Expedition To The Edge

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

I watched the first one and thought it was good. Need to watch last nights. I wouldn’t trust that boat for that trip. But the owners is definitely industrious

Industrious, yes, but this is  a project that requires you to be well funded.  They most certainly are not.

There's a really good documentary on Amazon prime called Following Seas about a family that sailed the world in the 60's and 70's.  They built their own concrete sailboat after their first boat sank.  The 2nd boat ended up sinking too.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

There's a really good documentary on Amazon prime called Following Seas about a family that sailed the world in the 60's and 70's.  They built their own concrete sailboat after their first boat sank.  The 2nd boat ended up sinking too.

Homebuilt ferro cement boats are what give this type of build a bad name.  And there are a ton of trash homebuilt boats out there.  I personally would NEVER cross an ocean on a cement boat.  And I sure as hell would go ice crushing in one.

Just my observations so far.1-Why leave from BFE in the Pacific?  Why not have everyone meet and start repairs at Dutch? Shipping parts would certainly have been easier.  Plus you'd have a much better "eye" or "feel" for the ice melting back and be ready to roll out at the drop of a hat.  2-The so called sail repair IMO was done to create a little drama, however, it is a known variable that the winds will blow beyond gale force on this trip.  So was this done for TV drama or a sneaky move to stiffen the sails beforehand in anticipation of high wind?. 3-kids closed in for months at a time with a crew that needs to be able to rest.  Not good thinking.  I've done 4 trips across the GOM from Tampa to Freeport.  It's tough even with people you like.4-Getting into the galley chief's ass while at harbor; not a good idea unless you have a back up in mind.  Most likely, I'd tell him kiss my ass I'm outta here.  I'll give it a couple more episodes before I anchor down with it and stay or sail on to other adventures.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:49 PM, Updawg said:

I’m in. But a lot of early drama

What’s the deal with cement boats. I have no idea about them.

IF they are made by a reputable boat builder, they can be good.  But a very large number of them are pieces of shit because they are homebuilt because it is the easiest, cheapest way to build.  And those are notoriously shitty.  And he rescued this thing off the scrap heap.  So I would be very suspect.  Just watched ep 3 and the one guy who has done numerous attempts at this seemed like he thought these people were nuts/stupid.  And having the little likes on board just seems beyond stupid.  This trip is meant to be very well funded and on a very stout steel hulled boat.  I am a bit suspect of how much they are just winging on a trip like this.  Oh, and add in the “everyone has to eat vegan” edict and I’d tell the captain to get fucked.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, futureman said:

nothing can top shackleton and a handful of men sailing 800 miles from elephant island to south georgia in a lifeboat with primitive navigation equipment.  the drake passage is the worst piece of water on earth. 

I read a short story on that, and it was freaking intense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, futureman said:

nothing can top shackleton and a handful of men sailing 800 miles from elephant island to south georgia in a lifeboat with primitive navigation equipment.  the drake passage is the worst piece of water on earth. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272839/

This was a good movie on Shackleton with Kenneth Branagh, when I was searching for it on Google, I saw Tom Hardy is supposedly doing a movie on him soon also.

• Hook 'Em 1

First, they didn't sail like the old dudes of the day.  They were under engine power most of the way in the ice.  Second, I find it weirdly coincidental that the Canuck Coast Guard icebreaker passed through the straight E to W.  Then turned around and went W to E.   I guess he got paid somehow.  I wouldn't get on a boat with him.  

So the next adventure is 2021 to Antarctica.  Amsterdam to Antarctica in that POS.  Nyet.  Again, I'm not sailing the super high latitudes in anything but a steel hull, and especially not in a salvaged ferro junker.

Something like this:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/schooner-bermuda--3477400/

Edited by Sbbruin