Question about bandwidth usage

I may be moving to a place in which I'm going to be tethered to the internet by my phone and the amount of tethered data that I can use will be limited.  My question .. if I tether a device like an Ipad to the phone, will it use less of my data allowance than would say a 24-inch computer monitor? I can get by with an Ipad in many ways if it's more "efficient."  In other words, does the size of the monitor impact the amount of data used?   

Also, something about the size of the monitor South Austin's mom uses. 

I think it would probably be insignificant. An increased resolution might use more data than a lower res - but your iPad could have the same res or even higher as your monitor.

I would be more worried about background apps that are using your data - which the iPad might have more of. I beleive there is a setting that is easy to toggle off for this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Size itself won't affect, but phone vs tablet vs computer will as they display different sites tailored to each.

If using a Windows PC, make sure to set your network connection as "metered" (right client connection icon in lower right corner) to prevent Windows from downloading all kinds of updates and crap in the background when you may or may not want them.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I may be moving to a place in which I'm going to be tethered to the internet by my phone and the amount of tethered data that I can use will be limited.  My question .. if I tether a device like an Ipad to the phone, will it use less of my data allowance than would say a 24-inch computer monitor?

i have nothing constructive or polite to add, except hahahahaha

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think it would probably be insignificant. An increased resolution might use more data than a lower res - but your iPad could have the same res or even higher as your monitor.

I would be more worried about background apps that are using your data - which the iPad might have more of. I beleive there is a setting that is easy to toggle off for this. 

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Size itself won't affect, but phone vs tablet vs computer will as they display different sites tailored to each.

If using a Windows PC, make sure to set your network connection as "metered" (right client connection icon in lower right corner) to prevent Windows from downloading all kinds of updates and crap in the background when you may or may not want them.

These are very good points.  I guess your phone is going to be the only thing sucking data off your connection constantly, and I suppose that's free, but any tethered device, you need to take steps to keep the "usual suspects," Windows on a laptop or pc, and various apps on an iPad or Android device, from using "background data" while tethered, as that is a waste of your GB.

it used to be that mobile sites were less bandwidth demanding than desktop sites. not sure that's the case anymore, or if it is, how much difference there is.

for example, in mobile chrome you can enable "Desktop Mode" to get the full size version of websites. however, not all websites differentiate between mobile and desktop.

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I may be moving to a place in which I'm going to be tethered to the internet by my phone

I've been  doing this since Hurricane Laura hit as my Spectrum node as of yet does not have power.

First we tried to connect the Firestick to the phone.  Yeah no.

Wife tried to connect her Amazon Fire to the phone and run Amazon Video and Netflix apps.  Yeah no.

Today I'm running my Microsoft Surface 3 - the tablet with the detachable keyboard - which is my work PC off the tethered phone, and it actually works great.  Not sure how much bandwidth it's sucking, I have unlimited (I think.  I hope so.  Whatever I have with Verizon wireless)

Netflix through a chrome browser is working like a champ, though.  Able to stream Cobra Kai with no lag.

image.thumb.png.1854723f9572e9f277ffb9b89f966cc9.png