Favorite books you've read in the last few years

BillyBadAss

Not looking for new books necessarily, just ones you've discovered as an adult and really enjoyed.

Ready Player One - I'm sure everyone knows this one by now. Must read if you were a kid in the 80s. The movie was shite by the way.. 

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller - post apocalyptic theme. Written by an outdoor magazine writer. It reminded me of a Comac Mcarthy novel, but not as overly wordy and dark. The audio version is great too. If you're a dude who enjoys the outdoors and has ever contemplated survivalist scenarios, I can't imagine you wouldn't appreciate it. 

Edited by BillyBadAss
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 10:29 PM, BillyBadAss said:

Not looking for new books necessarily, just ones you've discovered as an adult and really enjoyed.

Ready Player One - I'm sure everyone knows this one by now. Must read if you were a kid in the 80s. The movie was shite by the way.. 

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller - post apocalyptic theme. Written by an outdoor magazine writer. It reminded me of a Comac Mcarthy novel, but not as overly wordy and dark. The audio version is great too. If you're a dude who enjoys the outdoors and has ever contemplated survivalist scenarios, I can't imagine you wouldn't appreciate it. 

Dog Stars was good.  Thanks for the rec.

Ready Player One loaded in the Kindle and next up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I haven't read any of his stuff, but I practice Stoicism, and A Man in Full is on the recommended reading list. The blurb on the back didn't sound super compelling to me, but you'd recommend it?

Don't know Stoicism, but A Man in Full is a terrific novel.  Wolfe develops all of the characters so well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, smwhorn said:

I stayed up late last night (1:00 am which is late for an old guy like me) and finished All The Light We Cannot See.  I can't decide if I liked the ending.  Great read.   Worth the effort.  Just sort of have to digest the ending I think.

I thought the ending was alright.  I guess it's hard to tell any ending to a story like that.  Would love to see a well-done film adaptation of the book.

• 1 year later...

“Shantaram,” by Gregory David Robert, is an amazing novel,  though more so for its story than its writing. It’s very well written, certainly, but Roberts doesn’t delight with word choice, like, say, Rushdie (“The Moor’s Last Sigh.”)

I’d also recommend “The Hummingbird’s Daughter,” by Luis Alberto Urrea. Excellent book.

“Moths flew off the bean field, like the wind had been painted white, and shattered.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 8:29 PM, BillyBadAss said:

Downloaded The Dog Stars last night, I figured a good global pandemic survivor novel is appropriate reading now.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:00 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I’d agree if I weren’t so fascinated by India. “Moor’s.” “Shantaram.” 

“All the Light” had receded in my mind, but  your mention of  “Underworld” made an instant connection.

61UNRa2iLKL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Mongol-Empire-Its-Rise-Legacy/dp/1412805198/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=mongol+empire&qid=1605240866&sr=8-8

I've mentioned this before. It's like reading one of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories but true and better. In fact, this whole bit from the movie...

... is not in any of Robert E. Howard's stories.

It's on page 95 of Prawdin's book.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Read that about 10 years ago, and it’s awesome.
All The Light We Cannot See is one of the most powerful books I’ve read in the past few years.

Read this last week. Fastest book I’ve ever read - couldn’t put it down. Just finished The Killer Inside Me.

I need something like The Light to jump on next. My wife has a list but figured I’d check here first.