high quality tennis until Zverev got the opportunity to serve out the match. Then he lost all confidence in his serve while Thiem stopped booming his backhand.

9 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah it was entertaining to watch each guy choke, but the quality was pretty much awful. Pretty bad stuff

The three or four Thiem forehand winners were pretty spectacular.  We’ve been spoiled by the big 3.  Go back and watch Roddick or the early 2000s opens and tell me this was worse.  

I didn’t see Thiem choke but it’s perspectives I guess.