Fletcher's at Golden Chick

DallasHorn26

On 9/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, Errestaurants said:

Never been to a Golden Chick but im sure they will fuck this up like they've done to Fireside Pies since taking ownership. 

Their food doubtless compares favorably to Dickensian gruel, but never having sampled the latter I would sidestep betting on the former.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Continental Op said:

The lines for this will be absolute bullshit.

My teenager works at Golden Chick. He said some dude walked in an ordered a dozen last night. Apparently there's been a stream of enthusiastic people showing up just for the corn dogs.

23 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Went today as a test run for game day, and they'll have to iron out a quite few kinks between now and October 10th for me to go back.  Flavor was good, but you can definitely tell they aren't pros at hand dipping them. Also looked like they laid the corn dogs down in the basket and then lowered it into the oil because half of it was mangled and not the right texture or consistency. Then they put it in a box with a couple of mustard packets that became so greasy they were nearly impossible to open. Had to bite the edge of the packet, and I don't care to do that in non-Covid times. Also had the joy of waiting 15 minutes for my food in the drive thru...all in all, not good, Bob.

281 and Stone Oak Pkwy lcoation

Critical question.  Was the mustard Heinz?  

Heinz mustard seems to have a high vinegar content, or the vinegar is more acid than most.  It is important that it be Heinz.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Critical question.  Was the mustard Heinz?  

Heinz mustard seems to have a high vinegar content, or the vinegar is more acid than most.  It is important that it be Heinz.

Didn't pay close attention as I was cursing my inability to get them open, but I do believe it was Heinz...like 95% sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll probably fat out on Saturday and get a Fletcher's Corn Dog and Long John Silver's chicken planks up in Greenspoint. I will be packing my own mustard and malt vinegar respectively to avoid some of the pitfalls experienced up thread. 

I came. 

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Get an order of the extra batter bits from LJS. Roll the corn dog is mustard and then dip in the crunchy LJS bits. Maybe put a little malt vinegar over the end product. 

This kind of great American thinking is why we have put a man on the moon, and other countries have not.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Had a fletcher's and fried okra for lunch today.  Pretty nice Friday if you ask me.  The mustard packet was definitely Heinz. 

A beer in a wax cup and a snaggletooth meth head to make fun of would have taken things to 11.

Plenty of homeless folks in the area around the one on North Lamar that would fit the bill.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2020 at 2:57 PM, Deej said:

Get an order of the extra batter bits from LJS. Roll the corn dog in mustard and then dip in the crunchy LJS bits. Maybe put a little malt vinegar over the end product. 

homer simpson animation GIF

And I'm living a stone's throw from the one on North Lamar right now. It is a colorful area... to say the least.

I'm sure you are familiar with the black guy that spends all day dancing on that corner.

Edited by ztejas

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And I'm living a stone's throw from the one on North Lamar right now. It is a colorful area... to say the least.

I'm sure you are familiar with the black guy that spends all day dancing on that corner.

Dancing Rundberg Guy? Of course. He’s been on that corner for about a decade. 

I went to a Golden Chick on Spears Road in Houston earlier today. The corn dog was pretty good, but not close to the State Fair quality. They didn’t get the texture right, and I think they’re using a cheaper hot dog. It was definitely hand battered. It took them 30 minutes to make it and it was oddly shaped. 

I slammed some Long John Silver’s chicken planks with malt vinegar afterwards. It was great. 

On 9/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, ztejas said:

On 9/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Deej said:

Dancing Rundberg Guy? Of course. He’s been on that corner for about a decade. 

broderick james.  he has his own verified twitter too.

for my money fletcher's without the state fair atmosphere is just an overpriced corn dog.  you can get 18 Bar S corn dogs for $5 at HEB.  taste just as good as fletcher's if you're not able to laugh at toothless sooners.  if you want you can even pour your own lukewarm beer into a wax cup.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

for my money fletcher's without the state fair atmosphere is just an overpriced corn dog.  you can get 18 Bar S corn dogs for $5 at HEB.  taste just as good as fletcher's if you're not able to laugh at toothless sooners.  if you want you can even pour your own lukewarm beer into a wax cup.  

The fact that you can get 18 Bar S hotdogs for $5 should have tipped you off that your opinion is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

So after a less than memorable dove hunt, I went out of my way to the Graham Golden Chick to fulfill my corndog fantasy.  Drive through only, waited twenty three minutes, and got a combo with fries and tea for $7.95.  Drove to the home place and dug in.  Fries meh. Tea cold and wet.  Corndog?  As memorable as the Dove hunting.  They didn't even give me any mustard.  Think I'll just go to Sonic on dollar corn dog night and eat a bunch of those next time. 

PS-The ones at the State Fair are huge.  Golden Chick's not so much.

Edited by bmbmd

these mixed reports are concerning.  and $5 each?  the fuck?  for $5 at a franchise store it better be the corn dog of the navaronne.

i wonder what the training regimen was for this roll-out?  private youtube video?

there is an art to twirling the tip in the oil before laying down the whole dog.

something something steelshank something something.

19 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

First time I went to the state fair was the first time I ever tried a corn dog. Didn't like it. The people with the food booth in the food area right in front of the cotton bowl main entrance that make the big baked potato with blacked shrimp all on it are the real fair heroes

Them fried boudin balls tho....

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

also, buncha fucking rookies on here... you dont wait till u get home to eat it... its a fried food... it gets soggy after 5 min on the road

If you eat it in the car you have to make sure and make eye contact with the dude in the next lane every time you take a bite.

Edited by threesheets

16 hours ago, futureman said:

a decent hotdog is very enjoyable.  I bought some bar s dogs once and ate half of one and trashed the rest.  they are bad. 

i find most hot dogs enjoyable.  only hot dog i remember being bad was some organic chicken and soy combination i had in san francisco.  

53 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Them fried boudin balls tho....

Definitely part of my OU gameday routine.  Sausage and kraut klobasnek and a big cuppa coffee on the early morning drive up to Dallas.  Then whiskey over ice on the walk to the gate.  Then a corndog, boudin balls, and beer for breakfast.  More whiskey during the game.  Then after the game, some fried tamale balls, and another corn dog to point tauntingly at the Sooners.  Then a long, tired drive back home, with a giant regular coke, for the caffeine and sugar.  But at least two corn dogs must be consumed -- one pre and one post game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Also frozen anything, including Fletcher's (I think there were or are frozen Fletcher's) can't hold a candle to a fresh-dipped and fried corn dog.

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i find most hot dogs enjoyable.  

Are you.....Christopher Walken?

By Christopher Walken

Do you enjoy eating hot dogs? I hope you won't be put off by my frankness when I tell you that I absolutely love them. In fact, I enjoy no food item more than a freshly-boiled hot dog. Now, I've done a lot of movies, and it's true that I've worked with quite a few celebrities who did not share this opinion. I'm sorry to say that these people have always angered me.

There are two types of people in this world: those who eat hot dogs whenever it is possible to do so, and those who opt to do other things with their free time. Who do the latter think they are kidding? What pastime could be more rewarding than the consumption of hot dogs? I haven't yet found one, and I don't expect to in my lifetime. Unlike other foods, hot dogs can be eaten at any time, in any place, and it is not necessary to cook them. Now, I ask you: Why not eat hot dogs? They are delicious.

I carry a bag of hot dogs with me wherever I go. I eat them from the bag whenever I get the urge, regardless of the circumstances. When I make a movie, my hot dogs are my co-stars. If, in the middle of a scene, I decide I want to consume a hot dog, I do so. I waste the director's time and thousands of dollars in film stock, but in the end, it is all worth it, because I enjoy eating hot dogs more than I enjoy acting. This bothers some people. I was supposed to portray Batman, but when Tim Burton learned of my hot dog cravings, he asked Michael Keaton to wear the cape. To this day, I am peeved about this.

When we filmed The Dead Zone, I ate over 800 hot dogs a day. It was necessary. My character needed to come across as intense as possible, and I found the inspiration for that intensity in my intense love for hot dogs. The director, David Cronenberg, said that he would never work with me again. I kept eating hot dogs when the cameras were rolling, and that seemed to bother him. I say fuck him. He doesn't even like hot dogs.

I would like to end by emphasizing once again that I really like to eat hot dogs. If any of you people disagree, I loathe you. I despise you. Not only that, but I also despise all your loved ones. I want to see them torn to pieces by wild dogs. If I ever meet you in person, I'll smash your brains in with a ucking bat. Then we'll see who doesn't like hot dogs.

Next week: My thoughts on Woody Allen, hot dog hater and shitty director.